mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

I'm not sure what temp melts glass but I find chunks of it in the smoker any time I do a full burn of the coal and clean the BGE>

The temperature gauge on the outside of mine experienced spontaneously exploding glass. The stoker fan HELPS.

I've never had the ability to sear a steak at temps like that. How does one go about cooking a proper steak with sear temps that high? Sear one side, the other, than crank the heat down for a bit and cook for a min or two, or pull straight off the grill depending on how one likes them?

Depends on your goals. Sear, rest, cook, rest, eat. Still doesn't take that long :)

Yea... My gas grill will only do ~600-650*

Mine will hit nearly 800, but it sucks compared to the egg. If you research gas grills for weeks you'll decide what I have is the cats meow, but the BGE/Kamado style grills REALLY, REALLY, REALLY put it to shame.

She's a beast:

http://www.lynxgrills.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=20

I've never had the ability to sear a steak at temps like that. How does one go about cooking a proper steak with sear temps that high?

grill one side, flip, remove :P

If it doesn't bleed, it was cooked to long. :)

Except it isn't blood ;)

Not just for beef btw. Pork over 137 is ruined.

Looks like it might be a good investment.........I would have to make a stand for it.........Something durable.

J

I think Sean said he built his for under 20 bucks.

They have designs all over the place. BGE owners are crazy, you'll find all kinds of designs, and plans out there.

Yep, under 15 IIRC. Not including the nails from my gun from my finish nailer, nor the glue but only used nominal amounts. For the BGE you'd have to add a hunk of slate, although I'd buy two-three and a placesetter so I could do the best pizza ever.

Yea... My gas grill will only do ~600-650*

personally, I find that 600-700 is more than adequate for grilling 95% of foods out there

that being said there is very little out there that beats a thick cut of premium marbled beef grilled at 1,000F+...especially with a bit of truffle butter thrown on top at the end :droolcup: :droolcup: :droolcup:

You miss the point. Nothing needs to be cooked that hot, but getting the finish on as fast as possible and then cooking as slow as possible is ALWAYS the goal. Finish at the beginning or end doesn't matter, but without two of them the only real method is sear first, rest, then cook, rest, eat. Resting makes a HUGE difference. If you don't, start ASAP.

I have heard some resteraunts of using a 1800F method for searing.

I've never used trufflebutter, but I usually put a pat of the regular stuff on anything I do in the kitchen, and sometimes the grill.

I did a wagyu NY strip and it tasted like it was soaked in butter without anything.

Truffle butter is a waste of truffles IMO. When you have Wagyu, butter on beef is a waste of beef. Good meat >>>>> ALL.

Can't you just leave meat outside J and it will slow cook on in the sun?

Sadly no..........Its cooled off a bit lately. Plus dust/sand/animals=no good

The large is about 750 bucks new.

Eh 750 is about what I was gonna pay for a gas grill that can use propaine and nat gas.........Alot more 'blingy' but this seems like a 10x better investment.

J

I can't imagine my last few posts have weakened that statement. :fing34:

I have heard some resteraunts of using a 1800F method for searing.

Any top of the line steakhouse worth their salt will have a few of these (or comparable) in the kitchen:

http://www.southbendnc.com/170.shtml

Short of using a blowtorch, dangerously well stoked ceramic cooker, or throwing the steaks directly on a pile of charcoal you're not going to get a much hotter surface

Or just any ceramic burner like my lynx has. Easy to "make" your own. I may add a second outside of the grill when I build in my wok burner. :)

For the most part my supermarket quality proteins taste just as good as anything on my Coleman RoadTrip Grill :lol: and certainly just as good as any restaurant in a 45 mile radius :)

I feel sorry for you. Both on the protein selection & restaurant selection.

I have thrown thin flank or skirt right on coals before. I saw Alton "crazy" Brown do it, so I gave it a shot. It worked. Ruined one peice though as it turned into coal itself because I wasn't fast enough.

Come to the BWCA with me and I'll show you some weird camp fire cooking :)

There's probably nothing more versatile than a ceramic cooker either, (save for cast iron cookware), so think of it as an investment :lol2:

Copper >> cast

Amusingly I paid <$50 for this: http://www.amazon.com/Mauviel-Kasserolle-Mh%C3%A9ritage-Cuprinox-Saucepan/dp/B000RPUJLS/ref=sr_1_124?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1286595659&sr=1-124 its about time Amazon started carrying real pans :) Actually have no idea what I paid, but I do know that for 5 sauce pans, lids, and 3 frying pans it was less than that one pan :)

Except it isn't blood ;)

Can you say Trichinosis?

I've never had the ability to sear a steak at temps like that. How does one go about cooking a proper steak with sear temps that high?

grill one side, flip, remove :P

If it doesn't bleed, it was cooked to long. :)

Except it isn't blood ;)

Can you say Trichinosis?

1) There isn't any in our country really

2) It DIES at 137

pwned

Amusingly I paid <$50 for this: http://www.amazon.com/Mauviel-Kasserolle-Mh%C3%A9ritage-Cuprinox-Saucepan/dp/B000RPUJLS/ref=sr_1_124?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1286595659&sr=1-124 its about time Amazon started carrying real pans :) Actually have no idea what I paid, but I do know that for 5 sauce pans, lids, and 3 frying pans it was less than that one pan :)

dude..... :suicide-santa: ..too much for a pan does it make the meat that good?

When Aidan was 9mo, he ate 137deg pork. I won't do anything to hurt him, might give you an idea how much better pork is when cooked right ;)

Make sure you buy your pork from where it gets NO table food, otherwise you need to keep it at 137 for 8-10 minutes. All meat needs rest though so that isn't much of an issue, but if you use high heat to cook it you'll have to take it off the grill before it even gets to 137. Low and slow is your friend.

It makes EVERYTHING better. WAY FUCKING BETTER btw.

Can I do it in lesser gear? Yes, but it takes way more skill and is harder to learn. Those pans and kosher salt made the biggest difference in my cooking.

$500 is cheap for a "set" of pans. Really, really cheap.

Spend your dough on knives, pans, and a BGE and you are set.

Cast is good for low and slow and for when you need heat and don't have a stove that can maintain. Otherwise copper is your friend.

It makes EVERYTHING better. WAY pucking BETTER btw.

well paying what you paid for it would be worth the money but not 550...I bought a smoker from the neighbor and that thing makes meat much JUICIER...I'm not no chef..but the best meat I have tased was from the smoker but I have not had any other types of meats.

$500 is cheap for a "set" of pans. Really, really cheap.

Spend your dough on knives, pans, and a BGE and you are set.

I just have some cheap ass pans and smoker...not high quality but its gets the food done and good.

Just fukin' with ya, IF my ass hole gets itcy......I will let you know.lol. I have been loving the pork loins!!

It makes EVERYTHING better. WAY pucking BETTER btw.

well paying what you paid for it would be worth the money but not 550...I bought a smoker from the neighbor and that thing makes meat much JUICIER...I'm not no chef..but the best meat I have tased was from the smoker but I have not had any other types of meats.

I flew to Paris to buy mine. ;) Cheaper and a "free" trip to Paris, which btw is by far my favorite city.