bigrank916

Badmouthing my setup

So I was at my local shop last weekend picking up some ring terminals for the big 3. I start tellin the owner what my new setup is going to be and wouldnt you know...hes talkin shit!!! Its not like I never bought stuff from him before. Hell the subs in my truck now are from him.

So its like...Btl? Whats this? It looks like a spaceship. See look at those baskets. Thats an old style. People dont use those anymore...Sundown? Ya I think a guy came in here with that crap. 4500 watts? No, never man. Maybe 1875 at most...Yadda, yadda, yadda.

I kept my cool and just let him run his mouth. I'll just let my system do the talkin for me. Cant wait to go back and blow that hairpiece right off his dome! :ready2go:

thats what i do... let the walkin to the talkin.

Oh well, some people might believe them. Then they let them rip it all out and thye make a sell.

Cant wait to go back and blow that hairpiece right off his dome! :ready2go:

Now I wanna see pics of that! :fing34:

Haters... :shrug:

its amazing how people tend to talk about stuff they have never heard of :Doh:

4500 and a btl hmmm :owned:

dont forget to get a pic or vid of the guy when you show him the sundown and fi and let him hear it. he'd shit his pants.

This seems to be consistent practice now a days in brick and mortar shops. Bashing product they know nothing about so they can push their brands at epic mark ups.

I get it all the time. I haven't met anyone knows more then mainstream brands, a few guys with DD and RE but very little. Needless to say they are VERY shocked when I show them the power of Sundown.

Im pretty sure what his look will be... :faintthud:

What was that you were saying again? I cant quite hear your mumbling over the deafening sound of my stereo. ;)

Im pretty sure what his look will be... :faintthud:

What was that you were saying again? I cant quite hear your mumbling over the deafening sound of my stereo. ;)

lol that makes me laugh.

This seems to be consistent practice now a days in brick and mortar shops. Bashing product they know nothing about so they can push their brands at epic mark ups.

There is one store local that has this attitude. They carry DD, Focal, Memphis and American Bass. Their idea of pricing is MSRP and then put in on sale for 10% off. They get pissed off when somebody brings up their high prices or another brand they don't sell. Actually it's just one of the owners that has that attitude. But then he is the first to say "Wow business is slow"..... :Doh: !

There is one store local that has this attitude. They carry DD, Focal, Memphis and American Bass. Their idea of pricing is MSRP and then put in on sale for 10% off. They get pissed off when somebody brings up their high prices or another brand they don't sell. Actually it's just one of the owners that has that attitude. But then he is the first to say "Wow business is slow"..... :Doh: !

It is shops like that which baffle me why they don't understand people are buying from online more and more. :Doh:

seen way too many like this bro...... sad deal really.....there is some young men on here would kill to have an opportuniy to own a shop, who more than likely have way more knowledg (important) and way more friendly ( super important) than some of these tea bagged b****'s

This seems to be consistent practice now a days in brick and mortar shops.  Bashing product they know nothing about so they can push their brands at epic mark ups.

It may not necessarily be their choice that they have to price it like that.  Some companies can be very controlling as far as pricing and sales go, especially if there are multiple dealers in the area.  I know they're not car audio-related, but Apple is the most notorious for this practice.

The reason behind it is some companies don't want to be perceived as a cheap, or even cheaper (which implies inferior), product relative to their competitors.

As for the shop owners, oh well, as long as you enjoy your system, that's what matters.  If you're buying your system to impress others, you're buying it for the wrong reason, anyways.

I had this happen to me one time. Last time I went to a local shop. This place was called auto extras.

Anywho. I asked this guy to build me a ported box tuned to 32 hz and this guy starts asking me what kind of subs I'm gonna run and what amps.

So I told him a btl and he never heard of it so I showed him the website on my phone and all the btl's specs and he tell me the spl is too low! That it should be in the upper 90's! And based on that fact alone that the btls were garbage. And then he started suggesting a jl w6 to me...

Oh and I when I asked him to build the ported enclosure he asked what kind of music I listen to and I said rap and hip hop n such and he said that sealed is better for that music. And if I listen to rock more then ported is the way to go.

Now I've had two 12" type r's in a huge sealed box and I loved listening to rock in my car cause the bass sounded so good.

I think this guy was just trying to sucker me in cause I'm only 17

arshole

You're lucky you know your shit dude. Shop guys will absolutely prey on teenagers, thinking you don't know anything and hoping to push all sorts of overpriced junk on you.

Last time I hopped into a shop I explained to the guy what I was planning on buying, and he not only decided to tell me I should be buying all Diamond, but that if I buy online I don't get a warranty(!). So that's, clearly, why I should be buying a $140 Clarion HU for $240 from him and paying MSRP+markup for some pretty mediocre parts.

