lukegallant

Liquid nitrogen to cool a 10 inch btl

Well here it is. A freind got a new 18inch btl, and he was throughing out his 10.

I figure, since I have some left over LN from a computer cool, I would design a box and have LN cooling the sub.

Yes this will involve some major work on modifying the sub.

This ever been done ?, I just want to run 8000rms to it. And not have er burn.

This is my first post aswell, and ill be ordering some subs later on :P.

I figure if I vaporize the LN and have blowing through the sub, that it atleast not kill it for 10 seconds of playing.

Crazy or worth a experiment ?

Edited by lukeg

Then what watt you think I should put into it?.

I can get a hockey arena to hook it into something deadly.

Edited by lukeg

i think it's more the coil or the tinsel leads not fryin than the glue gettin too hot.

So... it may be worthless.

What you are after might be useful in a varying constant power environment where heat slowly builds up over time, none of the wires would be burnt because it's not constant current...

Like bassracing at 5kw+, lol, i'm serious. that would be insane.

LN is really cheap. If i bought enought I could submerge the sub, although I would need to get flow in the tank, and a good ammount of supply.

LN is cheaper than bottled water :P Althought the tank can set you back.

I only have one sub, so its more about that then anything.

Edited by lukeg

You must have a lot of time on your hands.

Seriously, 8K? You are talking about a burp correct?

And think about this. . .

What happens to a rubber band after you pull it out of the freezer and stretch it?

i think it's more the coil or the tinsel leads not fryin than the glue gettin too hot.

So... it may be worthless.

What you are after might be useful in a varying constant power environment where heat slowly builds up over time, none of the wires would be burnt because it's not constant current...

Like bassracing at 5kw+, lol, i'm serious. that would be insane.

Average Tinsels can take 60 amps each so 8k should be fine ..... for burps....

You would need ALOT of work on the woofer to make it take it though

You are going to shatter the magnets and likely burn yourself playing around with that.

Good luck with that one, I don't suggest trying..as it is a waste of time, unless you are bored and feel like breaking something.

You can't change the temp of ferrite like that, it'l shatter.

Also..we've had people burp 4 memphis 4kw's on stock BTL's with no problems..clamped around 13kw if i remember correctly. Edit: Also personally put 10kw to a 12 waaaaaaaaaaay under tuning...

Wait, you guys can still make a BTL 10 ? for burp purposes obviously...

No..

The motor is 11.25" in diameter.

Probably the last gen one.

Id say, bad idea. Liquid nitrogen would actually freeze the entire sub rather than just cool it.

I have seen water cooled amplifiers though. Same idea as liquid cooling for PCs.

This is just for fun, and it might be 12 im not sure, its just small.

Also, I would not shock the sub will LN, Id bring its temp down in a freezer, then slowly lower it.

The more im thinking, the more its useless but hell for fun eh ?. Like how people stick subs into walls.

Edited by lukeg

This is just for fun, and it might be 12 im not sure, its just small.

Also, I would not shock the sub will LN, Id bring its temp down in a freezer, then slowly lower it.

The more im thinking, the more its useless but hell for fun eh ?. Like how people stick subs into walls.

Are you referring to Infinite Baffle? That is far from useless.

Telling you that you are going to crack the motor and then you have a paperweight.

Listen. Don't do it.

I think the reason he is doing it is because it is useless to him anyways. I wouldnt try it.... But ill watch you!

Just use the same fluid that most liquid pc's use for cooling, as far as I know electricity will not flow through it just make some sort of heatsink for it....

Now that I think about it.... this seems pointless/difficult/impossible.

I don't understand.

Just ship the sub to me before you break it. I'll pay for shipping :)

The sub is a btl I can tell by the magnet.

As it is useless to me, its an experiment.

About the cooling liquid for computers. Its simply water or in some cases coolants. Yes they are non conductive. So is LN.

Nitrogen is mostly non conductive.

Also not impossible, I just need to study the driver a little, and design a method for the extream cooling :P.

I was listening to the sub in a loud speaker case, and it sounds preety nice, but for any car/home, I would want the 15-18 model.

Edited by lukeg

Sell me the sub. I'll pay for shipping. Don't just kill a sub w/o a purpose.. I mean what a waste... At least make some money off of it or give it to someone who'll use it.. just my .02 tho

Edited by nick_19

I agree with both Nick's and Ryan. If cooling is something you are looking at, think about air flow instead.