jrod1050

Adjusting the tune on a existing enclosure

I have a beautiful box that was built specifically for my vehicle. Now im going a different direction with my setup and I want to lower the tune on the enclosure. I have done a little research and I know that decreasing the port width will lower the tune of my enclosure but i will have to sacrifice a little port area to do so. What are the pros and cons of doing this?

By the way the enclosure is tuned to 35 hz and i would like to change it to about 30 or 31. I currently have 100 in squared port area.

Decreasing port length will raise tuning.

I would just shrink the width of the port..you may increase port noise slightly but it will be cheeper than building

a new enclosure

you could add more port length but it will mess with the interior volume

Very nice looking box! As Thumpper said shrinking the width looks to be the easiest option.

Very nice looking box! As Thumpper said shrinking the width looks to be the easiest option.

Thanks. Yea thats gonna be the easiest option. I would just build another box but it wouldnt be near the build quality of the one i already have

With that kerfed edge I'd just glue a 1/2" piece of wood onto the bottom edge of the inside of the port. Or whatever size wood would suffice to get the port area you want. What is the box volume and length of the port now? It might be worth looking into if lengthening the port would still get you desired tuning without lowering box volume below an acceptable threshold.

You do have to shorten the width the whole length of the port so if it has a bend it is going to be tough.

What are your goals with lowering your tuining?

At what point does the human ear start to notice a differance in tuning freq. change? How close to desired freq. is good enough?

i dont know if this has been said but you can make a removable shelf in the port

At what point does the human ear start to notice a differance in tuning freq. change? How close to desired freq. is good enough?

As soon as you have a 3dB shift in the signal it will be audible and perhaps memorable.

Im switching over to a to a Xcon and im trying to make this enclosure as optimal as possible. Im really going for a setup that sounds great and can play loud. I know that you have to sacrifice one for the other so I'm leaning more toward great sound. I'm also going to run a active front stage with Mach 5 6.5's and seas tweeters. Probably a sundown 50.4. I learned alot about active set-ups from you M5 and other members on here that know alot about sq setups. I appreciate any feedback on what I'm trying to do

Why loud? The compromise isn't just in the box, but more importantly how you balance your system once installed. Worry about the front stage and just seal that puppy up :)

Im definately going to try a sealed enclosure eventually and see which one i like best. Right now I'm focusing on sound deadening the snot out of my truck. I cant stand any rattle. Next Im going to work on placement of my front speakers