Sign in to follow this  
mikey5472

Mids and highs

Ok so recently I have really been itching to do a nice front stage to go along with my sub stage. I don't really know what active/passive really is. I also don't know if my h/u is capable of going active. I was looking to get a sax100.4. I need advice on what mids and highs to get. I am currently running all pioneer 61/2's an 4X6's. No real spending limit, well there is I guess but I can always save up moola.

What head unit do you have? Do a search on here and you'll find discussions on active vs. passive.

What head unit do you have? Do a search on here and you'll find discussions on active vs. passive.

I have a Pioneer AVH p5000DVD.

I think this amp has a bandpass filter option. You can play active with it.

I recently read that you can't easily go active with a component set.

You need to buy mid speakers And tweeters and tune it. It may be easier to play passive with a 2 channel amp and a good set of comps.

Just my 2cts! :)

You need to buy mid speakers And tweeters and tune it. It may be easier to play passive with a 2 channel amp and a good set of comps.

Well with my research, I found that active sounds better, and gets louder, Also has a lot more play wth tuning which frequencies for each speaker. Now if my h/u is capable of going active I would like to do a 3 way set up. 6 1/2 midbass in the doors , 3" fullrange in the stock 4X6 mount, and tweeters in the a-pillars. I need opinions on what speakers/tweets to get. I mostly listenin to rap, rock, an heavy metal. I would like to go 3way active if possible if not then 2 pairs of tweets, 1 in 4X6 1 in the a pillars. Thanks in advance.

Wow

You will need 6 channels to amplify each speakers. Lots of tuning to come!!!

And another amp for the sub.

It will be a big and nice setup. :)

Good luck.

Just my 2cts! smile.gif

Well with my research, I found that active sounds better, and gets louder, Also has a lot more play wth tuning which frequencies for each speaker. Now if my h/u is capable of going active I would like to do a 3 way set up. 6 1/2 midbass in the doors , 3" fullrange in the stock 4X6 mount, and tweeters in the a-pillars. I need opinions on what speakers/tweets to get. I mostly listenin to rap, rock, an heavy metal. I would like to go 3way active if possible if not then 2 pairs of tweets, 1 in 4X6 1 in the a pillars. Thanks in advance.

You can use components and run them active but you'll have to contact the company and see if they can give you the x over point between the tweet and the midrange. Also this usally voids the warranty on the speakers, thats why it is recommended to pick your speakers. This way you will know all the x over points. To find indivual speakers look on parts express or madisound.

What is your headunit??

i dont think u mention what this is going in but u have to look into you mounting depth for the all your speaker location. i would really recommend u try to fit a 8" midbass in the door or kick. id also like to recommend peerless sls 6.5 or 8" for your midbass drivers. if you cant fit those then maybe look into dayton 8". i run peerless sls 8s and a peerless 3" fullrange in a 2way set up. im very pleased with everything so far and i find no reason to have a tweeter since i am still new to active processing and the tuning involved.

i would not recommend buying a components set and running it active. imo i think you can do much better with diy drivers, for the money.

you also mentioned running 2 tweeter,this is big no no. 2 speakers playing the same frequency creates cancellation. i assume you brought up that option because listen to your music loud? 2 tweeters will not help, you will have to use more power (which the sundown amp can easily provide) with the appropriate driver.

if you want to run the 3 way id recommend that you use the 100.4 bridged (or 125.2 if you havent purchaced it yet) to some big ass midbasses and get a 50.4 for the mid and tweeter. oh you will also need to do a REALLY good deadening job in the doors/up front if you want to get the most out of this.

if you go 2 way the 100.4 should be good enough power wise.

do some more research on setting up an active front stage and ask plenty of questions. i think, if like me, you enjoy your front stage build more then sub stage.

It is going in a 2000 Gmc Jimmy, h/u is a pioneer avh-p 5000DVD. Idk what the mounting depth is in the doors, An 8 would be nice, but I'm not sure if it will fit. I'm not sure if I can even go active still. I need to do some more research. I will more than likely do a 2way , if I can't go 3way. I need advice on speakers. What would sound good and keep uo with my 18" XCON.

Ouch, that isn't a 3 way. Please read some more or ask questions.

- never run two pairs of tweets, it will sound like ass

-4x6's are generally useless

-a 3 way should consist of drivers that specialize in a certain passband. In general you want to find a mid that can play as much of the frequency range as possible

-generically speaking your first attempt at active will sound WAY worse than the same set passive. It is far from trivial to implement.

-there are very few 6.5" midbasses, normally that is a midrange and I'll add a really crappy size for a midrange

You are confused. Stop posting options and instead ask for advice based on what space, budget, and listening preferences you have. If you continue down the path you are on it will fail.

