ABXX49

Ryan J's build log

Yummy, which large format?

I'm pretty set on the ScanSpeak HDS.

For the mid I was thinking of the ER18 that you had mentioned. I have a concern, that may actually not be a concern at all, about this. While looking at the frequency response graph I noticed that there is a drop off down low. Higher than I think I would like? Maybe not? ...help me... :peepwall:

I'll be running a sealed Dcon for the subbass department.

Oh, and this happened too. My seatbelt torx bolt was so rusted it made my torx bit actually bend. It slipped out and all of my force went into my knuckles on the plastic runner panel.

25283_1222144041889_1477590045_30474829_4944200_n.jpg

Wow! Great job on the deadening! Looking forward to more pics!

Ouch on the knuckles....Just the pain endured when the quest for SQ takes over!

Glad to see the floor went smoothly without your second set of hands. excited to get home and work on the box/back panel sooner then later. keep me updated on when you get things ordered so i can try and work out some time to come back and help out

Edited by Decker

For the mid I was thinking of the ER18 that you had mentioned. I have a concern, that may actually not be a concern at all, about this. While looking at the frequency response graph I noticed that there is a drop off down low. Higher than I think I would like? Maybe not? ...help me... :peepwall:

The Peerless HDS is a hell of a tweeter, makes more sense to be sold under the Scan-speak label IMO anyways. :)

That tweeter is capable of playing low enough that the more capable midrange of the ER may not be "necessary". The driver definitely rolls off faster than the CA, but it is much sweeter in the midrange which is a reasonable trade-off depending on your listening preferences.

If you really want low, these might work. DIYCable.com : Intro » Home » Exodus Subwoofers » I only say might as I have no experience with them. I know their low end will definitely be sweet, but they are rather heavy for a door and I have no idea what the upper response looks like. Brad has a few of them in his closet though so perhaps he'll chime in.

I'll wait for Brad, if not I'll shoot him a PM. I'm also looking at the Tangband w6. It has great frequency extension on both sides of the spectrum. I feel as if I go with the ER I'll be lacking in the midbass department.

HDS

:OhYeah:

HDS

:OhYeah:

Adrian, do you have any input on which mid to run? 6-7"

I've made my mind up. ER18 + HDS + DCON.

For the mid I was thinking of the ER18 that you had mentioned. I have a concern, that may actually not be a concern at all, about this. While looking at the frequency response graph I noticed that there is a drop off down low. Higher than I think I would like? Maybe not? ...help me... peepwall.gif

The Peerless HDS is a hell of a tweeter, makes more sense to be sold under the Scan-speak label IMO anyways. smile.gif

That tweeter is capable of playing low enough that the more capable midrange of the ER may not be "necessary". The driver definitely rolls off faster than the CA, but it is much sweeter in the midrange which is a reasonable trade-off depending on your listening preferences.

If you really want low, these might work. DIYCable.com : Intro » Home » Exodus Subwoofers » I only say might as I have no experience with them. I know their low end will definitely be sweet, but they are rather heavy for a door and I have no idea what the upper response looks like. Brad has a few of them in his closet though so perhaps he'll chime in.

WOW those Exodus look pretty hefty for a 6.5". I too shall wait to see what Brad says about them.smile.gif

Not sure he's used them yet, but they are in his closet. Perhaps nothing comes out of the closet though :P

Not sure he's used them yet, but they are in his closet. Perhaps nothing comes out of the closet though :P

bahaha.

Starting to design my false floor tonight. Roughly. Trying to get ideas on how stealthy I can make this :)

Nice choice on the HDS drivers!

Those Exodus 6.5" are one sweet looking speaker!

Here is a little Sketch-Up I did tonight. It's really rough, but it's the general idea of what I have planned. I want to hide my equipment as much as possible. I did a little thinking and searching and found a temperature controller for a PC that I'm going to wiring in with a relay. The holes in the front of the rack will house PC fans that will only run when it reaches a certain temperature.

dr9r7m.jpg

Sweet. You are doing this right :) Makes me happy.

Started the false floor tonight. We'll see how far I get. I'll make sure I have pictures up tonight for you whores.

Like the enclosure and amp rack idea!

Like the enclosure and amp rack idea!

It's rough, like I said. I've already made a few changes in the first few steps :P

Okay, here is the start of my amp rack/false floor.

2cnedd5.jpg

2zoj96f.jpg

Titebond, clamps, and brad nails. You need NOTHING more.

oaoswk.jpg

e1ddu1.jpg

i4olrl.jpg

2iu9xm9.jpg

iqa0cx.jpg

2lbhque.jpg

**Just ordered some Neo magnets and 4 fans.

I cant believe you started this without me...talk about ruining a grown mans life. looking good buddy. keep up the good work