I have an 02 Ford F250 5.4l XLT CrewCab truck.

I 'm running:

(1) 12" 09 BL with a Diamond Audio 1000.1

(4) Polk db6500 components with a 1000.4

Yellow Top

250A Rhino Alternator

Ever since I installed the BL I've been dimming. I probably have to install a seperate battery but I dont understand why I'm dimming when I got a new 250A Alt? I though the amp makes the power?

Did you do the Big 3 Upgrade? if not you will need to do so using 0/1gauge power wire

it's time to whip out the dmm and check your voltage with the car on. Once u turn the car off, wait about 5hrs before checking the battery's voltage. Otherwise, you'll just read surface charge and that's not the resting voltage.

if you just installed the sub there might be a chance that you wired it below 1 ohm, you may want to check that out too. Also re-trace your wiring to make sure nothing came loose. Definatly get that big three done that PT reccommended.

Edited by audioman21

x3 on the big 3. A H/O alt isn't going to do a lot of good if you have stock cables from alt to bat and bat to body/engine. Get some 1/0g power cable and replace the stock Alt to + on Bat, Bat - to chassis, and Bat - to engine. That will improve electrical flow from the alt to the battery, which will obviously increase the voltage from the battery to the amp. If that doesn't help, then you should probably look into secondary batteries. But before you go there, check all wiring. If you got the D1 BL, make sure you're not wired to .5 ohms. I'm not sure if your amp is .5 stable, but if it is, that could be an issue. If it wasn't, the amp would go into protect mode. If you got the D2 you should be wired to 1ohm and should be fine.

Sorry for not giving more info. I did the Big 3 a while ago. I also ran 1/0 to a distribution block where my 2 amps are connected to.

Hey shizzzon, what should the voltage be since when the car is on it's gonna be 14.4ish volts and 12ish when the car is off for 5 hrs?

My BL is a D2 wired to 1 ohm. I don't even play music the way i want to because it dims. If i get a another battery won't I need another alt? I'm just trying to understand why my 250A alt is not generating enough amps for my truck electronics and my audio system. How many amps would the BL be pulling at most?

Sorry for not giving more info. I did the Big 3 a while ago. I also ran 1/0 to a distribution block where my 2 amps are connected to.

Hey shizzzon, what should the voltage be since when the car is on it's gonna be 14.4ish volts and 12ish when the car is off for 5 hrs?

My BL is a D2 wired to 1 ohm. I don't even play music the way i want to because it dims. If i get a another battery won't I need another alt? I'm just trying to understand why my 250A alt is not generating enough amps for my truck electronics and my audio system. How many amps would the BL be pulling at most?

Have you tested your alternator to see if it is doing what it is supposed to do, dont know to much about Rhino Alternators.

did u ever meter your voltage?

I wanted you to post your voltage numbers so we can see what u have.

The BL does not pull the amps the amp is what is pulling the amps. So if you had no dimming before putting in the new alternator and now after you have dimming then it might be that the alternator does not put out the amps it is suppose to until higher RPMs which is then not charging the batteries correctly. If it started after you put the BL in then it must be wired up differently then your last setup was so you may what to check your gain and make sure it is how it is suppose to be. Also may want to check all your ground wires to make sure they have a good, paint-free connection.

it's an electrical system issue, nothing else. To drop so low it dims lights, that means the alt isn't reacting fast enough to the load or the alt isn't putting out enough current at a given rpm.

Regardless... if the alt isn't doin it's job, then the battery may be discharged.... this is what i need to find out.

hey guys, sorry for the delay. Here is the WHOLE story:

Under the hood I have a Yellow top Optima and a MechMan 270A Rhino Alt(something like this: MechMan.com - 270 Amp Alternator (40311361-00)

I used to have a Hifonics BX1500d (1500rms@1ohm) turned down to power 3 OLD SCHOOL JL 10W6s

It used to dim when I would turn it up.

Then I bought a Diamond Audio D3 1000.1 and I would barely notice the dimming.

Then I bought a 09 Fi 12" BL D2 and now it's like I have the Hifonics again.

I also have a Diamond Audio D6 700.4 powering 4 Polk db6500 components

I haven't measured current draw or anything cus all I have is a regular voltmeter.

When the car is running I'm getting 14.4v when it's off I'm getting 12

Like I said earlier, I have done the Big 3( chassis to engine, chassis to - bat, alt to + bat)

I need to get an Amp-meter so I can measure how many amps my truck is using with the system off then on.

Suggestions I've heard are get a separate battery for the system but I thought that getting the new High Output Alt would fix this.

Maybe I need a new battery? One of those PowerMaster D3100s?

What else do I need, can be done, etc?

When is the dimming.....sitting still idling in traffic, when driving down the road, etc? Do you know what your voltage is dropping to when the dimming occurs?

turn your music to where the dimming occurs then check your voltage like everyone said to see what it drops to.

It dims when I drive or at idle. Either 2nite or tomorrow I will check for voltage drop and give you an update . Thanks guys

what voice coil does that sub have? d2 or d4? is the amp rated at 2 ohms or 1 ohm?

I measured last night and voltage dropped from 14.3V to 12.1V. I have had my Yellow Top for maybe 6-7 years and it's been drain on multiple occasions. I had it tested last month and the guys said it was fine.

Sounds like your battery is wearing out. When you add the additional load of your system the battery does not have enough reserve to cover the additional load. Might be ok for stock electrical and starting but not enough to cover a 1 ohm load. Time for a new battery.

5-7 years is quite a long time for a battery. Not really sure how long they last!

Now on to what battery to get. I hear a lot about the D3100. I know that you get what you pay for but $350 for a battery is a lot of dough. Is there another battery that would fit my needs but cheaper in price not quality?

make sure you get a battery that wil fit in the battery tray unless you can modify it. I went out and bought 2 of the kinetik HC2000's thinkin I had a SUV and they would fit no problem.. WRONG. had to bend the hell out of my battery tray to get that sucker in there. Im not sure on the size of the D3100, but be sure to check that before you buy it.

A D3100 is a Group 31 battery, they are very large.

Correction!!! Any really good Group 24 and at MOST Group 27 batteries that will handle my system(DIAMOND AUDIO D6 700.4 and D6 1000.1)?

Correction!!! Any really good Group 24 and at MOST Group 27 batteries that will handle my system(DIAMOND AUDIO D6 700.4 and D6 1000.1)?

XS Power D2700 would be my choice.