Sign in to follow this  
jcarter1885

starting battery upgrade and want opinions

no upgrded alternator yet but im in the process of looking for one for a 2003 saturn ion, the stock alternator is 105 amps. the starting battery is stock and i will be getting a xs power d2400 for my secondary battery for the 3000 watt rms system first and then change my starting battery. i wanted to know which one would be better just for starting purposes even though i know red tops are designed just for starting a vehicle best. i have researched and heard pros for a yellow and pros for a red, why would i want a yellowtop as a starting battery if i have a xs power battery in the back?

I'd buy something as big as you can fit.

Only optima that seems worth it to me is the G31 size (75Ah reserve).

i dealt with optima before and their not a problem, i know they been going downhill but im not about to pay over $200 for a starting battery im sorry just not my cup of tea. its either a optima 75/25 or the odyssey thats compatible but thats over $200, maybe later but not know. these are the only two that fit where i would like them to go without doing any modifications, so right now im either looking at a yellowtop or a redtop 75/25 as of now and i might just settle for the red since it will just be for starting the vehicle.

Get a yellow top. After I added mine the engine starts up a LOT nicer :)

appreciate the feedback, do u have the yellowtops as one underhood and one in the rear by amps or a stock battery with both yellow tops; just kinda curious how two yellowtops are doing with close to 3000rms which will be my setups rms. thanks

i would get somthing with more amphours... the red and yellows are like 45~55 amphours..... no where enough for 3000 watts....

now the huge yellows are 75 ah but that will never fit under the hood of a satrun

the d2400 is like 87 amp hours if i remember correctly.

i would find somthing with the most bang in the smallest package.....

i would get somthing with more amphours... the red and yellows are like 45~55 amphours..... no where enough for 3000 watts....

now the huge yellows are 75 ah but that will never fit under the hood of a satrun

the d2400 is like 87 amp hours if i remember correctly.

i would find somthing with the most bang in the smallest package.....

i plan on getting an optima for under the hood and a xspower d2400 for the trunk but i was just asking holley how those two yellowtops were doing on his system thats all. i just wanted to know which would be better for a starting battery the yellow or red (i barely play music with my car off).

nobody said i was getting two yellowtops for my 3000w system

Edit..

My bad, didnt read the whole section..

Sorry.

Whats the price difference of the 2400 and the 3100?

no problem, i think the price difference is 50 dollars. its not about the price with my batteries as of now its the space. both of my batteries will be in the trunk since thats where saturn puts their primary batteries. the primary battery's compartment is between 11-12" and there is a spot next to it under 10". So i was gonna put the xs power d2400 in the primary location for the system and the optima as a starting battery next to it. Or get the xspower d2400 in the primary location for the system and the xspower d5100 as the starting battery next to it but i didnt really see the sense of paying that much for a starting battery thats why i start asking about optima since it will fit also.

A few years ago when I was looking into this, everything said red tops were designed to be primary/starting batteries, and yellow tops were secondary/add-ons.

I have been told the same KU40.

I have the big yellow top in back beside my amps and will be adding a red top under hood in the next couple weeks. I like the yellow top, does what it was supoposed to do. I am running 2 Fosgate Power 1000's and my voltage stays pretty strong above 12.5 under a full load.

I only have 4ga and no big 3 right now, but in my closet sits a Crunch GP3000D that I want to hook up and see what it will do with some good strong voltage. Just too damn hot in SC right now to make me want to go sweat it out. :D

Edited by Sir-Lancelot

well i definantly appreciate the info and you help me saved some money since the redtop is chepaer, but thats also what i heard but everyone has the preferences i guess. but i will just go with the red top for starting battery.

I have had a Yellow Top under the hood since I started driving, it's a nice battery. Good strong voltage, has some decent reserves.

But I recently purchased a Kinetik HC-2400 for the rear, and it's a whole different monster.

