mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

I just used the quickrete quick mix, just add water.

Drop one 60lb bag in wheelbarrow, slash a cross, flip bag over, pull up from sides and the bag will split in two emptying out. I did two bags to a wheelbarrow (otherwise I'd probably spill the shit moving it across the front yard to back yard).

Then had a spray gun type handle on the end of the water hose. Spray, lightly mix concrete around with hoe, push all concrete forward in wheelbarrow, spray more water into bottom (like a little lake), then start pulling down concrete mixing with hoe until the large puddle starts to thicken.

Then keep pulling down more concrete and adding water. Spray the wheelbarrow between each run, it'll help keep the concrete from sticking on the bottom.

The key is just to mix the shit a lot, get rid of any dry spots where it's still powder, and have a hose right next to where your mixing.

I'm certainly no pro but it worked for what I was doing. Just a small slab to go under a work table in the backyard.

Ah, I am pouring a sink/countertop and mixing the sand, rock and portland cement AND color which means I have to mix the living shit out of it. I don't own a wheel barrow either and have to have a big enough container to do it in one pour. Was hoping you had something clever that would relay to that :) Thanks though.

I would advise you to get a concrete mixer in that case. I despise mixing concrete and would rather buy it ready for pouring or hire a mixer. Life is so much easier with a mixer.

I was going to use the Vitamix. :P

Actually I had thought a mixer was a good plan. Was hoping to not pay to rent it though.

*out of curiosity since I will mix too much, what do you do with the leftover when you do that?

Drop one 60lb bag in wheelbarrow, slash a cross, flip bag over, pull up from sides and the bag will split in two emptying out. I did two bags to a wheelbarrow (otherwise I'd probably spill the shit moving it across the front yard to back yard).

Then had a spray gun type handle on the end of the water hose. Spray, lightly mix concrete around with hoe, push all concrete forward in wheelbarrow, spray more water into bottom (like a little lake), then start pulling down concrete mixing with hoe until the large puddle starts to thicken.

Then keep pulling down more concrete and adding water. Spray the wheelbarrow between each run, it'll help keep the concrete from sticking on the bottom.

The key is just to mix the shit a lot, get rid of any dry spots where it's still powder, and have a hose right next to where your mixing.

I'm certainly no pro but it worked for what I was doing. Just a small slab to go under a work table in the backyard.

Ah, I am pouring a sink/countertop and mixing the sand, rock and portland cement AND color which means I have to mix the living shit out of it. I don't own a wheel barrow either and have to have a big enough container to do it in one pour. Was hoping you had something clever that would relay to that :) Thanks though.

My uncle did exactly that. Counter tops and sinks in bathrooms. Also built his entire house, super modern.

Ill ask him today and see what he says. :)

Awesome, thanks!

Portable mixer is your best bet; pour in the ingredients, turn it on and let it eat. Kinda like making a smoothie in a VitaMix :D Getting rid of the air is a bit of a pill also, best way I've seen besides a shaker table is to take a a bladeless Sawzall against the outside of the form until the bubbles stop forming.

Bladels sawzall?

yeah, just take the blade out; bladeless :P

*out of curiosity since I will mix too much, what do you do with the leftover when you do that?

Make a bird bath or some garden gnomes or somesuch

pneumatic chisel with a hammer chisel bit might work if you turn regulator way down, but I doubt it

Good turn out tonight! I was able to get a couple shots and plan on uploading them tomorrow.

Sweet, I'll look out for'em.

Funny question, do you guys ever use chainsaws?

I remember going through a haunt once and one of the guys ran through the public crowd with a chainsaw. I swore it was real but seems like that would be such a liability, like if he tripped, "Oh shit, sorry I just cut off your fucking head bro."

Yes we have a chainsaw, but there is no chain on it. The actor who carries it is 6'8" and scares the shit out of everybody.

I should have read further down. I could be that acto :)

You are always welcome to join in the fun. :)

Make a bird bath or some garden gnomes or somesuch

Speed bumps in your neighbors drive way. ;)

shaker table would be a fun tool to have, though...

Drop excess off at the neighbors you don't like. :P

Fuckin bolt on the tensioner assembly got rusted into the pully and ended up breaking..............time to buy a replacement assembly.

J

I would advise you to get a concrete mixer in that case. I despise mixing concrete and would rather buy it ready for pouring or hire a mixer. Life is so much easier with a mixer.

Actually I had thought a mixer was a good plan. Was hoping to not pay to rent it though.

I usually find a place for extra concrete around the yard. You won't mix way too much if mixers are the size of the ones here.

I usually find a place for extra concrete around the yard. You won't mix way too much if mixers are the size of the ones here.

Got a bunch of blocks and puddles of concrete scattered around the yard? :lol:

LET FREEDOM RING WITH A SHOTGUN BLAST

Sean, you ever listen to Mingus?

I laughed so hard I nearly crapped my pants

I helped a guy do a concrete hearth place the other day. How big of pour are you doing? For polishing you are going to want something stronger than ~8,000psi so you don't pull the cement paste out when polishing. I doubt anything off of the redi-mix truck will do that in any reasonable about of time. For the higher strength I'd suggest looking at a lower water-cement ratio and adding plasticizers to keep it workable. Oh and vibrate it well too, along with smacking the sides of the form work with a rubber mallet.

That answer is a yes.

That answer is a yes.

Hey Topgun.. you know anything about building walls? lol

I've built walls before.

Block, mud & sticks? :lol:

We went for 80's in the days down to the 60s 2 days ago. Not fun.

J

Im loving this weather. :P

Still low 80s here and I love it. Went and played 18 holes. It was more or less an excuse to drink :P

I've built walls before.

You're about 2 hours of me and i'm in need of some experience with building.

I helped a guy do a concrete hearth place the other day. How big of pour are you doing? For polishing you are going to want something stronger than ~8,000psi so you don't pull the cement paste out when polishing. I doubt anything off of the redi-mix truck will do that in any reasonable about of time. For the higher strength I'd suggest looking at a lower water-cement ratio and adding plasticizers to keep it workable. Oh and vibrate it well too, along with smacking the sides of the form work with a rubber mallet.

Kwik-crete sells a 10-12K psi mix around here and acrylic is readily available as well. I'd just mix it straight with the acrylic and skip the water.