Sign in to follow this  
jellyfish420

new kicks

mine sound fine...but my substage will way over power them...the tweeters are harsh...and im still trying to track down some more mounting hardware...damn ductape is holding them in place now, LMAO...

huh...my tweeters aren't harsh at all.i found the problem. it was a crossover. i had the two stacked on top of each other and one of them, you could hear the music coming through it. and then in turn the music was jumping to the other crossover. i had some old polk db crossovers that i swapped in and now it sounds 100% better.

can anyone explain the sound coming out of the crossover? better yet can someone explain how the sound coming out of one crossover can jump into the other crossover? can you not stack them on top of each other?

coil packs sometimes vibrate with the frequincy passint through them. ever notice how when you get near a transformer (which is a pair of large coil packs) you can hear a 60Hz buzz?

as for the music "jumping" i have no idea unless it was, agian, from the coil packs emiting Electromagetism which was effecting the other coil pack... my Xovers are in the doors behind the mids...so they are well seperated...

coil packs sometimes vibrate with the frequincy passint through them. ever notice how when you get near a transformer (which is a pair of large coil packs) you can hear a 60Hz buzz?

as for the music "jumping" i have no idea unless it was, agian, from the coil packs emiting Electromagetism which was effecting the other coil pack... my Xovers are in the doors behind the mids...so they are well seperated...

i had mine stacked on top of each other by the amps. i did it that way so they were as tall as the amps. when i put the cover over it, everything is flush mounted...get it? so is stacking them a bad idea?

might, im no expert, im just making a geuss to why they where doing that. if you want to find out just try unstacking them and see if the sound improves like when you switched to the Polk Xover (though it wont be the same sound, different Xover points and probably different slopes)

the coil packs vibrating, however, may be unaviodable, though usually small coil backs dont do it enough for us to detect. i never checked to see if mine did such a thing but it may be that you have bad Xovers. you say your tweeters wernt harsh? mine are harsh on or off axis if i dont cut the Treble back a few notches on my Head Unit. once agian, im just making a semi-educated geuss. Call up RE and ask.

when i unstacked them it quit jumping, but it kept making noise. my tweets used to be perfect. but now w/ my new subs they're kinda quiet. i found out why today. i think my battery is gettin ready to die. :( it was doing good w/ my RL-p 1 ohm load. but my dbx's are at .5ohm and it's drawing alot of juice. i check today w/ regular music, and on some low notes i was droping to 10.5V :( :(

10.5 is NOT safe for most amps...get a new deep cycle or two asap...

my tweets will lighten up as soon as they have to compeat wit han avalance 18 :)

10.5 is NOT safe for most amps...get a new deep cycle or two asap...

my tweets will lighten up as soon as they have to compeat wit han avalance 18 :)

hey do me a favor if you could...could you ohm your mids and tweets for me. there is just something wrong w/ my setup still. if i have it turned up past 25 (usual listening is 31, top is 40) it'll play fine for about 15sec. then it'll turn muffled. i even had a couple people listen, and they all heard it, so it's not just my ears ;) but it'll play fine, then all of a sudden fade out. i put the re x-over back in. still does it. my mid is 3.8ohm, and the tweet 4.8ohm. i got a couple theories...tell me what you think.

a ) H/U RCA outputs going bad (didn't pioneer have a problem w/ them?)

b ) amp going bad

c ) RCAs going bad

d ) tweet going bad

anything else you can think of throw it up. i really wanna get this fixed.

wow, that is really weird, thoes measurments make sence, sort of. if each has a nominal impeadence of 6ohms and they are wired in parallel with the added resitance of the Xover...that is 4ohm nominal for the entire set up...though most componets 6.5 is 4ohm....weird, ill see what i can do but for me to get to the back of my mid i have to take apart my door, lol. but i can just take the panel off and feel around with my hands to find the terminals and then slap the multimeter on it and see what i get.

ok...the polk x-over sounded better for maybe a day....maybe it was just me wanting it to be fixed, made me think it was fixed. well, its getting progressivly worse :( i think its the amp. i put my hand on it today before i started my car it was warm(its 100+degrees here today :( ) i turned the radio on, and in ~less than 10sec it was hotter than i could keep my hand on, and for the first couple sec it sounds ok, cept there is still almost no sound from the tweet. then the midbass just disappears now and its just like having a 4" midrange screaming in my face.

grab a buddies amp and see if it fixes the problem, its been raining so i havent been able to get thoes figures for you...my garadge is flled with enclosure pices...

grab a buddies amp and see if it fixes the problem, its been raining so i havent been able to get thoes figures for you...my garadge is flled with enclosure pices...

don't worry about it. my other side came it today and i just took the readings off them. both 6.5 and tweet read 4.2ohm. so i took the old tweet out and put the new one in. sounds better. ( in my head...maybe) read the old tweet. 4.2ohm... :huh2: maybe i was getting a wierd reading yesterday. idon't know. then i measured the new one @ the x-over, thinking maybe a wire got pinched somewhere, 4.2 ohm. oh well. we'll see how it does tommorow. then see how it does w/ both sides in. what would you think of a new 4channel amp. that does 125wx4 RMS. a visonik. and run my comps active. currently they've got ~70x2 w/ the passive x-over. i've wanted to run my 860 in network mode for sometime. would there be a noticeable difference in sound?

well i've done a bit more playing...i took the db x-overs out and hooked the comps back up to the RE x-overs. still sounded like ass. well i drove around for like a week w/ NO highs! today i put my ear down to the tweets and they're barely making any noise at all...all the high notes are trying to play through the 6.5 ????? so i ripped out all the wires and rewired it. nothing...then put the db x-overs back in. wow do these tweets scream now! my front stage sounds perfect now! i guess it was the re x-overs the whole time. but at least it finally sounds good.

Damn, that was a lot of work for stinkin x-overs :faintthud: How do you like the RE's? I am in the market for some new midbasses and am considering them and DD's among others.

Damn, that was a lot of work for stinkin x-overs :faintthud:  How do you like the RE's? I am in the market for some new midbasses and am considering them and DD's among others.

i will be able to answer you better after i get all the resonance out of my kicks. i built new ones, w/ the factory kick as the back...and it is resonating like a mofo! i got the midbass turned down right now, i'll hopefully have that taken care by the weekend.

Damn, that was a lot of work for stinkin x-overs :faintthud:  How do you like the RE's? I am in the market for some new midbasses and am considering them and DD's among others.

I have some DD mids, they get pretty dang loud when ported