ackslaxrichard

breaking in subs

It's not important, just play it. It'll break in by itself.

Let it wack out of the box. just keep things down a few seconds to make sure every thing is hooked up fine then let it rip

couldn't the spiders break...say in a fi q 15?

also, i heard that subs will get louder and last longer i f you play them on lower volume for a certain amount of hrs

Wanging it out of the box just breaks it in quicker. Playing them on low volume for a few hours wouldnt make a difference to the speakers life as a whole.

I play it at moderate volumes for as long as possible before really leaning into it. I'll still turn it up loud right out of the box, just not for extended periods

As soon as I know everything is connected up correctly, I let it rip!

haha

Me and Diablo has his 21"s going full tilt for the FIRST time we turned it up at all. lol

I play it at moderate volumes for as long as possible before really leaning into it. I'll still turn it up loud right out of the box, just not for extended periods

That is stupid.

ya that makes sense to not do it for extended periods

No it doesn't.

The only thing you need to do is make sure your install is okay. Other than that you CANNOT hurt your sub by playing it full bore right away. It will break in faster the louder you play it. The "need" to break it in is a crappy internet wives tale. :( Please stop propagating nonsense.

My Team's idea of breaking in most subs involves RMS+ some, in a to large box. Lol

Ex. 1 = Two L7 15"s on 2500 rms in 12 cubes

Ex. 2 = Two IA 21"s on 3000+ rms in 16 cubes

If you truly want to break them in fast, just run them free air at full excursion at a frequency that you can't hear so it won't bother you. I'd do this in my basement for a couple days and everything will be all nice and relaxed. If you don't know what you are doing though you could easily exceed its mechanical limits, so don't consider this a recommendation to the OP.

If you truly want to break them in fast, just run them free air at full excursion at a frequency that you can't hear so it won't bother you. I'd do this in my basement for a couple days and everything will be all nice and relaxed. If you don't know what you are doing though you could easily exceed its mechanical limits, so don't consider this a recommendation to the OP.

nice input, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't true that if you are trying to play a woofer or "break it in" but going easy so that it doesn't move a whole lot, you are therefore counteracting the cooling system in the speaker and really just heating up the vc? or maybe that's just getting to in depth of a speaker for this thread...

i personally think "breaking in" is just softening up the spiders to what they'll end up at, and burning off any excess glue/epoxy whatever used in building it. its not needed imo, and i have never had any problems

^^ you're not going to heat up the vc very much in a free air situation. it'll take substantially less power to get it to full excursion w/o the "loading" a box presents.

If your going easy you wont need the full cooling system.

nice input, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't true that if you are trying to play a woofer or "break it in" but going easy so that it doesn't move a whole lot, you are therefore counteracting the cooling system in the speaker and really just heating up the vc? or maybe that's just getting to in depth of a speaker for this thread...

Thermal break in isn't required, although personally I'd want to thermal cycle the driver right away so that if it needs to be warrantied you are covered.

Mechanical break in is all that really happens. The suspension is tighter right from the factory than it will ever be. The goal of a "break in" is just to soften these parts so that the driver will come to its equilibrium and no longer be "tight". No need to baby it during this step, in fact it will go faster if you are stretching things out to near its mechanical limits.

...u want to break it in ...right ? ...so just take a heavy(depends on the size of the sub) hammer and hit it one time (be careful that u dont miss ... you could damage the basket) ...and there u go .... its fully broken in 54.gif

That is stupid.

No it doesn't.

The only thing you need to do is make sure your install is okay. Other than that you CANNOT hurt your sub by playing it full bore right away. It will break in faster the louder you play it. The "need" to break it in is a crappy internet wives tale. :( Please stop propagating nonsense.

OUCH! way to make me feel like a jakcalope :)

That is stupid.

No it doesn't.

OUCH! way to make me feel like a jakcalope :)

al i can say is hahahaha

Mechanical break in is all that really happens. The suspension is tighter right from the factory than it will ever be. The goal of a "break in" is just to soften these parts so that the driver will come to its equilibrium and no longer be "tight". No need to baby it during this step, in fact it will go faster if you are stretching things out to near its mechanical limits.

Exactly - so if you don't play them hard enough to move the suspension really good, you are not breaking them in.

...u want to break it in ...right ? ...so just take a heavy(depends on the size of the sub) hammer and hit it one time (be careful that u dont miss ... you could damage the basket) ...and there u go .... its fully broken in 54.gif

not funny... i hate dumb ass comments