outhopu

93 Fleetwood Caddy build.

are those digital crossovers? they look awesome!!

also i love the color!!!

great work keep it up!

They are not digital. Just the passive units that came with the components.

Bolted the baffle in a sealed it up.

Picture595-1.jpg

Used a piece of flat bar to sandwich the board between it and the angle. I used stover nuts on everything to keep them from backing off.

Picture597.jpg

Then I foam filled the dead space between the rear deck and the baffle board. I did this to both seal and prevent rattles. I'll trim it all once it sets up and then put a coat of black paint on it.

Picture594-1.jpg

Picture593-1.jpg

Picture592-1.jpg

Started wiring up the batteries. So close now to hearing this thing.

Picture590.jpg

Very nice progress!

Looks like it's winding down til' you have sounds!

looking good..... you are close indeed

cant wait to see fully back together and juiced up again!

just realized they cancelled our indianapolis lowrider magazine show.....

too bad, was looking forward to seeing it, guess it's all on you now!!!!

chop

aww the melted marshmallow trick! taste good and works better lol!

(expanding foam is what i am referring to lol)

Very nice progress!

Looks like it's winding down til' you have sounds!

Yes indeed.

looking good..... you are close indeed

cant wait to see fully back together and juiced up again!

just realized they cancelled our indianapolis lowrider magazine show.....

too bad, was looking forward to seeing it, guess it's all on you now!!!!

chop

Not surprised they cancelled the show, they just don't seem to care about anything other than the west coast. It's going to be a while before the entire ride is done. This is the first of many things that I need to finish on the ride before next spring.

aww the melted marshmallow trick! taste good and works better lol!

(expanding foam is what i am referring to lol)

I gets it done but does make a bit of a mess doing it thats for sure.

:woot:

Well I can finally say that this thing hammers. I managed to get it wired and do a little shakedown run. It pounds out the low notes like nothing I've ever built before.

The car still needs to be lined with sound deadener and the alternator upgraded to get the most from it but I'm beyond pleased with both the amps and subs.

I'll try to get some video up soon. I have some more testing to do to see how well it will play real music. Once I do that I'll give a full report on everything.

o wow fired it up! NICE! getting the alt and sound deadener will make a big difference!! you think it is good now lol wait till the deadener goes in!

o wow fired it up! NICE! getting the alt and sound deadener will make a big difference!! you think it is good now lol wait till the deadener goes in!

I don't even have the carpet or interior put back in so it's extra rattly right now. I'm trying to sort out how to fill the 1/4 panels with 2 part expanding foam. I want to completely fill them which will give me about 4-8" of foam which should make them very solid. It can only get better from here out.

I just bought some 2 part ridged foam from the local auto paint store. I haven't used it yet but the package claims 10x expansion. The package also says that its made to fill body cavitys. The foam I bought comes in a double caulkgun tube, and I had to buy the crazy double caulkgun too. should make for easy body cavity filling I am thinking.

that stuff sounds intense! take a pic and post it! i want to see this double barrel shot gun full of foam! ;)

that stuff sounds intense! take a pic and post it! i want to see this double barrel shot gun full of foam! ;)

med_gallery_10399_421_105736.jpg

I haven't used it yet but will soon. The package claims that is ridged, sandable, paintable and expands 10x. The package says its for sealing off internal body cavitys to reduce noise and the make them more structurly solid. recommened for car box sections such as a-pillars. Won't deform the panel.

The name on the package is IES INTER-FOAM 10.

Sorry to clog the build but thought you might be interested.

wow that is awesome! thanks for posting the pic! i don't even think i have ever seen anything like that before.. that is awesome!! premium stuff

so it is 2 tube which combine at the tip? if so that is awesome! for some odd reason i got the idea there were 2 tips and once they hit each other they just expanded like made cats! lol

med_gallery_10399_421_105736.jpg

I haven't used it yet but will soon. The package claims that is ridged, sandable, paintable and expands 10x. The package says its for sealing off internal body cavitys to reduce noise and the make them more structurly solid. recommened for car box sections such as a-pillars. Won't deform the panel.

The name on the package is IES INTER-FOAM 10.

Sorry to clog the build but thought you might be interested.

No worries. It's good info. I've never seen the foam like that. I've used that style of set up for panel bond adhesive though. That will be much easier for doing smaller areas that are hard to pour foam into. I use the stuff that comes in bulk containers that you mix A with B and then have about 30 seconds to get it poured before it starts expanding.

