sl33py

Which shallow subs to get?

I know you guys will recommend going full size...

I have an older Toyota Landcruiser FJ60 and want some good bass without sacrificing storage/dog toting ability.

I am looking at one or two enclosures in the rear quarter panels (out of sight and paw proof).

I was thinking 10" or 12" subs (likely two - one ea side).

Powered by a single Alpine PDX-1.600

The JL 13.5" won't fit. Pioneer 1201's should, otherwise not sure what you guys would recommend getting.

total depth (not counting what hte enclosure will use up is about 5.5".

Thanks for helping me find something!

goals?

SQ with "good" amt of bass. A 4x4 isn't the best to build in, but want to be able to feel the bass while keeping it clean and tight.

I'm doing some 6.5 components in the front doors (passive). I'm wrapping up my damplifier install to help drop the noise floor a bit.

with the amp i already have - what would be a good shallow sub? Loud enough to hear/feel over the road in a 4x4? tight and clean but still loud?

I'm considering the following as they look like they will fit. Powered by the previously mentioned PDX1.600

Pioneer TS-SW1201SR

Kenwood KFC-XW1200F

Rockford Fosgate P3SD412 (not planning on running DVC - problem?)

Kicker 07CVT12-4 (getting kind of deep may not fit @ 4.25")

JL Audio 13TW5-3 won't fit, just too big. 12" will take some work and will need custom boxes ea side.

So i hope that someone with experience specifically with any of these can chime in? Or suggest another i may have missed?

Goal is the best sound clarity with crisp hitting bass in a small package. Which is overall best?

Not competing, not looking for pure BOOM. Sealed enclosures around .6-.75 cf3 ea. May be able to squeeze a bit more room for cf, but planning on that for now.

Thanks for helping me pick one!

I have an older Toyota Landcruiser FJ60 and want some good bass without sacrificing storage/dog toting ability.

I am looking at one or two enclosures in the rear quarter panels (out of sight and paw proof).

The JL 13.5" won't fit. Pioneer 1201's should, otherwise not sure what you guys would recommend getting.

Look into the soundstream stealth 13 shallow sub. i'm a soundstream dealer and it has a really good bass response being ONLY 2" DEEP

i've had experience installing the kicker cvt's, the clarion version and the pioneer. the pioneer is the worst of the bunch in my experience. just flat hated installing those subs. the clarion shallow subs are good subs, and with 300wrms a piece, would be a good option. i can't remember the model number, or know if they even make them anymore. i've been out of car audio for awhile. my favorite? the kickers! they kicked ass for shallow subs. i even ran 4 of them, 10" version, in my silverado for awhile. loud and low, and in a sealed box, i ran mine ported, they are very responsive. that would be my choice.

of course, it's been 2 years since i've played with any..so take my opinion for what it is, lol...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Look into the soundstream stealth 13 shallow sub. i'm a soundstream dealer and it has a really good bass response being ONLY 2" DEEP

Thanks for the rec. I looked at the stealth 13 - but it's a 13.5" sub like the JL - which just won't fit in the height i have available in those quarters. 12 is as big as i can go...

i've got 5.5" depth to work with, not counting what is used by the box.

Thx!

I would rather use a couple 8s in a ported enclosure or even a single 8 ported than shallow mount subs.

I'm not opposed to 8's in a sealed enclosure - would they fit in the shallow depth i need?

I would rather use a couple 8s in a ported enclosure or even a single 8 ported than shallow mount subs.

I'm not opposed to 8's in a sealed enclosure - would they fit in the shallow depth i need?

.6 -.75 cu ft sounds good for 1 or 2 8s per side. i vote two 8s per side or a 10" in that space. for the cost of a good shallow mount 12 you can find decent 8s that can fit.

Edited by lithium

i've had experience installing the kicker cvt's, the clarion version and the pioneer. the pioneer is the worst of the bunch in my experience. just flat hated installing those subs. the clarion shallow subs are good subs, and with 300wrms a piece, would be a good option. i can't remember the model number, or know if they even make them anymore. i've been out of car audio for awhile. my favorite? the kickers! they kicked ass for shallow subs. i even ran 4 of them, 10" version, in my silverado for awhile. loud and low, and in a sealed box, i ran mine ported, they are very responsive. that would be my choice.

of course, it's been 2 years since i've played with any..so take my opinion for what it is, lol...

Great! thanks for your feedback on those! I wonder if the pioneers are better now? the 1201's are the latest generation of them. What didn't you like? Just the install or also the sound?

I'll definitely check out the Kickers!

Great! thanks for your feedback on those! I wonder if the pioneers are better now? the 1201's are the latest generation of them. What didn't you like? Just the install or also the sound?

I'll definitely check out the Kickers!

kicker l5 or l7 8s or maybe the 10s might fit. im pretty sure the 8 have a mounting depth of about 4.75"

u can get an l5 8" for 65 shipped off ebay..

You could try the new Stereo integrity BM's. Not sure how they sound but I had a Mag D2 one a few years back and it had some kick and good sound to it.

Great! reading up on it now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the rec. I looked at the stealth 13 - but it's a 13.5" sub like the JL - which just won't fit in the height i have available in those quarters. 12 is as big as i can go...

i've got 5.5" depth to work with, not counting what is used by the box.

Thx!

Yes, but the cutout is that of a 12 in sub. its like 11.375"

You could try the new Stereo integrity BM's. Not sure how they sound but I had a Mag D2 one a few years back and it had some kick and good sound to it.

Great! reading up on it now. Thanks for the suggestion.

The BMs would be a good choice. The new Mags and BMs have the XBL^2 motor, which, if you haven't heard one, sound a bit different that other subs. They are very low distortion, which takes some getting used to. I had one of the new Mags but switched back to my 15" mag v.2 in a ported box because I just love the output and low end. The new Mags and BMs are in quite a different direction than the previous versions. They are really geared more to the SQ crowd with the low distortion, very even frequency response, and good blending with the mids.