BanginGMC

8" in the doors.

I play Erich Kunzel pipe organ notes (20 - 28 htz) loud and proud ... while playing great midrange frequencies ... I just don't have a need for 8 s ...

my 6.5" drivers with a very powerful amp does just as good as any 8" out there ... I run mine full range with no crossover ... mine are in the kick pannels (they staged better in the kicks instead of the doors) ... just a suggestion sir ...

What is your set up?

20hz & loud, that would be everyone's dream 6.5.

Hell I want to run 30 of them in back. :drink40:

Blues Car Audio tweets in the A pillars ... crossed at 3000 htz

Blues Car Audio 6.5 " drivers in the kick pannels ... no crossover / fullrange

Blues Car Audio Isoberic 10" transducers (pair) in a blow thru enclosure ... crossed at 70 htz

All set up strictly for Sound Quality competition ...

Edited by Cablguy184

my buddys car with 2xDD lt ,2x 8" PA drivers and 1x PA horn in each door ...

Blues Car Audio tweets in the A pillars ... crossed at 3000 htz

Blues Car Audio 6.5 " drivers in the kick pannels ... no crossover / fullrange

Blues Car Audio Isoberic 10" transducers (pair) in a blow thru enclosure ... crossed at 70 htz

All set up strictly for Sound Quality competition ...

Just did a little searching.

Are you still running the old school LP drivers or have they brought new product to market?

Sorry to thread cap.

I'm the guinipig for both sir ...

and running ALOT of power ...

My new 6.5" drivers have the same if not better lms specs than most 8"s on the market ...

I have the same speakers he has and on more than one occasion I've been asked what subs I have when I was running just the 6's in my doors and 5.25's and tweets in the kicks, no sub. I'm down now to just the 6.5's and tweets and it just plain sounds better. My 6.5's are crossed at 32Hz and up....rolling off naturally on the top. Tweets are crossed over passively the same as Cablguy's 3000Hz and up. Same power....LP 2.2HV. Soundstage is dead center and eye level extending beyond the a-pillars. For those that call BS because I'm doing a build log, I had the tweets taped in place and the 6.5's in the doors before I started it running off an Alpine 7894, PA-II, XO-3, and LP DPS Q50. Tore it all out to do the build log.

Why is it so hard to believe that 6.5's can play low with authority? Will they bow the glass on the car? Hell no, but when you are listening to music in his truck, and Cablguy can tell you, his subs are barely on. He only turns them up when he wants to show off and get loud. Would I compare these 6.5's to an RLi-8, Tangband W8-740P, DD1508 or the like? No.....those are monster 8" subwoofers. Not the same kind of application. Would I put them up against any other manufacturer's 6.5? For any of the 6.5's I've ever seen and used, any day and twice on Sunday. These little suckers will surprise you. I've used Fosdate Audiophile 6.5's, pulled them after a day. I've used the ID OEM 6.5's, and ED 7kv.2's, pulled them too. The original Stillwater Designs Separates (gold label) 6.5's, and the later 6.5c's and pulled those as well. The Blues drivers just sounded better to me in my application, a two-way front stage. I have heard the ED 7kv's in an SUV (8 of them to be exact) and they were painfully loud.

I've not had the opportunity to listen to the SEAS CA18RNX or the SEAS W18E which I believe M5 has (I would really like to hear your truck and car sometime M5!!!), the Peerless SLS 6.5 or the HAT drivers so I can't comment on them, but I can't believe that they would be heads and tails better. If anything they would be comparable. I'm not wanting to start a pissing match in someone else's thread, I just wish people would keep an open mind about other brands as I've been surprised on more than one occasion by something in the car audio world. If there's a super 6.5 out there, please point me to it, I would love to hear it!

Either upload them from your computer to picture hosting site and link them to the post using the image icon in the toolbar or start a gallery on here and upload them here then link them to the post using the image icon in the toolbar of the posting box.

He said ANY 8. Strong statement. Curious as to the stroke and Sd of those "6.5's"...

He said ANY 8. Strong statement. Curious as to the stroke and Sd of those "6.5's"...

That's why I posted what I did....I'm not sure he knows about the RLi-8....I KNOW that's a strong sub that will absolutely smoke what the Blues 6.5 will do on sub-bass SPL, as will the other 8's I posted. Now if you try to use an RLi-8 or the others like we are in a two-way front stage with nothing more than a tweeter, we've got a whole new ballgame as I don't think those drivers can be used like we are using these.

The T/S parameters will be posted on the Blues website when they are closer to actual production.....that's straight from the person making them. These are a SOUND QUALITY driver made for listening to music, not for doing SPL. When playing music they will be tough to beat for midrange detail and midbass definition. They will reach down pretty darn low, and roll off on the high end to blend with the tweeter as well or better than most anything else out there. I know that's a strong statement, but it took a $55,00, a $75,000 and a $110,000 system to beat him out at USAC finals in Tulsa this year. He has $5,000 AT MOST (most likely less) in everything in his truck! In my humble opinion, that's a pretty darn good return on his dollar for good sound to money spent ratio.

