quiet

Quiet's 06 Chevy Build log

$500 shipped on ebay from salectronics

How much did you pay for that HU? I like the reoccurring blue color ;)

How do the Hertz Comps sound? i'm in need of a new pair of sets :)

They sound decent, but the install take a lot away from them. I can tell they have some potential, little details in songs show up nice and clean. Once I get the amp installed Ill give a more accurate account of thier sound.

How do the Hertz Comps sound? i'm in need of a new pair of sets :)

I was wondering what I should do as far as port style and location. Right now I'm leaning towards a slot port at the moment, but not dead set on it. Would putting both of my woofers on the passenger side with the port/ports on the drivers side. be a good or bad idea? Also what port style and location would get the most out of the box and subs. I dont have much experience with box design, so any help would be appreciated.

this is a rough sketch(not correct in shape or to scale but close) of what the box would look like. The whole bottom has various curves and dips, so using it as a port wall is kinda out of the question.

possibleportlocationsslottop.jpg

You may have to experiment, but I think it looks good. Hopefully some truck owners will chime in. Maybe you could contact one of the builders on here and pick their brain. I am sure they would be happy to tell you what has worked best for them. Have you considered using aero ports? Might be easier.

BTW, you build looks very nice. Keep the pics coming.

I am NOT a box designer, But will give my though's anyway. When I designed MY box I used my NET VOL of the box on a Port calulator, Then you will Know how big the port must be. This is a good starting point as port size will probably dictate your port design. What kind of port are You wanting sloted, square, round, areo?

I know I havent updated in a while, but here is what has gone on lately. No progress on the final box. I built 2 test boxes to see how they sound in different enclosures. I also have everything in now and may start sound deading this afternoon. I can say that I am very happy with my choice on subs and amp, Sundown FTW!!!

1st test box, 1.0 cubes tuned at about 38 hz with 15 sq inches of port. it was pretty loud, but had some wierd sounds and was very "peaky". it was wired for 2 ohm in this vid with the gain maxed out.

2nd test box, 2.03 cubes tuned to 33hz with 30 sq inches of port. It is a good bit louder and has a much cleaner sound. Not "peaky" and no odd sounds. This is what I am going to model the final box after. In this vid the amp is wired at .5ohm and im guessing 70% or so. I checked voltage and it drops to 12.2 on "late night tip" and I havent got around to doing the big 3 yet.

let me know what you guys think of my progress.

For 8's, i would of made em go underneath the back seats if possible, i have a truck and if i was going to set a box in the back on my seats like that i woulda gone with 15's.

Other then that, i like it. A lot of roof flex. :trippy:

they will be going under the back seats. the box they are in was a test box, I wanted to make sure everything is perfect before I spend all that time on a glass box and find out it sounds like shit.

Looks good man but i gotta say do i hear clipping. Ive herd the 8s and seen them in person and they had no mechanical noise

Looks good man but i gotta say do i hear clipping. Ive herd the 8s and seen them in person and they had no mechanical noise

x2, turn it down some but besides that they seem like some beasts for some 8"s.

I noticed the clipping in the vid too, but its I couldnt hear it in the truck. So much stuff in the truck was rattling it was hard to tell what was what, and the box has a air leak too which didnt help to hear shit.

I did get some stuff done today. I have a bit of the deadening done, floor from behind the seats, the back wall and c pillars, the roof, and the drivers door. I also built an amp rack mounted it to the wall and installed both amps. I had to do a run of 4ga to the 50.4 because my knukonceptz distribution block is a pos and broke. I wanted to check out the 50.4 so I wired it up to just the drivers door and listened to that for a bit, and I am very happy with that.

heres a pic with some of it done, before the ensolite and all the wiring. Hopefully I can finish all the sound deadener and wiring tommorow so I can finish up that box soon.

DSC00807.jpg

Sort of a shame to bolt those Hertz mids onto the flappy crappy door card. They really should be mounted in the door. It will make them sound WAY, WAY better.

Sort of a shame to bolt those Hertz mids onto the flappy crappy door card. They really should be mounted in the door. It will make them sound WAY, WAY better.

haha yea that has been fixed. The only reason I did that was because my stock speakers were blown and I had no way to make baffles. They are now mounted solidly to mdf rings in with 6 raam btx2 tiles per door and a bunch of ensolite(well the drivers door until tommorow). They sound so much better in the drivers door now, just have to fix the rattles on the door panel itself now.

Im a little more than half way done with the sound deadening now. I have the roof, both front doors, rear cab wall, and the floor up to the back of the seats. I also reinstalled the interior minus the back seats and had a friend(rgncjn) help set the eq and amps since he has a better ear than I do. I am very happy with everything so far, the 8's are way better sounding than anything I have ever owned. Also the hertz are really clear and loud to boot.

I have one issue though I have a static type noise coming from my door speakers while the volume on the deck is at higher levels but no music is playing(ie changing sources). What is the likely cause of this?

Here is a few pics from today, these will probably be it for a while since Im on call for the next 2 weeks.

DSC00816.jpg

DSC00817.jpg

DSC00818.jpg

DSC00819.jpg

Looking good! Glad you mounted the speaker to a baffle on the door!

Much better. :)

Just an FYI, the Ensolite won't do anything on your roof. I'd pull it down and use it elsewhere. It has ONLY two uses: to stop two surfaces that are rubbing/rattling and as a decoupler

***unless you are using it to decouple some MLV of course.

Much better. :)

Just an FYI, the Ensolite won't do anything on your roof. I'd pull it down and use it elsewhere. It has ONLY two uses: to stop two surfaces that are rubbing/rattling and as a decoupler

***unless you are using it to decouple some MLV of course.

I did it because my headliner moves enough to hit the metal. I didnt want to have to do any sort of bracing on the roof or headliner so I wanted to try this first. It actually sounds so much better now.

Since you bring up mlv what excatly is its function, and how should it be applied? Also does it look like I did a decent job or should I add more in certain areas?

Finished up on my sound deadening today, floor and rear doors. I didnt do the firewall because I ran out of sheets but I think I am going to order some more to finish it completely. I also did a little on the box after I reinstalled the interior. Im going to glass the bottom I made earlier to the top I made today.

DSC00831.jpg

DSC00833.jpg

DSC00835.jpg

DSC00842.jpg

Also have some bad news, I killed one of the 8's today. The spider is no longer attached to the basket, other than that it seems fine tho. heres what It looks like.

DSC00843.jpg

DSC00844.jpg

DSC00845.jpg

Oh sorry for the huge pics my photobucket is not resizing like it did in the past.

2 8s on that amp should be crazy. watch the gains and your volume knob.

Looks like someone didn't take your advice.

Sorry about the bad news dude

yea I should have been a little more cautious. Im going to see what jacob says about gluing it back.

yea I should have been a little more cautious. Im going to see what jacob says about gluing it back.

He will help ya out :fing34: