mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

The LED light was awesome today as a work light outside :D

Tied it to a pole and hooray, we have light to keep working.

I have a large halogen spotlight I'd like to change out to LED. The battery only lasts 20 minutes when new and I'm sick of buying new batteries. Damn thing takes forever to charge as well.

I've seen somebody who used a 30w LED instead of a 150W halogen work light with very good results

So yesterday was a rather eye opening day. I was pulled into a meeting and told the company was downsizing and my department was losing 3 people today. I have worked for this family owned company for almost 18 years, I sat there thinking back to all the company meetings we had and all the projects I did for the owners and then it hit me nobody is safe no matter what they told us in the past. No matter how secure you think your job is at the end of the day you are just a number that may need to go to keep business going.

My department was reduced to 3 supervisors and 1 manager, guess we will see how things get restructured in the coming weeks. At one point I was the only supervisor in the maintenance department.

At least you don't have to deal with the huge corporate BS. When two of our guys got axed, I inherited their stores even though none of us are supposed to have more than 4 stores. I have 8 stores and one vacant building. Now I get twice the people bitching that I don't get stuff done and have to justify my work every day, and am held responsible for stuff I have no control over such as whether or not the store associates recycle cardboard or throw it away, or if the housekeeping crew actually does their job. The store managers are supposed to police all this stuff, but they never do so it gets thrown at us.

Well I think this is the start of coporate BS. As we grow larger expanding into other countries we are getting more spreadsheet bean counters who are guiding the owners into making these decisions. I know at the end of the day it is business, but very sad to see good people let go when it has nothing to do with performance.

It DOES have to do with performance, or lack-there-of. I'm sure you see them waste money in many other facets and this is one of many reasons they lose money.

Sorry I ment their work performance. Yes people waste more money on silly projects that have to impact to the end goal of making more diapers.

I knew what you meant, I deal with the same issues every day and I just had this same conversation this morning with 3 different corporate assholes.

329883184_7cefc99281.jpg

I'm not sure if this was directed towards me or not. I was just saying I read about that Juke and thought it was an interesting idea for Nissan to try to make a supercar using that platform. It's pretty ugly, but a somewhat ballsy venture IMO.

pointed towards whatever the hell Skar thread people are talking about, actually :lol:

Gun people, check this out. A break open, side feed, 2 shot semi automatic shotgun from beretta. So cool.

Alright, I need suggestions or fields I should look into for college.

When I was younger I did a lot of stuff with computers, but now I'm getting sorta sick of them. I wouldn't mind using them for any field, but would rather not be on a computer 24/7.

^computer stuff being: OS installation, dual booting linux (a whole slew of different distros and gui interfaces, gnome, kde, etc), apache, mysql, php, css, html, did a little bit of visual basic in my early early days :P

web insecurities: improper coding and exploitation, IE bugs and vulnerabilities.

I'm no superstar when it comes to math, so I'm kinda sitting on the fence for engineering. Thinking electrical or mechanical.

Anything electrical / scientific always interested me. Physics would probably be cool, haven't taken a class yet though.

I'd rather be doing something interesting and somewhat enjoy the work then making absolute bank and hating my job.

I know I'm being pretty vague here, just looking for shit in the general direction of science / computer / engineering and people's thoughts. :)

Engineering/physics assume Calc 1-3, Diff. Eq, and Matrix Theory.

Currently I'm in Calc 1 with an average C. Which is making me think perhaps I should do something that involves less math.

329883184_7cefc99281.jpg

I'm not sure if this was directed towards me or not. I was just saying I read about that Juke and thought it was an interesting idea for Nissan to try to make a supercar using that platform. It's pretty ugly, but a somewhat ballsy venture IMO.

pointed towards whatever the hell Skar thread people are talking about, actually :lol:

I was wondering what could have confused you, lol.

Gun people, check this out. A break open, side feed, 2 shot semi automatic shotgun from beretta. So cool.

Pretty nifty, but what's the advantage of that over any other feed mechanism?

Currently I'm in Calc 1 with an average C. Which is making me think perhaps I should do something that involves less math.

Personally, I don't think that's too bad depending on the circumstances. This is your first year of college isn't it? I hate math but got an easy A in Calc I. This semester I'm taking a 100 level finite mathematics course and am putting 10x the work and still struggling. The professor is really shitty, but I don't think you should let your first college math course be the deciding factor.

Maybe I'm wrong. Figured I'd throw it out there anyway :P

Here at Michigan Tech our EE's have some classes with the CPE's (computer programming engineers), so if you do enjoy computers you should get some of that in the EE field. For example, i've had to take a class on how to code in Java and a class on Digital Logic involving CMOS circuits, combination logic, and Verilog coding.

