forsellb

Hmm plexi/lexan box?

Would it be possible to make a box out of the clear material and have it sound just as good as MDF if not better? I think Id like to go that route, why I dont know but a clear box would look cool to me.

You can use lexan or plexiglass. The drawbacks are weight and cost.

You can really use plexi? I picked up a piece of plexiglass once and it flexed like crazy. How thick should it be?

You can really use plexi? I picked up a piece of plexiglass once and it flexed like crazy. How thick should it be?

If you are building an entire box out of either you need to use atleast 3/4" thick material. I have used 1" in the past.

yea I was thinking 1" myself, Im going to try to build the box for 2 mayhems. So it weighs substantially more? And it would have the same SQ properties right?

yea I was thinking 1" myself, Im going to try to build the box for 2 mayhems. So it weighs substantially more? And it would have the same SQ properties right?

SQ properties I am not sure of. The mayhems are a big subs you might want to go thicker to be safe.

SQ properties I am not sure of. The mayhems are a big su,b you might want to go thicker to be safe.

True that, and its worth a shot. Alright thanks! Im going to try it!

Most importantly be safe when cutting lexan that thick and be sure to post some pictures.

I have a huge sheet of 1" thick plexi, that I got FOR FREE. I made a plexi window in a box with it. You could def build a box out of it, but like nmssd12 said be very careful when cutting it, make sure you wear some sort of eye protection. When I first started cutting I didn't think I needed any, but you will def need it.

Would it be possible to make a box out of the clear material and have it sound just as good as MDF if not better? I think Id like to go that route, why I dont know but a clear box would look cool to me.

Nows thats a good sounding idea, Im gonna be tuned into your build when you start it if you do go this route.

What kind of adhesive do you need for the "glue?"

What spurred this idea?

You could just put a gasket type deal in between the plexi/lexan. Then pre drill holes and use BOLTS. not screw.

Edited by mdizzle5472

how do you even cut plexi glass because i tried today and it cracked...i think its only 1/4 thick

but i probably need a smaller bit

What spurred this idea?

Well just the fact that it would be cool, maybe have some cool logos inscribed on the bakc of it with lights maybe.. But a clear box would be cool. And yea how would someone go about cutting it??

You could just put a gasket type deal in between the plexi/lexan. Then pre drill holes and use BOLTS. not screw.

How are you going to use bolts on an enclosure to join the edges??

I know there is a chemical that is used specifically to do these types of things. But I forget what it's called. It basically welds the plexi together. I think that would really be the correct way to do it. Bolts would look ugly anyways.

How are you going to use bolts on an enclosure to join the edges??

I know there is a chemical that is used specifically to do these types of things. But I forget what it's called. It basically welds the plexi together. I think that would really be the correct way to do it. Bolts would look ugly anyways.

Right, bolts or screws would kinda mess with it. I sent an emai to the people from that link, hopefully they reply soon. Also let me know if you figure out what the chemical is called, I could use that info haha

And he means like predrill a hole and instead of a wood screw use a bolt, minus the nut on the other end. I do believe thats what hes saying..

Well if you just do a google search for plexiglass glue or something you'll come up with a bunch of hits. I'm just not sure which one is the best.

Well a bit more searching found Weld On. http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Plexiglass_Glue. Maybe #40 would be good if you know what you're doing.

I have seen this before in a few installs and looked real nice, now you got me thinking about it for my next box. Im gonna stay posted on this one, share what info with us when that company emails you back if you dont mind. Thankx and good luck

This would be convienent in a wall type build. You can have your wall, and your rearview too lol.

Edited by rmzsuzuki89

This would be convienent in a wall type build. You can have your wall, and your rearview too lol.

Haha, yeah that would be a site to see, a see through wall (kinda like an invisible wall, I wonder who on this forum will be brave enough to attempt this even though it will be a hefty penny to cough over).

I didn't see where anyone mentioned how ridiculously expensive thick plexiglass is in any real quantity. A 1" thick piece of Acrylic 2' x 4' is 250$ brand new for some reference.

For cutting it we cut it on the table saw or band saw depending on what we are doing with it. Joining it we use type II silicone and drilled and tapped holes and bolt the pieces together.

Haha, yeah that would be a site to see, a see through wall (kinda like an invisible wall, I wonder who on this forum will be brave enough to attempt this even though it will be a hefty penny to cough over).

The more I think about it, it would look sick with my 4 DP21"s in a 4th order at the B-pillars. :D