smashedz28

EQ Selection and question

Ive been buying alot of stuff lately for my upcoming build. Well certain things are popping out at me that Im going to need to purchase... First thing is an equalizer. what is a good EQ at a affordable price? Would love zapco, but its not in my budget right now. Also I had a PPI EQ a while back and it only had 2 inputs (1 main and 1 aux) which were switchable. my deck has 3 sets of RCA's in the back (Front, rear, sub) .. how is this done? Do i only use 1 set going into the EQ and EQ out to my sub and high's amp's? Which set of RCA's off the back of the deck do I use? Front, rear or Sub? Sorry for all the dumb questions, just stuff thats running thru my head i need to get answers for before going too much farther. Thanks in advance.

Also let me squeeze this in here. Im looking for an affordable high's amp. Looking into MB Quart discuss amp's.. I was told here that MB Quart was a decent budget amp.. but that was for a sub amp which I got my hands on the sundown 1500 :D .. but for my high's.. is the MB any good? price sure is lol. PPI amp i listed in my signature is no longer with us :( so that's not an option anymore.. i liked that amp too.

Edited by smashedz28

Hard to recommend an eq without knowing what you need to eq for. If you just "want" one then you'll need one for each set of rca's that you want an eq on. Personally I'd recommend just changing your headunit if you really need one, but again knowing what frequency anomalies you want to deal with would help.

please post in the correct section. This is becoming an out of hand problem.Please post in either General or "Amplifiers / Head Units / Processors / Electrical"

As for the amp, I assume that after Maxxsonics took over MBQ that the quality has decreased. Doesn't mean it won't work for your application, but knowing what that is helps to.

please post in the correct section. This is becoming an out of hand problem.Please post in either General or "Amplifiers / Head Units / Processors / Electrical"

*moved

*moved

thanks ^^

I've heard that the MB Quart stuff isn't the other Maxxsonics shitty quality, BUT that's all hear-say.

But the quality has dropped significantly

Sorry for posting in the wrong section, have the fi section bookmarked. Now for my problem. I dont want an EQ to "want" one... I want it for getting the system to sound the way i want it. more control basically. Multiple EQ's isnt an option. I have 2 head unit's i can use. One premier that has the 3 rca's and a cheaper alpine that only has 2 (front and sub) . Ideally i want the EQ to control the entire system. As far as the frequency anomalies part lol.. thinking you lost me there. I like different types of music. Some rock, rap.. I want the system to sound good, but I want to be able to adjust it if need be. Im goin with a 18" BTL so im pretty much goin for something that slams real hard and hits those deep lows. Reason im askin all this is because here in the very near future im gonna tear this tahoe of mine down and i want to get everything ran so I dont do this again in a month. Part of that would be deciding on an eq and how i need to run it and the extra rca cables i may need. The amp im looking for also fits into this category. more wire's to run. I know maxxsonics from the youtube video's nothing more.. as far as them taking over MB ill take your word on it, I know how things get in situations like that. Any other recommendations?

I have the perfect EQ for sale if you are interested ... send me a pm for details sir ...

I have the perfect EQ for sale if you are interested ... send me a pm for details sir ...

You don't have enough posts to sell anything on this board. Please read the rules.

And to the OP, do not ever buy something from someone new on a board via PM. Dangerous. Not saying there is anything wrong with this guy but with no history I'd advice HIGHLY against it. Plus notice how he didn't offer to answer your question, but just to sell you something?

Ive been buying alot of stuff lately for my upcoming build. Well certain things are popping out at me that Im going to need to purchase... First thing is an equalizer. what is a good EQ at a affordable price? Would love zapco, but its not in my budget right now. Also I had a PPI EQ a while back and it only had 2 inputs (1 main and 1 aux) which were switchable. my deck has 3 sets of RCA's in the back (Front, rear, sub) .. how is this done? Do i only use 1 set going into the EQ and EQ out to my sub and high's amp's? Which set of RCA's off the back of the deck do I use? Front, rear or Sub? Sorry for all the dumb questions, just stuff thats running thru my head i need to get answers for before going too much farther. Thanks in advance.