Last time I hopped into a shop I explained to the guy what I was planning on buying, and he not only decided to tell me I should be buying all Diamond, but that if I buy online I don't get a warranty(!).

This is true! Coming from his point of view, if you are purchasing mainstream products that almost every store in the world carries, then buying online will void your warranty because there are no authorized dealers.

Now, new companies like SSA, IA, DC, Sundown, Mach5, etc.... who started out online and will continue to do so, they have authorized dealers online.

These storefronts may or may not be aware of this depending on how much they keep up with technology.

I will say this though when it comes to not listening to store employees-

I have a local shop that i ONLY go to for no car audio needs or for small accessories like ring terminals, etc... if i'm in a hurry.

I never talk about what i run because that, in an owner's mind, is rude when you know they don't carry the products you use and probably know nothing about them.

How would you like it if you were a car dealer and someone came in and went up to a salesman and just started tellin him how awesome his import is that he has never heard of and it can do all this stuff and all the cars there are way overpriced because imports hold their value longer, bla bla bla, etc...

The salesman would start gettin pissed.

That's why i don't converse about my setup at shops. The only time i will is when someone at a shop asks about it. This means they are interested in what i am doing to my car. Nobody is gonna start bad-mouthing a setup to start a conversation so nobody else should either.

You make good points there, but you have to admit the number of salesmen that will just sit by quietly while you buy some installation parts without asking what you're installing (with the intent of swaying you toward THEIR products) is fairly low.

Personally, I think more shops should just stop dealing directly with products at all. A smart shop owner would amass a team of incredibly talented installers who could can build custom enclosures and the like and just work on that end of things. No matter how much you "know" about car audio, nothing can replace the skill needed to put together a truly pro install. I'd pay for that.

shizzzon makes a good point.

On a different note:

What I hate most about brick and morter shops is what happened to me recently. I was installing more batteries in back and needed battery terminals w/ zero gauge inputs and needed them ASAP. I called 20 shops and none of them had it, which is fine but what got me was they asked me, with attitude like I am dumb for needing a size that big, "Why do you need something that size, your foolish blah blah blah. Come to the store and we will get you fixed up perfect." WTF, you just said you DON'T have the part I need, how the **** could you get me fixed up? By selling me a terminal too small for my application? By trying to convince me I am wrong? LOL Or perhaps saying you will put in a zero guage terminal in and charging me too much only to find out its a 4 gauge (true story happened to my boy, his fault for not checking their work but wtf).

This happens with retailers that I have known for over 14 years, so buyer beware! Not only must you research the equipment you are wanting but if you plan on having it installed research the installers with just as much attention to detail then watch therm do the work. If they won't let you watch ask your self why won't they? I've also never had a shop build me a proper box, ever. Shady biz! If I didn't know how to install my own gear I'd force myself to learn after all the grief and troubles I have gotten over the years from local shops. You pay too much for far too little.

well, the shop i am referring to, they put at least 1 show car in Carl Casper in Louisville, KY's largest car show every year and place every year too. I do not know if they put a competition car in the show or not but they have tons of trophies everywhere.

While no shop will sell the perfect brands for everyone to enjoy, they do carry Powerbass and i believe this is the first time this shop actually is carrying something worth mentioning for a while. There last "monster company" was Alphasonik which is a joke... Now, before that, they used to carry MMats but that's oldskool right there.

They have another division in my area and they are suppose to be far more up to date with competing but i know nothing of them...

Speaking of letting someone watch while a shop installs.. you'll pay for it here!

There is another shop around here that charges $60\hr to install anything u need including custom air ride, etc....

If you want to watch while they do it, it's $90\hr

If you tried to do something and screwed it all up and need them to fix it and install it right, that's $120\hr.

WAY overpriced!

Had the same issue at Freeman's car audio. They went as far as saying x-cons were junk and i should get w3 15"s instead. Oh and not to mention they wanted 7-800 for a 7cu/ft box :WTFBubble:

they probably said that because jl audio just cost a lot more and can't believe people are getting XCons which not only cost less than JL but are almost twice as powerful thermally and sound good doing it...

7-800 isnt anything, my local shop told me they charge $1500 to build my wall, haha, bye bye..

I have 2 local shops. One is completely mainstream and I hate even driving past it. The second is moving in the right direction.... with some RE audio and other non mainstream brands. He said he would like to sell sundown but that there wasn't any demand for it. :(

I think if he'd pay me 5 bucks a demo I could give demos all day and increase the demand :)