Camaroaq92

Break In Period On FI BTL 12?

Does the FI BTL 12s have a break in period? Im runnin an aq2200d on mine. Is there a certain amount i should put on it before full power??? please helpp :peepwall:

Really is no such thing as break in, the subs suspension is stiff and will loosen it up the more you play it. The harder you play it the quicker the suspension loosens up, a lot of people play them how they would if they were a year old when they first get them.

Bang on it man.

The break in time just means it will loosen up (like jay-cee said) and will get louder and sound better as the suspension loosens.

They don't loosen up that much, it's hardly noticeable.

Break in is a myth.

We recommend to allow at least several weeks of playing time to break in AQ Woofers, full break in may take many months. DO NOT play subwoofers at max amplifier power in the first couple of days, give the suspensions a chance to loosen up. As the suspension breaks in, the subs will play lower and louder.

- AudioQue.

I know its AQ but this is their take on breaking in subs.

:shrug: if you're scared about anything just be nice to it till you think its "broke in"

Have you ever seen why they recommend that? They give NO reason for it, they don't know jack shit.

I hooked this shit up. Its amazing. lows are completely ridiculous. Im puttin about 1400 on it just in case of break in just to looosen up, in about 2 days imma put the full 2200. its damn ridiculous. FI IS THE SHIT! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

I broke my BTL's in with 4000+ watts for ~30 minutes. Decent change in the feel of the suspension and the sound of the lower bass notes.

I could tell as they started to break in, since the coils started to rock a little too much and I had to raise the subsonic filter setting :)

these guys are right, just gotta play them hard like you would play them normally, dont baby a btl, it wants you to give it more power :)

We recommend to allow at least several weeks of playing time to break in AQ Woofers, full break in may take many months. DO NOT play subwoofers at max amplifier power in the first couple of days, give the suspensions a chance to loosen up. As the suspension breaks in, the subs will play lower and louder.

- AudioQue.

I know its AQ but this is their take on breaking in subs.

Goes to further show how jacked their marketing is. I surely don't want anything they make.

so a buddy of mine have been having this argument for a while. He just bought 3 18" BTL's and asked me how long should i break them in for and i told him no time, they will break in as you play them. just bang on them from the day you get them. and he doesnt believe me and he said well how about I bang on them like you say and if the suspension rips you pay for the recones? I said you got a deal, but i get to set the amps. lol. high subsonic filter, just above box tuning is what i will do. lol.

did i make a mistake saying that i will take the bet? would anyone else take this bet?

maybe if the owners of Fi chimed in with any results they have in the matter would make some people believe that it truly is a "myth", or that you really do need to "break" them in.

I wouldnt take the bet cause it is not that serious, if he is too scared to beat on some BTL's then he shouldnt of gotten them in the first place. If he wants to baby them then it is on him, which will take the suspension longer to unstiffen. So what is he gonna do baby them for how long (ask him that and see what he says)? If he is your friend then he would believe you and that would be the end of the subject, I would just let him do it how he wants and just laught at him cause I know they could be beating and moving way more than that.

I wouldnt take the bet cause it is not that serious, if he is too scared to beat on some BTL's then he shouldnt of gotten them in the first place. If he wants to baby them then it is on him, which will take the suspension longer to unstiffen. So what is he gonna do baby them for how long (ask him that and see what he says)? If he is your friend then he would believe you and that would be the end of the subject, I would just let him do it how he wants and just laught at him cause I know they could be beating and moving way more than that.

x2, what happens if your right also??? what do you win? :shrug:

Funny thing is the question is moot anyways. If you actually LISTEN to your driver it will tell you many, many things before it breaks. It isn't hard to know when to stop. Not needing to break-in is NOT an excuse to be a friggin idiot and blow your stuff up. Just note that whether you "broke it in" or not it is 100% completely your fault. The drivers parameters will change and stabilize after some use, but the changes will happen whether you want or not and making it happen slowly has absolutely no benefit in the process. The ONLY thing you need to do is start low and gradually turn things up, not at all to protect your sub based on its state as new, but to insure that you the operator didn't make any install boo-boo's that could cause it to fail *note again these would all be installer/operator error*.

Good thread, i was thinking the same thing about my 18" BTL which hasnt gone in yet.. but you guys make good points.. Keep your ear on the sub for any signs of stress but give it what it wants... lots of power :D

So ive had my speaker in since the 23. runnin off the aq2200. This speaker is ridiculous. Its the FI BTL 12. Tuned at 31htz. The lows are getting just ungodly. Like everyone says! Play the hell out of them

so i just got my BTL 12 and it seems to my eye anyways that the magnet is the same size as the basket, how hard was it to mount into the box? I will eventually find this out my self, but i figure why not ask...

The magnet is 11.25" so it will fit just fine.

i think the reason aq recommends a break in period on their subs is because the recommend tuning them so high. if u just go beating on them below tuning wont the spiders tear?

Break in is all marketing BS promoted by DD and the inbred cousin AQ. Common sense is the only thing you have to worry about.

Break in is all marketing BS promoted by DD and the inbred cousin AQ. Common sense is the only thing you have to worry about.

what do they gain by telling people to be gentle on their subs for a few weeks?