mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Steve I have the sharp aquos led-lcd 60" and am happy for the price. I have Sony 35-40" in my room that I love also. The biggest reason for me to get the lcd over plasma was better side viewing, but that may not be important to you.

that is a huge selling point for me. Maybe more so than the cost. I have a bigger size living room that seems to catch a glare no matter what. I can't keep my house pitch black all hours of the day.

I think that plasma and LCD are about on ar for angle and brightness in todays TVs. What I think you will see is you can sacrifice a little detail and contrast from a plasma and still save a good chunk.

If yoj don't have the option to view them in person and try viewing from the side first then maybe generically I would say you get a wider viewing angle on an LCD and thus go that direction, but to me LCD and plasma are becoming closer in usability. Plasma just costs a little extra and you can get really amazing contrast(especially in blacks) from them.

Interview Wednesday morning, wish me luck.

It would up my bike commute time from 7-10 minutes to 20-25. If I can get 75% on top of the current pay I would sooo ditch doing a lot side things for extra cash => more free time.

That much of a raise and you can drive to work!

Steve I have the sharp aquos led-lcd 60" and am happy for the price. I have Sony 35-40" in my room that I love also. The biggest reason for me to get the lcd over plasma was better side viewing, but that may not be important to you.

that is a huge selling point for me. Maybe more so than the cost. I have a bigger size living room that seems to catch a glare no matter what. I can't keep my house pitch black all hours of the day.

I think that plasma and LCD are about on ar for angle and brightness in todays TVs. What I think you will see is you can sacrifice a little detail and contrast from a plasma and still save a good chunk.

If yoj don't have the option to view them in person and try viewing from the side first then maybe generically I would say you get a wider viewing angle on an LCD and thus go that direction, but to me LCD and plasma are becoming closer in usability. Plasma just costs a little extra and you can get really amazing contrast(especially in blacks) from them.

I will be buying in person, probably at Costco. The atmosphere at the store will not replicate what I see in my living room. I appreciate all the advice. I think I'm going with the 60" Sharp. They have the Smart tv in stock for right at budget. I'm not sure if ill use all the features but its a nice option should I decide too.

It would up my bike commute time from 7-10 minutes to 20-25. If I can get 75% on top of the current pay I would sooo ditch doing a lot side things for extra cash => more free time.

Id much rather ride a bike than drive. Unless I was in a hurry, or had an f1 car.

Good Luck! :)

Costco is still a better than online. Before you throw down the cash, stand at a fee angles just to make sure there isn't something you HATE.

I love my sharp TVs. For the dollar they are amazing. Better than the price point suggests, but not uber spendy.

Plasmas are the only TVs that have ever wow'ed me. I helped TMax21 (hasn't been on the H0P in forever) pick out his TV and the plasma won on looks and price. I went to my cousins a couple years later and I told him that I really liked his TV and it was the best I had seen since TMax's plasma and he then told me his was a plasma also.

ON the other hand my roommate now how a super thin LED and Idon't like it at all. Everything looks like a hispanic soap opera.

Plasma TVs usually do look better. But that is also circumstances.

I do t know of a good plasma at 60"s that is close to the price of a similar quality LCD though. And LCDs typically get brighter. Which can help if you have a wall of windows.

Plasmas are the only TVs that have ever wow'ed me. I helped TMax21 (hasn't been on the H0P in forever) pick out his TV and the plasma won on looks and price. I went to my cousins a couple years later and I told him that I really liked his TV and it was the best I had seen since TMax's plasma and he then told me his was a plasma also.

ON the other hand my roommate now how a super thin LED and Idon't like it at all. Everything looks like a hispanic soap opera.

Completely agree. Plasma definitely has a much better picture and this year is suppose to be the largest difference in picture quality from a plasma vs. an LCD yet.

I'm not sure why price is believed to be lower for an LCD vs. a plasma especially when the sizes get larger. Plasma is a technology used for larger TVs and price has been one of the largest reasons why people look to buy them when getting into the 50"+ range.

I agree so heavily on the soap opera look in LED and LCD TVs. I can't watch anything on an LCD or LED TV that has not been properly adjusted because of the horrible picture.

I do still see a bigger issue in plasmas when it comes to very bright rooms although it is getting better. I do agree though that viewing angle is not to be considered unless the majority of things are being watch from 120+ degree angle in which case I would advise you to turn the TV or adjust the layout of your room before buying a TV to watch at an outrageous angle.

Edit: miss hit and put 60 instead of 50.

Edited by Miller

Well its not the crazy angle I'm watching it at.. its the glare from having lights on in the room. Maybe my current tv just sucks ass but I can't just turn all lights off and draw the blinds when I want to watch the news at dinner. The Windows in my living room face due south and there is light in the room all day.

Well its not the crazy angle I'm watching it at.. its the glare from having lights on in the room. Maybe my current tv just sucks ass but I can't just turn all lights off and draw the blinds when I want to watch the news at dinner. The Windows in my living room face due south and there is light in the room all day.

