Sign in to follow this  
dropkick13

What frequency?

I started a thread a couple weeks ago but I butchered my questioning so bad that I wasn't able to get the response I was looking for so I'm gonna try again. Anyway, what frequency is the foot pedal of the bass drum typically played at? If possible, I'm wanting my sub to maximize that frequency, as I love the short kicks in the back of my seat, and minimize the other frequencies of the long bass notes that, when played with too much volume, drown out my mids/highs.

I have an RL-p12 in 1.35 cu ft sealed w/ a JBL 1200.1 (1200wrms). I'm willing to build a new box if need be.

As of right now, I've lowered my LPF on my amp all the way and tried to play w/ my crappy 3 band equalizer but I'm guessing there's more I can do. I can't even come to a conclusion what my headunit's cross over should be set at (50, 80, or 125hz) as the bass response varies dramatically with each song (I listen to different genres).

The noise you typically hear coming from a kickdrum that you feel in your chest isn't coming from your subs.

It comes from your midbass.

Sounds like it's time to re-evaluate your front stage.

try setting your sub crossover at 125hz if it has higher go higher. the lowpass filter on the amp turn all the way up 250hz or so if you have any freq from 80- 500hz on the eq boost them and lower the (sub) 80hz range. this should help increase the midbass a little but will also ruin the imagine. your best bet is to get a great set of midbass drivers and locate them up front added on to your set something in the kicks would work if you have room or in the door and relocate your midrange to the kick.

So you guys are saying the kick drum plays at a higher frequency then I thought? When I raise the cross over and LPF, I get more of the sound I don't want. Also, I listen to a lot of metal and I'm really wanting to maximize the Double Bass. I'm definitely hearing it through the sub, is my setup screwy?

mid bass is where it's at, for rock/metal

all i added was some 6.5" id oems.

what a diference, it is the kick missing in bass drums.

now my sub sounds like it should and not muddy at all.

So you guys are saying the kick drum plays at a higher frequency then I thought? When I raise the cross over and LPF, I get more of the sound I don't want. Also, I listen to a lot of metal and I'm really wanting to maximize the Double Bass. I'm definitely hearing it through the sub, is my setup screwy?

Have you tried playing with the phase on your midbasses ? How do you have them high-passed now ?

Should I not be hearing the double bass through my sub? I definitely do, and I actually like it.

I have an ext cab silverado so my speakers are down in the kicks. I have Pioneer 720's. Do you guys think I would benefit from adding another set of 6.5's in the rear (as I have my stock Bose disconnected back there) ?

I have not messed with the phasing. I think I might have wired something wrong though. I really don't get much bass at all through the mids, even when I mess with the EQ. I don't really know what I'm doing when I mess with all the bass knobs and settings on the head unit. I'm just kind of guessing and testing haha.

O and I'm running the passive Xovers.

I have the same type of vehicle and I added a pair of 6.5" in my factory door locations. That added quite a bit of mid bass that I was lacking with my front stage. I wouldn't bother with the rear locations.

I should add that I added my midbass' with an old passive Kicker MB-100 bandpass midbass passive crossover on my 4 channel amp. I recently upgraded to a Sundown SAX100.4D and plan on going ative.

Edited by OldSkool_08

Do I have something wired wrong? When I play with the fade/balance, here's what happens:

Bal right = only mid's play (both sides), yet they are not very full of bass.

Bal Left = only tweets (both sides).

While there is a bit of a difference in sound between playing only tweets vs only mids, it is not nearly what I would expect when comparing a 1.75" tweet vs a 6.5" mid bass

Fade Fwd = nothing

Fade Rear = no music (this makes sense since I disconnected my rear speakers

So overall, I'm thinking I definitely have something wired wrong and I must be missing a setting to toggle since I'm not getting a heck of a lot of bass from my mids. I do still need to deaden my doors which I hear helps a lot.

Anyone live near Annapolis and want to mess with this?

Are you using the stock head unit with a LOC or an aftermarket head unit with preouts?

How do you have the output wires from the amp going to the passive crossovers? Then from the crossovers to the mids and tweeters? Also, what is the highpass crossover set at on the amplifier?

Or am I missing something and you're just using the head unit to power the components? If so, then where does the EQ come into play?

If you have an amp for the components, turn the head unit crossovers off and use the ones on the amp.

Do I have something wired wrong? When I play with the fade/balance, here's what happens:

Bal right = only mid's play (both sides), yet they are not very full of bass.

Bal Left = only tweets (both sides).

I would have to say you have something wrong there. Can you list how everything is hooked up between the head unit, amps and speakers/crossovers ?

I gotta shower and run to home depot for another project. I'll double check how everything is wired and post it up in about 2 hours (but yes, I'm using a JL 300/4 for the mids/tweets)

foot pedal bass drum should play just fine through the subs. . . Not what I would consider midbass. . .hmmmm. . .

If your amp has a subwonic filter, be sure it is all the way up.

Edited by BKOLFO4

alright, I bridged my JL 300/4 so that one channel is going to one crossover and the other channel to the other crossover. Then I have the mid and tweet from each side going to a crossover. Then I have one set of RCA's for each channel running to my head unit.

What would you guys recommend for my amp settings? I would imagine it should be the same for each channel, right?

HPF should be around 100hz (shallow slope 12dB), LPF off. Really all you can do on that amp.

it doesnt drop as fast.

I think what is happening here is that some people have different definitions for "midbass" and "subbass" and what they call "punch" or "kick", etc. A typical metal/rock kick drum has (what I call) it's "punch" right around 80hz. Sometimes it may go down to the 63hz area, but 80 is usually the magic frequency. There are also harmonics of that signal and we could go on and on and on about that, but I think 80hz is what you are looking for.

In my system, I consider that the crossover region for my subs/midbass, so both of them add to the "punch". Hope this helps, and it's just my .02!