xprime4

rattling like noise with fiQ18

I had the Q in my car hooked on a bxi2006d @ 1 ohm. Never really pushing it tough. Never ever smell the coil either.

Now i change my car setup and decide that this sub would fit nicely in my home audio setup. so the big sealed 7ft/cu net box is now in my room.

It is hooked up on a getho amplifier setup with a 22amp rail psu and a ma 1889i amp @ 1ohm. getting around 240watt max with the psu capacity

well, the other day i realize a kind of rattling like noise with the sub playing at extremly low volume. At first i tough it was something on the wall rattling but then i realize by putting my ear next to the cone that the sound was coming of the sub. I've been using the same exact getho amplifier setup in the last 2 ytear without problem. So i tried with a cheap pionner sub ... no rattling at all everything sound normall.

I then remove the sub from the enclosure and hooked it free air. The rattling sound is there. so i was pretty worried and test the voice coil. nothing wrong here they booth read 1.8ohm. When i push the cone with my hand, sometime i get a scratching noise, sometime not?????

I tried with another amp, a kicker200.2 bridge and hooked a 4ohm. The noise is still there. I did a quick test in my car, no noise at all. But i only play with it few minute since that was freaking cold outside.

now i just read on ca forum someone with a fiq10 inch having the same excact problem as me. What the fock is wrong? are those subs known for this problem? i mean i never abuse it and it seems like the coils are half blown even if the dmm say no.

the noise seems to come from the dustcap in particular. I can be playing it fine for 2 min then 2 min after it makes the little rattling sound.

I don't want to ship the sub to fi cause i'm in canada. Getting one here was almost 100$, i can't imagine the round trip :(

thank you

Assuming the coil is not damaged, and since it is not constant, it sounds like a piece of trash got in through the pole vent and is rattling around.

I learned the hard way to make sure the enclosure is super clean inside before you put the sub in and start playing. :(

You could remove the dust cap and see if something is in there. . .

Assuming the coil is not damaged, and since it is not constant, it sounds like a piece of trash got in through the pole vent and is rattling around.

I learned the hard way to make sure the enclosure is super clean inside before you put the sub in and start playing. :(

You could remove the dust cap and see if something is in there. . .

that sound like a possibility... there was some mdf powder and pieces left in the box. I don't feel confident with removing the dustcap. but i'll try shaking the sub a little to see if i ear something that shouldn't be there

I should add too that this noise is more audible at low level then high... when the bass overpower it.

is it possible that the coils are reading fine at 1.8 but still kinda blown? missaligned or something like that?

If it has been hot enough or bottomed out, some of the coil could have bubbled and/or broke loose. You can normally hear that just pushing the cone in by hand a little. Be sure you push it right in the center or it will rock and scrape even if there is nothing wrong with it.

I don't know if you saw my post, but I had mine narrowed down to either amp or sub and took it to a super cool local audio shop to help me test it. They gave me a preboxed JL of some sort that ran at 4 ohm (my Q is wired to 1 and amp is 500/1000/1500 at 4/2/1) and at low volume, I heard the sound on the JL as well. I have a feeling it's your amp. That's what it seems like to me if it does it to 2 completely different speakers. Try the speaker back in your car for chits and giggles fast to see if it stops the sound. My problem is different than you though, my bad amp is the hifonics

he said the pioneer sub didn't do it, though. I'd agree with bkolfo, sounds like something got into the pole vent and is now rattling around inside. and as he also said, scratching sounds when pushing down on the cone doesn't always mean anything since it can scrape with just a touch of off-center pushing on some subs. Plus since you say it doesn't scrape sometimes, I'd imagine those are the times when you push it straight.

remove the dust cap and run a sheet of paper in the gap.3.

if you have trash in your box.. you have trash in your subs.

remove the dust cap and run a sheet of paper in the gap.3.

if you have trash in your box.. you have trash in your subs.

looking at the sub design... how could something get stuck inside, there's nothing "open" in the sub. what is gap.3.?

i'll need to hook it again in my car but it still is pretty cold over in here quebec. I need to test the preamp (receiver) too.

Yeah the scratching sound whenpushing is pretty much gone, maybe i wasn't pushing in the middle enough.

thank's for you reply. I hope my problem ain't the sub, i love it so much

Edited by xprime4

not enough power? when i pushed my btl with 500 watts it was making a noise untill i hooked it up to like atlesat 1200 watts then it quit

not enough power? when i pushed my btl with 500 watts it was making a noise untill i hooked it up to like atlesat 1200 watts then it quit

Come on you guys, seriously.... Why do you post stuff like this?????

There is no such thing as too little power.

Again- THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO LITTLE POWER

You probably didn't hear the noise anymore because, I don't know, you were wanging' the crap out of the sub????? :Doh:

Come on you guys, seriously.... Why do you post stuff like this?????

There is no such thing as too little power.

Again- THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO LITTLE POWER

You probably didn't hear the noise anymore because, I don't know, you were wanging' the crap out of the sub????? :Doh:

it ain't power issus for sure. The noise is audible at moderate-low level but harder to hear at higher level.

I'll try to get a video tommorow, but i don't know if my camera will pick the noise.

Edited by xprime4

get on it!! i keep checking back here to see what you figured out and still nothing!!!

Like I said in my post with similar noise, I tried 2 of everything (RCAs, Signal Source, Sub with different brand and impedance, etc) except the amplifier minus changing all my power/ground/remote wires. None of it got rid of the noise. The noise was even reproduced perfectly in the other subwoofer.

It was a 4 or 5 year old hifonics amp so I can't say I'm surprised.

Edited by Oni

fiQ weird noisehere's a video of the problem. The quality is chitty and you might have to put the volume a little higher but it gives an idea of the "rattling like" i'm talking. the cam does pick the bass , but that wasn't playing hard. just real low level

can't find my mp3 for a different preamp source

my gf took my car this morning so no amp big amp swapping either :(

Edited by xprime4

Somehow it sounds like the dustcap is loose..

the sound goes away when i put a small pressure on the cone :(

On the cone, or the dustcap?

the sound goes away when i put a small pressure on the cone :(

On the cone, or the dustcap?

I'll need to confirm this later, but on with a little pressure on dustcap, the noise dissapear

i'm thinking of adding a little weight on it, would that change some of the drivers caracteristic?

I had a pair of Kicker C12's way back in the late eighties. After a year or better of hard use, I started to hear slight buzzing noises at low volumes.

The dustcaps were coming loose. I re-glued them, and the buzzing stopped.

Edited by MikeS

I had a pair of Kicker C12's way back in the late eighties. After a year or better of hard use, I started to hear slight buzzing noises at low volumes.

The dustcaps were coming loose. I re-glued them, and the buzzing stopped.

any tutorial on how to fix my dustcap without killing my sub. What kind of glue to stick it back? epoxy fine?

Feel around and see if it's loose somewhere. If you can find a loose spot, GENTLY pry it off. Epoxy would be good to reglue it.