Sorta sounds more like placement of the tv and various lights in the room is the bigger issue than the tv itself. :shrug:

Ok, not to be a dick or say CNET is gods gift but in the general review

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs-56-inches-and-above

All of the top TVs are LCD w/ LED tech. LED or cold cathode its just how they light the screen. So saying LCD and plasma picture isn't even, or rather isn't close, is a foul ball at best.

But there are generalizations we can make. Like generally plasma has had issues with brightness and viewing angle. LCD has had lissues with blur and picture quality. As for out of the box calibration, none of what you see on a sales floor will be either. And who cares. Eben if you pay someone a hundo to calibrate and write down the settings it is less than 10% of a > 1000$ tv. Small potatoes.

The cost of plasma getting refined is larger because it is spread over a much much smaller market. Only TVs. My phone, washing machine, and fan controller for PC all have LCD functions.

I think both can be awesome. 2-3 years ago I got two 55" TVs (maybe 52".......)for my house. And a brd player. I paid less than 2500 for all of it. Oh and 1 mount too.

Nothing in plasma came close, at that time, in price. I also sit more that 12' away most of the time, so details < brightness and price and size. My wife wouldnt let me get bigger or I would have for the living room.

The older DLP are really rough with that. Heck all older TV'S are. Whatever you get will be a marked improvement.

She actuall asked if we could get bigger TV for the living room. And she wants a sub. I hope a sub will help the MLs. Maybe the bass was what made the amp clip.

The only TV in the top 5 best picture quality (2nd overall) that is an LCD is the Sharp which is over double the price of the panasonic plasma (1st overall). Picture quality of a plasma is definitely in a league of its own when comparing the two technologies.

I completely agree with you on the calibrating issue. Out of the box settings are a joke and should never be used. Paying someone or even buying a blue-ray to calibrate it yourself is a small expense to get a great picture compared to the $1500+ that you are spending on the TV.

I agree that LCD TVs are getting cheaper, but plasma still hold a savings to them with similar features and picture quality.

Both technologies definitely have their own reasons for being purchased, so I would never tell someone to always buy a plasma nor would I tell everyone to always buy an LCD. The environment they are going in would be the first ingredient in the mix of choosing.

I did not post here to tell him to buy a plasma as in this case to me it sounds like an LCD would be better. The reason I stated anything was because some of the facts you were saying I just do not agree with.

I must have read it wrong, I thought I read the top 2 were LCD w/LED from Sharp.... I am checking it on my phone so that happens!

:-D

LED is stupid priced that is for reals. I think we just see the facts differently. I have not found plasma tv's for the cost of LCD at same price. You have it sounds like. That is all.

I will say the best TV I ever saw was plasma. A Pioneer, kuro was the model name I think.

Wow. It was awesome.

I updated the pic from a few pages back, but since you guys don't read backwards here is the tunnel polish

Tunnel_zps2d2313f7.jpg

Was stressing over the EGT gauge mount, but you'll see I got smart. Sled came with an extra set of hand protectors so I took the aluminum mount and grabbed a few things from the hardware store and now the EGT follows the bars when I raise and lower them. Nearly 4" of travel which is enough to adjust from sitting to standing. Requires a 1/2" wrench, but I'll keep one in my map bag on the tank.

Short distance, busy city and lots of buses, probably not worth going by car. I'll see what I can pull Wednesday :)

Very understandable. I had to look at it a few times to make sure I wasn't missing something.

I guess I figured you were talking about LED TVs when you were comparing price. LCD does seem to be cheaper, but that also seems to be going away in large sizes due to LED technology. Just like getting the best picture only comes on the TVs with the unnecessary features that no one really needs and for me would rather not have or have to pay for.

The Kuro Elite was a TV that was truly spectacular and still never matched.

I have a samsung 50" plasma and it sits directly in the line of sight with my window and sunlight and glare are non issues. Matt where are you seeing plasmas more expensive? They are the cheaper technology and cheaper in the stores. I have yet to see one priced more and they now have "cold" plasmas so you don't have all the heat. Hell even when I worked at Sears, feature for feature, plasma was always cheaper.

Sean, it looks good. So the bars go down for slow cruising and then up whem your humping the ditches?

I have a samsung 50" plasma and it sits directly in the line of sight with my window and sunlight and glare are non issues. Matt where are you seeing plasmas more expensive? They are the cheaper technology and cheaper in the stores. I have yet to see one priced more and they now have "cold" plasmas so you don't have all the heat. Hell even when I worked at Sears, feature for feature, plasma was always cheaper.

I got my TV'S at ultimate electronics. The plasma TV's were easily 500 bucks more a pop....

I must have had a really unique experience.

Sean, it looks good. So the bars go down for slow cruising and then up whem your humping the ditches?

Sort of. Down for twisties, up for bumps. Obviously if you go back and forth you have to pick or stop often, but it allows WAY more flexibility and comfort than not having adjustability. I have 3" of adjusters on the Rush and it's sweet!