Update..

There is a little more to do but here is a peek at it.

Picture612.jpg

The back seat set in place.

Picture613-1.jpg

Picture614.jpg

Now lets see if I remember how to post a video. Let me know if they aren't working.

Front windows down and flexing.

th_Picture604.jpg

did I say it plays low? 15hz test tone putting them to work.

th_Picture603-1.jpg

Finally found a good use for my daughters long hair :cheesy:

th_Picture606.jpg

Now all the gear gets pulled back out and I get busy with the sound deadener.

Edited by outhopu

That's a big change from the old rear deck with a pair of 6x9's I remember! :fing34:

DAAAMMN, that rear deck looks SWEEET. You are definetly getting some serious excursion in the vid, how is clearence between the front two subs and rear seat?

I believe that the foam you are refering to is the same stuff,(uruthane) the caulk gun is just for easier application into car box sections. They sell different densitys of the product also, for different ridgedness.

DAAAMMN, that rear deck looks SWEEET. You are definetly getting some serious excursion in the vid, how is clearence between the front two subs and rear seat?

I believe that the foam you are refering to is the same stuff,(uruthane) the caulk gun is just for easier application into car box sections. They sell different densitys of the product also, for different ridgedness.

There is about 5" or so of clearance betwee the seat back and the subs. Your correct on the foam both are a 2 part urethane and the stuff that expands less is also more rigid.

I played around with it yesterday and played a wide variety of music and the subs sounded great even on some old Metallica with the rapid bass notes they were able to keep up and not get all muddy.

DAMN! Much trunk flex?! Everything looks killer bro :drink40: I'm eager to see the end product once you're finished :popcorn:

Turned out great!

Definitely some serious flex going on!

:fing34:

DAMN! Much trunk flex?! Everything looks killer bro :drink40: I'm eager to see the end product once you're finished :popcorn:

Turned out great!

Definitely some serious flex going on!

:fing34:

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure what to expect since this is my first IB set up and I was surprised at how much pressure the subs put into the cabin.

That is the main reason for doing a trial run before doing any foam or deadener on the body panels. Now I know what I'm up against and can focus on the areas that need more than others, that will save cash and weight. It will be a while before everything is completed though. I have to pull the body off the frame next for the chassis work I have planned so I'm going to hold off on finishing the interior stuff to prevent having to remove panels and gear more than needed.

Congrats on the IB setup turning out the way it did. Very impressive.

Congrats on the IB setup turning out the way it did. Very impressive.

Thanks. I'm glad I gave the IB set up a shot. To be honest I had so many people talking crap about how it would have weak output or that I should just build a box...that it made it hard to commit to going IB. Well after getting this fired up I realize that very few people knew what the hell they where talking about. I have to believe the Fi subs and there power handling played a big part in the performance. It probably helped that I put a lot of thought and time into getting the trunk and cabin sealed from each other.

Did you ever get your IB set up dialed in?

I did get a bit more done also.

I bored a hole in the interior to start filling the front of the 1/4 panels with foam.

Picture621-1.jpg

1 quart of mixed foam filled from the rocker to the rear deck solid.

Picture618-1.jpg

It can make a mess if you don't get all the openings taped off.

Picture617.jpg

This is the area inside the trunk above the wheel tub. The foam really expands and fills a lot of space with a small amount of foam mix.

Picture619-1.jpg

Decided to glass and paint the dash to match the rear deck now.

Made a 1/8" press board panel for a air bag delete. Glued it in and filled the top with foam.

Picture625-1.jpg

I just used masking tape to make a border around the area that needed filling.

Picture623-1.jpg

Trimmed, sanded, and ready for glass.

Picture624-1.jpg

:fing34::fing34:

LoOkin' good. You will know every inch of that car by the time your done.lol. Keep up the Killer work.:captain:

LoOkin' good. You will know every inch of that car by the time your done.lol. Keep up the Killer work.:captain:

There will be very little of this car that I don't modify in one way shape or form. These are the type of builds I really enjoy doing. I like being able to put my touch on every aspect of the ride.

I laid up the glass today started with 2 layers.

Picture626-1.jpg

Then added 2 more for good measure. I should note that I sanded the entire piece with 36 grit before doing these 2 layers. I don't want any issues with delamination later.

Picture627-1.jpg

I'm using a very light weight woven cloth that will leave me a fairly flat smooth surface that should hopefull require less filler and blocking to get it ready for paint.

Edited by outhopu