tripleb45

SMD Subs

Does anyone have the price for the 18" SMD subs and the name of the options if any? If there are options I would like to know the price of the sub fully loaded and shipped please thanks

Have you checked out the hummer that is puttin 6 of em in! also 40 6.5s and 16 10" mid bass.. pucking sick..

Does anyone have the price for the 18" SMD subs and the name of the options if any? If there are options I would like to know the price of the sub fully loaded and shipped please thanks

you can email SMD him self and find out the dealer information as to where to find them or order direct from him if there is no dealer near you.

yeah I have and it will be epic

Yeah, thats what just about every single person posted on his build log.

Just email an AA dealer, Brian is the dealer for the site.

An epic waste of money putting that many mids in there.

And time, and space....

Yes, overkill like a bitch.

I guess when you have that kind of money you have two choices: flush it down the toilet or spend excessively.

I want a BTL comparison (efficiency) and I want to see what a 15 or 18 can do in a car trunk on RMS in a really nice box. I know a small company needs big profit to stay alive (is SMD backed by AA?), but why are these subs over $1000, does it cost $700 for materials or is it $400 and a huge profit is made because of the name behind it? You can bet if it were a little more expensive than a BTL ($500-$600) it would take Fi's sales but that's not going to happen at $1000+. For most people using a higher-powered setup, price is the largest factor when buying a heavy duty sub and most skip to the BTL because she's reputable & cheap. If the SMD is like two BTL's in one than charge a little less than double the price for a BTL (BTL $400, SMD $700). Will they ever get cheaper?

Edited by RE XXXv3

but why are these subs over $1000,

Did you actually get a quote for one, or are you going by the MSRP that has been talked about?

Fi is AA i thought

there not the same company they just joined together, Fi is online based, and AA is dealer

An SMD couldn't be more different than a BTL or ANY other sub that is on the market.

You have NOOOOOOOOOOOO idea how much time it takes to build one of those things...you can build almost 10 BTL's in the amount of time it takes to do one of those subs...and for what it is it is and how much time and effort that has went into developing it...it is very cheap.

They will never get cheaper, nor will anything ever get cheaper as raw materials cost keeps going up and up and up. Compared to the other "manufacturers" that "build" products in the US we are the most cost effective..without a doubt. Mmats is getting almost 1200 bucks for a Juggernaut...and I'd put a Mayhem up against it all day every day no problem.

If you are looking for something that is truly unique..and nobody else can do...then the SMD is the route to go. It's simply a sick woofer that is truly machined and built by hand..in Las Vegas.

An SMD couldn't be more different than a BTL or ANY other sub that is on the market.

They will never get cheaper, nor will anything ever get cheaper as raw materials cost keeps going up and up and up. Compared to the other "manufacturers" that "build" products in the US we are the most cost effective..without a doubt.

Technology doesnt fly that fast, huh? The BTL is already out done?! I seriously doubt that as well.

Much cheaper than many, many companies for such a QUALITY product. Its hard to beat the price AND performance of a BTL! :drink40:

Still havn't seen a comparison.

If you have two BTL 15's and one SMD 15 and they have equal output at all frequencies in the same box, it's like having "two BTL's in one", obviously that and every other driver ever is "ssoooooo" different. Why would people be quoted differently? How is it possible that it takes 10x the time to build an SMD when there's not that much more material in it besides a double stacked motor? What's all this hand-built sales jargon? I'd rather let a precise robot build my stuff. "... and for what it is and how much time and effort that has went into developing it", that shouldn't be the customers concearn. The price should drop once the loans are paid. If the raw material cost is going up than it's going to rise, but how much? Why would anyone buy a juggernaut now?

Still havn't seen a comparison.