At my university, as an EE, i have to take calc1, calc 2, differential equations, linear algebra, and then another math course of my choice. (could be calc 3, stats, hell could be elementary Algebra if i wanted it to be).

EE's and Mech's are pretty different in my experience. I suppose a horribly vague and oversimplified question would be: What are you more interested in? How a combustion engine works? Or how do you build circuits?

Personally, I don't think that's too bad depending on the circumstances. This is your first year of college isn't it? I hate math but got an easy A in Calc I. This semester I'm taking a 100 level finite mathematics course and am putting 10x the work and still struggling. The professor is really shitty, but I don't think you should let your first college math course be the deciding factor.Maybe I'm wrong. Figured I'd throw it out there anyway :P

I'm not going to just give up, but I don't want to drag myself into a pile of shit for the next few years either. Either way I'm still taking Calc II next semester and going up from there. The teacher I have now sucks as well, everyday I go online and find other lecture notes that just make sense.

Here at Michigan Tech our EE's have some classes with the CPE's (computer programming engineers), so if you do enjoy computers you should get some of that in the EE field. For example, i've had to take a class on how to code in Java and a class on Digital Logic involving CMOS circuits, combination logic, and Verilog coding. At my university, as an EE, i have to take calc1, calc 2, differential equations, linear algebra, and then another math course of my choice. (could be calc 3, stats, hell could be elementary Algebra if i wanted it to be). EE's and Mech's are pretty different in my experience. I suppose a horribly vague and oversimplified question would be: What are you more interested in? How a combustion engine works? Or how do you build circuits?

Circuits. :P

fall back on science-y shit. :peepwall:

I still have a year or so until I really need to figure out what I'm going for.

:jon:

weird why is this named after me?

That was there before you good sir.

it was a joke, i used it and seen my name.. im not that big headed :D

I have awarded a few people in the past a smilie with their name as the code.

Circuit theory blows.

it can get pretty damn frustrating at times. but i like it so far =] i am only an undergrad after all so the designs I'm encountering and implementing are fairly simple.

Looking for some rims.. 20"s

I like this style, do you guys have any inputs?

ave_a601_black_2.jpg

I don't like them.

i think theyre ok but they would probably look real good staggered with fatter back wheels

On what? Every car I picture them on looks like shit in my mind.

Stefan are you looking for a career or a stepping stone to manage people?

Any interests you would tie into more long term?

Personally, I don't think that's too bad depending on the circumstances. This is your first year of college isn't it? I hate math but got an easy A in Calc I. This semester I'm taking a 100 level finite mathematics course and am putting 10x the work and still struggling. The professor is really shitty, but I don't think you should let your first college math course be the deciding factor.Maybe I'm wrong. Figured I'd throw it out there anyway :P

I'm not going to just give up, but I don't want to drag myself into a pile of shit for the next few years either. Either way I'm still taking Calc II next semester and going up from there. The teacher I have now sucks as well, everyday I go online and find other lecture notes that just make sense.

Here at Michigan Tech our EE's have some classes with the CPE's (computer programming engineers), so if you do enjoy computers you should get some of that in the EE field. For example, i've had to take a class on how to code in Java and a class on Digital Logic involving CMOS circuits, combination logic, and Verilog coding. At my university, as an EE, i have to take calc1, calc 2, differential equations, linear algebra, and then another math course of my choice. (could be calc 3, stats, hell could be elementary Algebra if i wanted it to be). EE's and Mech's are pretty different in my experience. I suppose a horribly vague and oversimplified question would be: What are you more interested in? How a combustion engine works? Or how do you build circuits?

Circuits. :P

Good luck deciding :) I'm still not 100% what I want to do either.

Stefan are you looking for a career or a stepping stone to manage people?

Any interests you would tie into more long term?

Career, don't want to manage people.

Most of the stuff that interests me now, that I do or am involved with, I don't see doing for a final career.

I like working with my hands, but not in the way of doing hard manual labor. Like fabrication would be cool, but depending on what level, it probably wouldn't make a whole lot $$$. I know this is sorta way out there then what I've posted earlier, but pressure welding?

I've always liked graphic design / illustration but I've never been a creative enough person, always ended up writing code for the back end instead.

When I was younger I was 100% certain I was going into programming/web design/of the sort, but now I somewhat dread that, guess it just depends on how much I'd be stuck behind a computer.

Hate to tell you this, but if you don't want to manage people you are going to be stuck on a computer. Guess what engineers do these days?

Neat, but I'm still waiting for someone crazy enough to build a magazine feed semiauto coach gun