mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Boo, Cayenne & M5 not so in reach. :(

Sean what did you use on your Black cars?

I am looking for a better way to detail the Xterra........................Wish it had the black interior but its more of a peanut butter set of colors.

J

A large gamut of 3M products. Same thing I use on all my cars.

I know you did ask Sean originally but I wanted to second this since he did say 3m products. A good friend of mine who has won at least one state award, probably more, for painting cars uses 3m products and nothing else. He's the biggest tight wad, farm boy, but ALWAYS uses 3m.

I think Aaron & Ryan should pipe in to. They might be more anal than me in how they detail.

Meguiars is what I'd buy if 3M weren't around.

I really don't have any specific brand I use. Most all do the same thing, buy I do have a regiment I follow.

The thing most people don't realize is that you need to use polish and wax is nothing more than a protectant. It may look shinier, but the polish is needed before waxing. Polish contains oils for luster and deep shine.

They buyout though would be hard to say no to at the end. The Automotive Lease Guide seems to think that in January 2013, 6 yr old (2007) M5 with only 80k miles will only be worth $20k with an original selling price of $97. I don't buy it. Would have pegged it closer to $25, especially with full service records and in immaculate condition.

Recently the electric has been deregulated in my area :( so I have been building led circuits to replace conventional lighting. If anybody is interested check out www.c-leds.com.

We started building the led systems last year for haunt use and have had a lot of comments on our lighting.

I'm going to convert my house over to 12VDC for lighting using a simple homebuild wind generator, a single solar cell and a bank of small batteries and relays. I hope to have the house off the grid, lighting-wise in less than 6 months.

While I will probably be crucified for this, I use the Turtle wax color match wax, Black Magic interior protectant and tire shine, meguires car wash, and mothers for the plastic outside, and on the 'rims'

Please keep the info and ideas coming. I want my Xterra to start looking good again here real soon.

J

Read this.

Paint detailing tips - SSA Car Audio Forum

And in that era it is exactly why BMW > Merc. Until the V8's the Bm'ers were by far the most logical car I have ever worked on.

oh this is plenty logical, I just don't feel like fucking doing it :lol:

think it's just from being old and just burst a little leak from spirited driving?

probably, but I'm more than willing to pay 75 bucks for the stealership to find and fix the leak, especially considering how MB packaged these lines

warranty ftw :woot:

warranty?

yeah CarMax threw in a 3 year warranty when we bought it

Wow, the hop is slow. I have 5 windows open in it right now just so I can fucking respond.

doesnt ever really seem to slow to me, i know a major part on my side is slow dorm internet

While I will probably be crucified for this, I use the Turtle wax color match wax, Black Magic interior protectant and tire shine, meguires car wash, and mothers for the plastic outside, and on the 'rims'

Please keep the info and ideas coming. I want my Xterra to start looking good again here real soon.

J

Read this.

doesn't say anything about sticky bug guts though

Recently the electric has been deregulated in my area :( so I have been building led circuits to replace conventional lighting. If anybody is interested check out www.c-leds.com.

We started building the led systems last year for haunt use and have had a lot of comments on our lighting.

I'm going to convert my house over to 12VDC for lighting using a simple homebuild wind generator, a single solar cell and a bank of small batteries and relays. I hope to have the house off the grid, lighting-wise in less than 6 months.

:woot: im working on becoming a wind turbine maintenance man.

So I'm on a running team for the day after I graduate college. My running buddy is a big guy (like me). well actually he's a lot bigger but we are in the BEAST division (because our combined weight is over 400lbs lol) and we need an awesome team name

we are throwing around the idea of wearing our cap and gown for the event since we graduate the day before

Edit: More Info - It is the muddy buddy run in Austin. You run a leg, bike a leg, etc.. (you and your teammate switch at the end of each leg and yes the biker gets ahead then the other guy catches up when he gets on the bike)

J

Read this.

doesn't say anything about sticky bug guts though

You obviously glanced over the posts and didn't read thoroughly.

Good reminder Ryan.............I need to get a good weekend so I can COMPLETLY clean mine. Not just use a drive through.

The weather has been freaky and for AZ chilly.

J

State of the Union drinking game this evening. Key words are "jobs" and "change"

Sweet. That would actually make me listen.

we had to get the sober person to call out the words as we couldn't even pay attention towards the end

J

I love sexy black tires. I think I have used black magic a few times myself.

I'd recommend not using any kind of tire shine. It causes weather cracking faster.

really? Amazing I thought it protected it like armorall. Wild.

I had always heard that the good tire conditioning products actually helped the rubber last... no?

As long as they aren't full of petroleum distillates I'd agree.

I never even thought they would put something like that in there. I'm going to read the bottle next time.

I won't use Mothers or Turtle Wax anything on my paint.

reasons?

A couple although they are more than 15 years old. :P Turtle wax had an issue that destroyed some paint jobs and when I frequented them everyone at carshows used Meguiars that seemed to know anything. Then 3M came out and I can usually get someone to take me to the company store for wholesale goodness. :) Mothers wax frustrated me as well. Just didn't go on or come off as easily as I felt it should. Not an issue of effort either. In a just bought an old car detail though I do get tired, hard to go at it for 10 hours. Same reason I only wash my windows with Sparkle. Seems to streak WAY less than anything else and doesn't fuck anything up. Had issues with everything else pretty much, but again a long time ago.

I've never tried sparkle. I usually was my windows once with something cheep(asuming they are actually dirty and not just a touch up), then I use invisible glass. I love invisible glass so much for getting crystal clear windows...

:wub:

Make a thread when you do please!

My next project after my kitchen is to install LED lighting all through the house. I would love it to be motion triggered so at night we could have some floor lighting.

Off the grid lighting would be amazing.

Make a thread when you do please!

My next project after my kitchen is to install LED lighting all through the house. I would love it to be motion triggered so at night we could have some floor lighting. Under cabinet/under the island would be great too.

Off the grid lighting would be amazing.

Are you going to use leds or 12v bulbs? I have checked out some home made wind generators still thinking.

Let me know how you make out.

And in that era it is exactly why BMW > Merc. Until the V8's the Bm'ers were by far the most logical car I have ever worked on.

oh this is plenty logical, I just don't feel like fucking doing it :lol:

Not in comparison ;)

Wow, the hop is slow. I have 5 windows open in it right now just so I can fucking respond.

doesnt ever really seem to slow to me, i know a major part on my side is slow dorm internet

Every other thread opens about as fast as I can click, the hop takes 20sec to post