Sign in to follow this  
Notorious97200

changing box : how does the sub "feel" it?

I recently changed the enclosure of my sub. Nothing else has changed : same electrical, same amp,...

The old one was too small, and badly tuned (too high). The new one is really a good one.

When I made the change, I was not so happy with it. And after a few days I start to like it more and more!

Could it be that the sub need to adapt to its enclosure for some time before playing as it should ?

Maybe I am just getting used to it!

What do you think about that?

is the box bigger? maybe it just has more room to move and it is sorta going through another "break in" stage and stretching the stiff surround or something? just a thought, i really have no idea for sure :D

Nah.... I'd say it just took your brain wahile to adjust..... it just takes while to get used to a drastic change....

The subwoofer is dumb.... it doesn't know anything and will play whatever frequency at whatever amplitude the amplifier gives it... while it is possible the suspension wasn't completely broken in when in the first box is plausible I'd still most likely say it just took you a little while to get used to the changes in the sound....

Edited by Alton

Nah.... I'd say it just took your brain wahile to adjust..... it just takes while to get used to a drastic change....

sounds a lot more reasonable! haha :peepwall:

I'm expecting to have the same thing happen to me when I get my box done and my Q's installed.... They'll be a drastic change in sound to the Hifonics subs they're replacing and it will take awhile to get used to the difference...but VERY worth while!!!

You just had to get used to it.

Common psychoacoustic affect.

The same reason people think their speakers/subwoofers "sound better" after some extended but arbitrary period of time and incorrectly attribute it to "break in". Your perception of the sound has changed as you've listened to it more.

the biggest thing is you are used to hearing songs one way that get crazy loud due to the box tuning you had now as you start going thru your music again you will find songs that didnt slam before now hit crazy loud also depending on the way the box is setup it may have moved as you where driving. i get a noticeable decrease in output if my box slides forward an inch 3-4db decrease. your box may have slide into a better alignment.

it sounds like day\night when u put a sub in a high tuned vs a low tuned box so it might take some getting used to

i personally like low tuned over high any day

Edited by SPL_Man