Actually I am confused. I have never really messed with my front stage. I just want something that I will be able to hear, I want it to be clear, I am willing to spend whatever will satisfy my needs. If going active is going to be a big mess with my lack of experience then I will go passive. But I still really don't understand the difference. Someone please just steer me In the right direction.....

Then describe your goals. Without goals it is impossible to steer you.

Ok goals

1. Sound good

2. Keep up with my Xcon so I can hear voice

3. Be clear

4. Help me understand what the hell I am doing for future setups.

Sorry M5 I just have never done any of this and decided its time for an upgrade.

-a 3 way should consist of drivers that specialize in a certain passband. In general you want to find a mid that can play as much of the frequency range as possible

-generically speaking your first attempt at active will sound WAY worse than the same set passive. It is far from trivial to implement.

-there are very few 6.5" midbasses, normally that is a midrange and I'll add a really crappy size for a midrange

You are confused. Stop posting options and instead ask for advice based on what space, budget, and listening preferences you have. If you continue down the path you are on it will fail.

what im geting from this post is that he is doing exactly what your telling him to do.

im pretty sure this is why he posted it in the first place if im not mistakin.

hes asking questions and learning about stuff.

Ok goals

1. Sound good

3. Be clear

Sorry M5 I just have never done any of this and decided its time for an upgrade.

sounds like you want a passive comp set since your hearing will be gone before you could learn enough to do an active setup. haha jk

Edited by lithium

what im geting from this post is that he is doing exactly what your telling him to do.

m5 just comes off alittle rough, if you read the how to post section it give you a pretty good idea of how your suppose to inform "us" as to what you are trying to achieve with your build.

Ok goals

1. Sound good

3. Be clear

sounds like you want a passive comp set since your hearing will be gone before you could learn enough to do an active setup. haha jk

maybe you could try a passive set for now and continue to read up on active processing. then experiment with running that same set active.

you could try something cheap like a set of pg rsdc 6.5s, they go for about 70 or 80 bucks i believe.

this is just an idea, imo, it would be a good way to learn more about this stuff in a more hands on approach.

Here is my problem with your request.

Sound good -- rather subjective no??

Keep up -- let's pick an arbitrary but low 135dB for your sub. Having a comp set play 135dB will make you deaf FAST.

Be clear -- at those levels acoustic masking will make this impossible

Understand -- gladly, but we need to know what you are trying to do today.

Really be specific. What have you heard that you like, what sort of music do you listen to, what are your expectations, what sort of install skills do you have, how much time are you willing to dink with things, how extreme can the recommendations be to fill your needs, why did you buy a sub first, what sort of amps, h/u etc do you have....

Without some background you will get subjective answers that don't help you with your understanding which to me is the most critical step. If you understand then the other three questions/statements are moot.

m5 just comes off alittle rough, if you read the how to post section it give you a pretty good idea of how your suppose to inform "us" as to what you are trying to achieve with your build.

yea i know. he just posted in 5 straight posts and every one of them he was like that.

people come on this forum to get questions answered and to get help they need.

not to get talked to like that.

^^^^^^^ See That is what I need, opinions on what to buy.

Opinions based on no information are worthless.

Go to a car dealership and say I want to buy a car, when they ask you what sort of things you'd like in a car give them no information and see what sort of a recommendation you get. Now go repeat at 45 other dealerships I bet you end up with 5 different opinions and none of them will be what you want.

yea i know. he just posted in 5 straight posts and every one of them he was like that.

Then they should read the noob posting guidelines or go somewhere else. This is supposed to be a serious forum but tools keep asking stupid fucking questions in stupid ways which is not a good thing for anyone reading, searching, or trying to learn. You'd be damn surprised at the level of knowledge on here and it is REALLY easy to tap all it requires is a little thoughtfulness on posts.

I mostly listen to rap. Some rock and some heavy metal. I hit 141.8 on a TL. I bought my sub because my other one blew, I was more focused on it, now I realize that sub stage isn't everything. I want to learn more about front stage, active passive all that stuff. I just want an opinion on what mids and tweets to buy. I don't always have my sub on full blast. If I am better off dumping my 4X6 I will I really want to learn more about this stuff. I have learned a lot on this forum an would like to further my knowledge....

So let's start at hearing about what you've heard that you actually like....

Then they should read the noob posting guidelines or go somewhere else. This is supposed to be a serious forum but tools keep asking stupid pucking questions in stupid ways which is not a good thing for anyone reading, searching, or trying to learn. You'd be damn surprised at the level of knowledge on here and it is REALLY easy to tap all it requires is a little thoughtfulness on posts.

you just told him to start asking questions instead of makin opinions and thats exactly what hes doing.

he's been asking questions the whole time.

all im saying is that things go a lot better and there's no problems as long as your not going off on people like you so rudely do on every post.

how should people learn if they dont start posts and ask questions. you act like you werent in any of their positions once. there was a time when you were just like everybody on this forum.