ABXX49

Ryan J's build log

I'm going to go outside and grab some pictures of my interior for tweeter locations. HOLD TIGHT!

More pictures of the deadener tomorrow.

My midrange is going to go in the stock location. Unfortunately, I don't have that option for the tweeter. I want to go large format if at all possible. The only problem with that is, is that it limits my mounting locations to...one. I can't do a large format in the A-pillar or the kick. This is it:

67l0sp.jpg

and the drivers side:

27yyg68.jpg

The only problem I can see there is that the drivers side is significantly closer to my ear. Will my time alignment and EQ be able to fully correct that? If I decide to put them there and I really sacrificing THAT much?

I think you will be fine with the T/A and EQ. Also try different phasing on the tweeters and mids until you find the combo with the smoothest response curve.

Sorry for the delay on the pictures...seems i got moved out in a hurry and couldn't get them all uploaded. sorry to make everyone wait. will do what i can to have them to you by tomorrow ryan...unless you keep yelling at me...

Well as soon as I get a little more input on the tweeter, I'm going to go ahead and order them, the mids, and my Dcon.

I might lean towards a smaller format in the pillar.

The door issue is multi-fold. Way different pathlengths, off axis, not right next to the mid, and not high enough to elevate your stage. Depending on your fab skills the A-pillar solves at least one of those.

What are your thoughts on a small format in a tweeter pod mounted on the sail panels. The A-pillars are going to be real tough with the vent I have. Unless I mount them higher on the pillar. Is that not advised?

Vertical cues will come from your tweeter so higher than sail can be preferred, but if it is a serious pain in the ass ALL car installs are already based on tons of compromises so it is just one more...of course the sail isn't that much higher than your original mounting location. Hard to say if the payoff of mounting them higher is better than the payoff of using a large format tweeter. The one advantage of the sails/pillars is that it will be much easier to aim and that I am sure will help as relying on non-even off axis responses from two drivers to magically work well at your ear level isn't really something I'd count on.

I guess if your question was a yes/no I think I just said yes.

DEFINITELY :)

Seal them up.

x2

You can use fiberglass over the holes, that would my pick.

Glad to see another sound quality oriented install :)

Okay, so I REALLY want to use a large format. I've done some thinking while at work, and will follow up with pictures. Is there a certain point where you mount your tweeters too high? Fine line?

I think I'm deadening my floor tomorrow.

Here's a few more pics of the deadener:

The roof

2rmtc0h.jpg

25sq49f.jpg

The technique I used for the cab, minus the actual pictures of the cab...-_-

i1jtxz.jpg

6730q9.jpg

dp9rvt.jpg

The rear

23iexox.jpg

15douiq.jpg

w2kjv5.jpg

346l5qo.jpg

vd31ig.jpg

Interested in a review on that foam deadner please.

I'm going to hit the floor with the deadener today. I believe this is going to the the most important part, so after I get that done I'll write a full review.

Should be no higher than your ears and even that sounds a bit unnatural to me.

Should be no higher than your ears and even that sounds a bit unnatural to me.

The only limitations are that they can't "ride" on the dash. I can get them about mouth height. The only modification I would have to do would be to lose my "OH SHIT" handles.

Damn you did the whole vehicle in ccf and mlv, I know that it is going to sound awesome in there (no road noise what so ever, giving me some ideas). :drink40:

I like the pond as well, looks nice.

Looks awsome bro, I'm tuned in :popcorn: I wish that using MLV and CCF for the entire vehicle was in my budget.....maybe save up and do a little at a time :shrug:

Looks awsome bro, I'm tuned in :popcorn: I wish that using MLV and CCF for the entire vehicle was in my budget.....maybe save up and do a little at a time :shrug:

I did my ENTIRE truck for $483 shipped to my house.

Jay, it's crazy how quite it is. I'm going to get some videos of a comparison between the bed and the access cab. It's crazy.

I want to do my whole car since it is loud as balls with exterior noise, I was only going to do my floors but I may need more. Thanks for the heads up and tuned in for the comparison.

This is me, sitting in my actual driving position. I think I'm going to remove my "OH SHIT" handles and go with this. I, unfortunately, believe this is my only option. As Sean said, car audio is compromises.

r1et4x.jpg

4q1vo0.jpg

29zvle8.jpg

I want to do my whole car since it is loud as balls with exterior noise, I was only going to do my floors but I may need more. Thanks for the heads up and tuned in for the comparison.

The floor was by far the biggest thing with exterior noise. Shoot an email to Don Sambrooke over at SDS when you're getting ready to order. He'll walk you through everything. Excellent man to do business with.

Yummy, which large format?