outhopu

93 Fleetwood Caddy build.

Yea i used to use a full gas system when i worked at the auto shop, but it was the shops welder and was not allowed to take it. But yes i will most deff get a good system if i start doing more in depth stuff, like roll cages, custom exhausts, and custom amp rack stuff, but i havent used any metal as of yet. Looking good by the way i am very excited to see the finished product!!!

I dig the purple micro suede. As a matter of fact it the same color and material as my sofas in the living room. Bummer about the texture not sticking to the MDF. Sometimes you have to scuff up the MDF to get any coating to stick to it because it so smooth. No biggie, it's coming out nice.

It's called plum but looks really purple in the pics. It's a good match to the interior though so I'm happy with it.

I don't think the undercoating will pose any other issues now that I'm done handling and moving it around. The shit just scrapes off way to easy.

This build is amazing! The attention to detail is top notch! trink40.gif

May want to look to Herculiner when going for the textured look as that stuff works great on wood.

Worst part about it is I was going to buy some spray cans of bedliner but figured the undercoating would work. Now I know.

Well like I said before I wasn't really happy with the doors so I started to rework the drivers door today.

Made a new panel with a recessed area to allow the speaker plate to be angle mounted .

Picture402.jpg

I used 1/4" hardboard for the under layer then 3/4" MDF for the trim piece to do a semi flushed grill.

Picture400.jpg

Picture401.jpg

Glued it together and did a mock up of it. May change the angle a little.

Picture404.jpg

Used some body filler to flush the lower half of the grill into the board. Still needs another layer of filler and more sanding.

Picture407.jpg

I'm much happier with the way the speakers are looking now.

Looking real good, I love the sound Infinity speakers put out (one of my favorite brand speakers).

Looking real good, I love the sound Infinity speakers put out (one of my favorite brand speakers).

I had these in one of my old rides and really liked them. They handle lots of power and get loud as hell, without straining and distorting.

I had these in one of my old rides and really liked them. They handle lots of power and get loud as hell, without straining and distorting.

Yes they are very detailed and clear even if given dirty power it is hard to get them to distort but they will if you push them hard enough. A lot of people sleep on these speakers, if I ever go passive again it will be strictly Infinity.

Yes they are very detailed and clear even if given dirty power it is hard to get them to distort but they will if you push them hard enough. A lot of people sleep on these speakers, if I ever go passive again it will be strictly Infinity.

I was running them off a RF 4 channel amp pushing over 100w rms to them and they took it no problem. I've heard other speakers that cost way more that didn't perform as good.

Did you ever put a finish on the door panels before redesigning?

No, but I plan on using the same suede material that I used on the sub baffle when I'm done with them.

No, but I plan on using the same suede material that I used on the sub baffle when I'm done with them.

When you think you'll be done with them?

I don't know for sure. I'm busy as hell with building another lowrider that needs to be finished by the end of next month. So for now I'm just working on the Caddy here and there.

Here is a link to the other ride I'm doing. Check the build up and you'll see why I'm not done with the Caddy yet.

LayItLow.com Forums -> G-Body frame wrap I'm working on..

I don't know for sure. I'm busy as hell with building another lowrider that needs to be finished by the end of next month. So for now I'm just working on the Caddy here and there.

Here is a link to the other ride I'm doing. Check the build up and you'll see why I'm not done with the Caddy yet.

LayItLow.com Forums -> G-Body frame wrap I'm working on..

Nice welds :fing34: noticed from your from Michigan i lived there for 16 years.

What city you live in?

Eastpointe, just outside of Detroit. I've lived in Michigan for 34 years and I've had my fill. Hate the roads, weather , and people.

I'm going to try to get focused on this project again. I'm glad I took a break from it though since after not looking at it for a while now I realized I wasn't happy with the shape of the door pods.

I reshaped the speaker baffle a little and got the passenger door started to match.

Picture410-1.jpg

Picture409.jpg

I need to pick up some resin tomorrow and see if I can make some real progess. The heat is killing me though, was 100 degrees today and I don't even have A/C in the house to be able to take a break and cool off.

Sorry I'm comin' into this late, glad I picked up on it when your gettin' your second wind. Rear deck looks really good! Nice welds and I like the constrast between the center sub sections texture and the suede on the deck. Clean work! Lookin' forward to seeing you complete such a well started project.

Sorry I'm comin' into this late, glad I picked up on it when your gettin' your second wind. Rear deck looks really good! Nice welds and I like the constrast between the center sub sections texture and the suede on the deck. Clean work! Lookin' forward to seeing you complete such a well started project.

Unfortunately the suede isn't going to work out. It's already fading badly so I'm going to pull it all back out and prep it for paint and just match it to the body color. At least I have not sealed it and bonded it to the car yet. I've been doing welding and fab for years so the clean welds are easy for me, it's all the rest of this build that is a struggle.

Lookin' clean, Jellybean!!trink40.gif

Glad you're back.

Thanks.

Didn't get much done but I at least got the base layer of glass done that will give me the contour of the door.

I didn't get pics of each step mainly due to how quickly I had to work to get everything done. I first did a coat of thinned filler to get a good smooth finish on the back side and then layerd the cloth on before the filler set.

Picture411.jpg

Picture412-1.jpg

I should be able to pull and trim them tomorrow. Then I'll do some 2 part foam and get busy making them look like something.

I made some better progress today. They look like something now.

All trimmed and close to final shape.

Picture416.jpg

Then I removed them and sealed up all the edges and openings to allow me to pour the foam in.

Picture414-1.jpg

Picture413.jpg

Did a rough sanding to get the contours sorted out.

Picture419-1.jpg

Bolted it back on the door panel for a test fit. I think it's looking real nice I just need to work on the transition from the edge of the baffle to the bottom board now.

Picture418-1.jpg

Picture417.jpg

These should look real clean once they are perminetly attached. The door panels have a nice layer of foam under the vinyl/leather so the pods will squish into the door giving it a nice factory look.

Got a little more done after dinner.

I sorted out how I was going to mount them and counter sunk some 1/4" bolts into the board. I filled over them with body filler (you can see in the last pic). I will do a backer board on the back side of the panel and sandwich the door panel between the two.

Picture420.jpg

Picture421-1.jpg

I laid down a very light woven cloth over the foamed areas to seal them and make it rigid enough for filler. It's almost not visible once it's wet. It lays down very nice and doesn't pucker and lift around the rounded corners like a heavier weight or chopped mat does.

Picture422-1.jpg

Picture423-1.jpg

Picture424-1.jpg

Decided to wet the whole board down to help seal it so it won't soak up the primer so much hopefully.

man i seen this build when you did your first post and i some how let it slip my mind! and damn i am so impressed with this build! you do a hell of a job!!! keep it up! (want to do mine next? loll)

man i seen this build when you did your first post and i some how let it slip my mind! and damn i am so impressed with this build! you do a hell of a job!!! keep it up! (want to do mine next? loll)

Thanks. I'll do yours if you don't mind paying the price and waiting for it to be done right. I'm not known for being the fastest guy in town but it's usually worth the wait.

Thanks. I'll do yours if you don't mind paying the price and waiting for it to be done right. I'm not known for being the fastest guy in town but it's usually worth the wait.

I have always heard that-"You can't rush perfection" Lookin' great, waitin' to see more.