We all know that you know what you are talking about, I'm just trying to keep the peace brother!

:drink40:

for the record ... I'm talkin Sound Qualty midbass drivers only people ... I do not do SPL ...

I placed top 5 in Sound Quality World Finals ... not SPL people ...

Edited by Cablguy184

this thread was talkin about midbass drivers in the doors or kick pannels ... not spl subs ... I don't compete in SPL ...

you wouldn't put a "sub" sytle driver in the door or kick pannel because of too much vibration and too much bass instead of a blend of music ...

you just want to be "loud", do what you want ... You want pure Sound Quality ... then let's talk ...

Yes midbass, exactly why I asked what I asked. You claim your 6.5's are better than ANY 8, so I asked for a spec or two on them as I highly doubt it. And yes, for pure sound quality

my 6.5" drivers with a very powerful amp does just as good as any 8" out there
I play Erich Kunzel pipe organ notes (20 - 28 htz) loud and proud ...

for the record ... I'm talkin Sound Qualty midbass drivers only people ... I do not do SPL ...

I placed top 5 in Sound Quality World Finals ... not SPL people ...

I'm confused on what exactly it is you are trying to say? You brag about their output, then say you're not discussing output levels? And what are "sound quality" midbass drivers?

Also, there's not nearly enough information here to really determine anything about your speakers or their actual performance. The parameters of the driver and size of the enclosure they may be installed in will have a large impact on the low frequency performance of the drivers. How the system is EQ'd, how much applied power and exactly what listening levels we are talking about are also a large consideration. What qualifies as "just as good" would also need to be defined. What exactly would we be comparing?

Considering how many vehicles in the past have used 8" drivers with excellent results (Mark Eldridge & Doug Winker I believe used JBL 2118's in a 2-way, for example) and the subjectivity and different qualities and categories of judging, I wouldn't necessarily take your claim to 5th @ Finals as qualifying your speakers as demonstrating they "out perform" any 8" on the market....especially when stated in such vague terms and without additional pertinent considerations.

Really, so far your posts have told me absolutely nothing other than you like to state subjective opinions of your equipment compared to others in a very generic manor.

FWIW, I have a pair of 6.5" drivers with 12mm Xmax that can play well up to ~2.5khz and should have great low frequency extension in a vehicle, that also employ a linear motor technology and shorting rings to aid in lowering distortion (et al). I would be interested to see how these compare to your magic speakers :)

What ever guys ... who cares ... I'll be competing this year ... Usaci Sound Quality, modified SQ+ class, Sound Q, and Street Beat 2 ... hope to see you in the lanes ... if you are competing in higher classes than me, then you already know your system is better than mine ... if you dont compete against me, then we will never know, will we ?? see you in the lanes ... put up or shut up !!

Edited by Cablguy184

Considering you pop on here like you are selling something and claim that your 6.5" is better than any 8" driver available how do you expect that people would respond? Add to that you aren't typing in full sentences and are rather hard to understand. The only pissing here is one direction. :(

sorry for the confusion guys ... won't happen again ... please check out my cardomain site and let me know what you think of my truck ... i'm having trouble uploading pics ...

Interesting to say the least.

You want pure Sound Quality ... then let's talk ...

Got SPL ?? ... Yes, its a custom built blow thru enclosure (box in the bed) ... wicked huh ... Theres more pvc in this box than most irrigation systems ...

A Pair of Blues Isoberic 10" subs (wired in series 8 ohm mono) in a custom enclosure tuned to 20-24hz

(this enclosure is VERY complicated ... don't ask) ... 140db at 28hz ... oh yes, very aggressive !!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2620346

this thread was talkin about midbass drivers in the doors or kick pannels ... not spl subs ... I don't compete in SPL ...

I'll be competing this year ... and Street Beat 2

Isn't SB2 an SPL competition class? How do you not compete in SPL when you're entering a competition in an SPL format?

well, maybe if I gain a regional or world title in both divisions ... then there will not be any doubt in my truck ... or my audio skills ... guess I just have stuff to prove to myself ... just got to go about it with out killing my truck ... the way it looks in this forum / if you don't compete and win, you don't have bragging rights ...

Edited by Cablguy184

people on ssa really dont give two shits about titles or trophies. if you make a completely subjective claim, and someone calls you out on it, dont get pissed. if you want to add something substantive to the conversation back it up with some real facts or data

...well i decided to say fuck the 8's and just go with a 6.5 componet set.

It'd be a better fit for the doors.

Its going to be a bitch figuring out what im going to do to make it fit.. i dont glass.

I'll probably go with the Type X componet set. (SPX-17PRO) and a PDX amp.

Unless you guys think the AQ comps &+ amp would be better hmmmm? - probably the alpines.