Before with just the Yellow Top, I would drop to low 12's or high 11's all the time, and I would run at 13.6v-13.8v. But now, at idle I drop to 12.9v, and while I'm riding, I drop to 13.3v. I run, when batteries have had some rest time, around 14.2v.

don't know if you can find power master or not. but i think these are better with there life time warranty's. any ways the biggest they got is a 200 amp for the ion it will cost like $450. any ways i got the 200 amp version in my Taurus and a 170 in my truck. the stock alt on the taurus is 130 amp. i just manage to dim the light slightly with my fostgate t - 600-2. now i am wishing i bought the 250 amp lol's . here the link to the ion alt. and i am running a red top and want to up grade to a kinetic in the back .

http://www.motorcityreman.com/ion.html

Edited by sadistic_customs

don't know if you can find power master or not. but i think these are better with there life time warranty's. any ways the biggest they got is a 200 amp for the ion it will cost like $450. any ways i got the 200 amp version in my Taurus and a 170 in my truck. the stock alt on the taurus is 130 amp. i just manage to dim the light slightly with my fostgate t - 600-2. now i am wishing i bought the 250 amp lol's . here the link to the ion alt. and i am running a red top and want to up grade to a kinetic in the back .

i appreciate you to the fullest because i been looking for alternators for a long time, if i were to get a 200 amp alernator will i also have to get a secondary battery or will i be fine with the h/o alternator and a good starting battery(xs power d5100, odyssey or deka battery)

i appreciate you to the fullest because i been looking for alternators for a long time, if i were to get a 200 amp alernator will i also have to get a secondary battery or will i be fine with the h/o alternator and a good starting battery(xs power d5100, odyssey or deka battery)

depend on the system drawl in amps if the original is 105 then your only going to have about 100 to 95 amps to play with of extra power if your running some kind of crazy spl system with 10,000 watts bats are what should be used. then use the alt for charging them like every one says it's better to use bats not caps. caps = crap

you maybe able to get away with a 140 -150 amp drawl on the system from a amp but your better off using bats and a alt and isolator to charge them.

why not do both XS powermaster batteries in the front and back, that would probably be your best bet like D2400 starting and have the same one in the back, or go smaller like a D5100/

I would go with what others are saying and get the biggest amp/hr battery you can fit.

I have a 220 amp db electrical alt a red top under the hood and another redtop beside my crossfire vr2000d on 2 fi bl 15's and when I'm playing it hard my voltage drops to 11.4

The only reason i bought the redtops is they were on sale at Sears for $160 at the time.

Just my opinion

Joe

I would go with what others are saying and get the biggest amp/hr battery you can fit.

I have a 220 amp db electrical alt a red top under the hood and another redtop beside my crossfire vr2000d on 2 fi bl 15's and when I'm playing it hard my voltage drops to 11.4

The only reason i bought the redtops is they were on sale at Sears for $160 at the time.

Just my opinion

Joe

ditto because: i guessing your running a huge amp drawl. a 300 amp drawl will not keep up with the system even if you do it with a 200 amp alt.

QUestion #1-so correct me if im wrong and i know you guys will. my saturn ion has a 105 amp alternator and my system will be drawing somewhere close to 300Amps, so that totals up to around 405Amps. These are the three options of thinking of but correct me if im wrong (which is the best?):

Option #1- Get two 200A alternators and a good starting battery.

Option #2- Get the 200A alternator along with my 105A alternator thas in my car and a battery with 95(AH) or more to go with it.

Option #3- Get a 200A alternator and two XS Power D2700(103 AH).

Im just trying to make sure my electrical is sufficient and i understand the correct way to have enough electrical power to run my system without shotrtcuttin.

Question #2- now here is where i get confused xs power says that D2400 will power a system with up to 4000watts if used as a secondary battery. So if i had a stock battery and a xspower d2400 i should be able to power my system with no upgrades to my stock battery or stock alternator. In acutuallity do you go by the watts of your system or do you add up the amp draw and try to even it with some beefy electrical? Is xsPower using this as a gimmick to purchase batteries? apprecaite the help and info

bump

QUestion #1-so correct me if im wrong and i know you guys will. my saturn ion has a 105 amp alternator and my system will be drawing somewhere close to 300Amps, so that totals up to around 405Amps. These are the three options of thinking of but correct me if im wrong (which is the best?):

Option #1- Get two 200A alternators and a good starting battery.

Option #2- Get the 200A alternator along with my 105A alternator thas in my car and a battery with 95(AH) or more to go with it.

Option #3- Get a 200A alternator and two XS Power D2700(103 AH).

Im just trying to make sure my electrical is sufficient and i understand the correct way to have enough electrical power to run my system without shotrtcuttin.

Question #2- now here is where i get confused xs power says that D2400 will power a system with up to 4000watts if used as a secondary battery. So if i had a stock battery and a xspower d2400 i should be able to power my system with no upgrades to my stock battery or stock alternator. In acutuallity do you go by the watts of your system or do you add up the amp draw and try to even it with some beefy electrical? Is xsPower using this as a gimmick to purchase batteries? apprecaite the help and info

would like to get an answer to this so i can have further understanding