mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Anyone bank with Wells Fargo

Hell no....FUCK NO...

Closing out a dead IRA with them right now.

The A8 is an $80K vehicle though...

Yes, but the way one of them was mangled (in terms of the aluminum), the rebuild job looked like it was on the TOTALED scale when only the front corner was really damaged.

If I trusted Audi, reliability wise better, an A4 or A3 set of keys would be in my hand right now. An A3 would be about perfect for me right now, with more power and AWD, that covers the two things lacking in my current scooter.

I trust Audi WAY more than Mercedes.

The new Hyundai Accent is wicked, IMO

Were you smoking crack when you wrote that?

You guys are SLACKERS

:P

Sister and niece drove in from Lubbock so its a bit hectic around here

They are quite excellent econoboxes

Were you smoking crack when you wrote that?

No, why? The new Hyundai vehicles are leaps and bounds better than the old, better than anything Europe has to offer too, the Fiat 500 is a joke.

They are quite excellent econoboxes

Indeed, I love my Elantra.

Yes, but the way one of them was mangled (in terms of the aluminum), the rebuild job looked like it was on the TOTALED scale when only the front corner was really damaged.

If I trusted Audi, reliability wise better, an A4 or A3 set of keys would be in my hand right now. An A3 would be about perfect for me right now, with more power and AWD, that covers the two things lacking in my current scooter.

Hasn't Mercedez made significant improvements in recent years? I know a lot of their cars are frequently at the bottom of reliability surveys.

Hasn't Mercedez made significant improvements in recent years? I know a lot of their cars are frequently at the bottom of reliability surveys.

Not like they were in the 60's...

Fuck I don't wanna go to work.

Friday needs to hurry up.

J

As far as appearance is concerned, MB > Audi for most of their range IMO.

I am old world Mercedes that were tanks. :P

Not like they were in the 60's...

Through '96. ;)

Ah, nothing like a cold beer at 9:30 in the mornin. :D

damn, you're 2 hours behind, I always kill 2 before my first class at 8am every morning.

I have driven the Mercedes Benz S550 extensively over the past few months. Quality from mb has significantly increased over the past few years. The only complaint I have on the car is the damn click wheel interface.

What kind and what finish? Most oem wheels have a clear coat that is 90% of the problem.

The next question is what do you desire as an end result? Most wheels have nice enough aluminum to be polished to a near chrome finish if you want to invest the time.

What kinds are there in the first place?

The rims are covered good in corrosion. I don't know about clear coat, but it's probably gone since they are in this condition.

The end result...I want to remove all corrosion and then bring back the color of the aluminum.

Not a big fan of chrome wheels. And the vehicle occasionally goes off-road, so you can imagine the conditions there. No chrome.

Any advice on renewing aluminium rims?

Have someone else do them.

If you pay, ok. :)

the basic process is strip the old clear coat (i wouldn't be surprised if the corrosion you're seeing is the old clear coat, it can get pretty awful.

steps #2-30 - sand. Start with the roughest grit necessary and step up to smoother and smoother until you achieve the finish you want. I wouldn't recommend anything but your hand for sanding, but once you get up to about 1000 grit or higher you can start polishing. You'll need an abrasive compound (there's tons) turtle wax rubbing compound will usually suffice if you've done a good enough job sanding.

this is not going to be a quick and easy job, as Ryan said, it's probably going to inspire you to fork over the cash to get someone else to do it. it will be easier if the wheels are mostly flat.

Also some wheels use rather porous aluminum (dodge daytona '90) and you soon realize that you're unable to get a nice finish because of the pits and it's better to leave them hazy and dull.