I have a half din, in dash clarion eqs746, its not that expensive and it has two sets of inputs (main and aux) and three outputs ( Front,Rear, and Sub). Its has 7 bands (compared to most that i see with only 5 or 4) which gives u a lot of space to adjust your system after your head unit. I like it. How its set up, u would use one pair of rca's off of your head unit that is full range into the main or aux and run your front rear and sub from the eq to your amps. It comes in handy when u need to tweak something fast or turn the down the bass (or completely off) when u play a certain song without having to go through your radio. Just twist a knob.

Edited by supaduppaman

I agree with M5, a new EQ will help you adjust, but over all will make your system more complicated. I would just get a new head unit, one like the Pioneer Premier DEX-P99RS that deck gives you way more options than any eq or if you dont want to spend 1300$ on a deck you could get the older 880 PRS. They have 32 band equalizer, phase adjustment for each speaker independently. 24 bit bur brown DCA's, 5 volt pre outs. They are pretty sweet.

I know that sir ... the PA2 belongs to Tips / Linear Power ... I was just helping a friend out ... Sir you don't have to bash me for everything I say ...

besides a Linear Power PA2 audiopath speaks for itself ...

Edited by Cablguy184

Stop taking everything I type personally and there is no problem.

You offered to sell something before having enough posts. Normally I just delete those posts and probably should have as it is a blatant defiance of the board rules you agreed to.

Also offering to help in PM's only states you are trying to hide. Not a good way to help anyone if you ask me as it just smells shady. Throw your opinion in public.

As for "speaking for itself", the PA2 is a line driver with a few EQ bands. Without knowing what anomalies the OP has in his system offering it as a solution is flat out wrong. On top of that with today's stereos there really is no need for a line driver. Add one more thing the eq settings and availability on the PA2 are crap. Overpriced paperweight IMO as even a fairly low cost headunit can have significantly better offererings for what the OP needs.

Thanks everyone. The premier I have is a damn good deck, don't have model number on hand but it's got all you could want in a deck. Built in eq so many settings. Damn thing was 550 new a few years back. Color screen. So many entertainment options. I just want more is all. Like to be able to adjust things without spending 10 mins going thru all the options in the deck. Just lookin for a decent eq at a decent price is all

As far as that guy tryin to sell me something lol that's not gonna happen. No Offense but I don't buy things from people in forums. Local craigslist yes. Appreciate you guys lookin out. Makes this site even better

Asking for suggestions on an EQ at a decent price is a pretty vague question.

First, as M5 pointed out, what type of EQ you need will be determined by what exactly you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to target specific areas, you might be okay with a 5-10 band parametric EQ. If you are trying to shape the overall response, you might need a 1/3 octave graphic.

If you are wanting to use all 3 preouts from the headunit to retain all of the HU's features, you would need to find an EQ with atleast 6 channel inputs and outputs. The other option is to use only a single preout and potentially lose certain features from your headunit (like front to rear fading, crossovers, etc).

Audiocontrol I know off hand makes EQ's that offer 6+ channels of input, however for their cost you would be much better going off with a more powerful digital processor like a used H701. That would run you $300-$400.

IMHO, your would best bet would be to simply use a deck that offers a decent EQ and live within it's limitations. It appears you want to use an EQ simply to change things to where you think they sound best rather than their proper use which is primarily to fix identified problems with the frequency response.....in which case, spending a lot of money on an EQ that would do everything you would like wouldn't really be worth the cost.

I understand your point Impious, at this point i have no clue what my system is gonna sound like, its sittin in boxes in my room. Im just trying to think ahead here as far as what I need for this system. I like EQ's.. all that ive had in the past have added that extra "uhmph" to my systems, this thread tells me I may have not been using them as there intended. but if it sounds better to me then it's doing its job just fine. If something doesnt sound just right, i would like to be able to tweak a dial and get it where it sounds good to me. IF i can find a decent EQ in my price range then im going to need to plan for it as far as running wire's and RCA's. as i mentioned i dont want to get this system in and end up tearing into it again in a month for something I could have taken care of from the start. Ive looked into audio control's.. looks like nice stuff but pricey. the 1/3 octave might be a little overkill for me as im not a pro on this stuff.. i wont know what the hell im doin turning all those dials LOL.. (would be fun for a while though). Want something i can mount into the dash and gives me flexibility to adjust my high's or bass or anything in between if need be. the deck i have is awesome.. just takes some time to adjust everything. alot more time than just reaching over and turning one of the dial's. I appreciate your guy's opinions, but I dont see an answer for this question coming any time soon. Appears i need to learn some more stuff or just go spend the cash and get something that covers all the angles. Thanks again.

Sounds to me you just need a few amps with remote gain control (bass knob). When you're EQing your system, it should be used to make cuts at frequencies to tame them down, not to boost them. Also, just a hunch I should throw this out there, never use your bass boost on your amplifier or HU.

Appears i need to learn some more stuff or just go spend the cash and get something that covers all the angles.

That won't help. Use what you have. Figure out what it doesn't do and then ask for help.

Turning knobs all the time won't help anything. Better to set it to fix the problems in the install and let it go from there.

hey smashedz28 ... in all its your system ... you fix it the way you want it, not the way other people think ... its your ride ... my suggestion, hit up a couple of local shows and listen to other peoples rides and find the sound you like ... thats the person that might be able to help you ... or at least point you in the right direction ... if not ... call Robert Rayfield at TIPS / Linear power at 601-939-8477 ... tell him Randal sent you ... He should be able to help you out ... if not, he definately knows people who can ...

hey smashedz28 ... in all its your system ... you fix it the way you want it, not the way other people think ... its your ride ... my suggestion, hit up a couple of local shows and listen to other peoples rides and find the sound you like ... thats the person that might be able to help you ... or at least point you in the right direction ... if not ... call Robert Rayfield at TIPS / Linear power at 601-939-8477 ... tell him Randal sent you ... He should be able to help you out ... if not, he definately knows people who can ...

Two things.

No more ellipses. Your "sentences" aren't understandable when you type that way and it is probably a good portion of the antagonism you feel.

And as for pointing in the right direction, that is what we are doing. If Robert promotes the PA2 it is a fucking joke. Completely unecessary product at this point. In fact EVERYTHING is not helpful to the OP unless he has a current situation that he is dealing with and wants to make better. EQ's in the wrong hands just cause problems and do not help the sound.

Not necessarily recommending this, just throwing it out there to maybe help define what you want. I had a Crossfire EQ, I think it was 6 bands (something like 60, 120, 500, 2.5k, 8k, 17k) or something like that. It only had one RCA input. However, it did have a dedicated sub output on it and a sub volume control knob. It also had a balance knob to go from left to right. If you don't have rear fill then a balance control is all you might need anyways. It was a 1/2 din unit. I think it may have also had crossovers on it, like 50/80/120 hz highpass or lowpass on both RCA outputs. It didn't cost much, I think I got it for like 60 bucks on ebay. The sub line also had a 6-8v line driver, which I really didn't need, but it was there.

So basically that's your option in small type EQs. If you want something more than that, you'll either need to go into 1/3 octave, or find a head unit with the adjustable EQ that you want like others have stated already.

Re: the MB Quart Discuss amps. I have the 4125 and it's a beast. It is IMO the best bang for the buck out there right now. I can only speak for the 2 Maxxsonics amps I own and they are an excellent value. GP3000D & DSC4125.

Re: crossover - install your system first. I have one on my HU but rarely use it unless the music is compressed MP3. You may not even need one so save your money until that day comes.

If you are looking for a nice HU with eq try the Kenwood X493 or X993. You can get the 493 for $100 installed at most CA shops.