If you have two BTL 15's and one SMD 15 and they have equal output at all frequencies in the same box, it's like having "two BTL's in one", obviously that and every other driver ever is "ssoooooo" different. Why would people be quoted differently? How is it possible that it takes 10x the time to build an SMD when there's not that much more material in it besides a double stacked motor? What's all this hand-built sales jargon? I'd rather let a precise robot build my stuff. "... and for what it is and how much time and effort that has went into developing it", that shouldn't be the customers concearn. The price should drop once the loans are paid. If the raw material cost is going up than it's going to rise, but how much? Why would anyone buy a juggernaut now?

The answer to your question is..I can't tell you which one will be louder. I will tell you which one will be louder the day that you give me the winning lottery numbers to every single state lottery in the United States....point is that's a crap shoot. In acoustics nothing is constant...you may have a wicked impedance rise and be down 3dB with the SMD's...but have 1/3 of the power that you had to the BTL's. So in all reality it is..louder? You can't drop a top fuel drag motor into a Hyundai and expect it to hook the stock p185 tires the same as the stock motor in the Hyundai did...can you? So that means that things have to change..right?

It takes 6 times as much time on the CNC to do 1 motor then it does a BTL. (You cannot run low carbon gummy steel fast on a CNC, it will burn carbide bits up like they are nothing. You also have 3 times as much material there to run through) 1 pole takes 26 minutes to run in the CNC alone...that's not a finished part either..that's just 1 piece unfinished.

It takes 3 times as much time to prepare all of the parts for assembly.

The SMD motor assembly has FOUR drill presses of its own...that is only used for the SMD's...nothing else.

Then you have to cut all of the aluminum stock and machine that down to the sizes that it needs to be...then you have to drill and tap all of the holes...

It takes an average of an hour to assemble the motor assembly itself, it also then takes about an hour to assemble the soft part assembly...and we're not even getting into allocating the tooling die cost of the parts that we tooled for it..and the depreciation of it over time.

Time is money, you have to pay somebody to work..because nobody works for free. If you want something that is assembled by a robot then go for it..i'll put what we build up against it all day every day. We don't run on "loans"..many business do, and is very risky and is why many businesses are failing now. So you can throw that argument out as to why a price should drop because we have nothing to 'pay off'. We purchase our raw materials..prices are not going to drop on anything. As the price of steel goes up it directly effects what we buy as raw materials...you'll see it everywhere in due time.

Regardless, what you do not understand is how time consuming the process is to build those things. I can build a 3 stack motored sub in about 30 minutes from raw parts to compete finished product...

The pole piece of an SMD is barely done running on the CNC by the time i'm done with a 3 stack 'normal' motored sub.

Get it? It's the difference in actually doing something..versus ordering pre-assembled motors from overseas and dropping shoddy soft parts in them. If you want a Hyundai..then buy a Hyundai.

The difference in this is that is equivalent in time of a Ferrari to build..as they build every single part..by hand..in Italy. No, before you go there I'm not claiming that we build every single part in house either...regardless i'm trying to make you see that this takes a lot of TIME to build. Which when you go to order a Ferrari is why it takes you a year to get one from the day that you order it ( if memory serves me correctly from reading years ago )

Time is money...if you want to play..then you gotta pay.

There are plenty of "Hyundai's" on CrApCO. :smileyR::tehe:

At minimum there is a dealer network that also has to make money on the drivers as well as the buildhouse (Fi), AA as a company (I'm assuming AA operates as a separate company, but I don't really know), and probably some $ goes to SMD for having his name on the product.....unlike Fi which only has to make enough profit for themselves.

The red probably isn't true.

RE XXXv3,

I don't think you understand what goes into a product as a subwoofer ,especially a total new design like the SMD sub.

The SMD sub isn't just 2 motor's bolted onto each other.

That's what I wanted to know, that should be in the product info so the buyer knows it's high quality.

At minimum there is a dealer network that also has to make money on the drivers as well as the buildhouse (Fi), AA as a company (I'm assuming AA operates as a separate company, but I don't really know), and probably some $ goes to SMD for having his name on the product.....unlike Fi which only has to make enough profit for themselves.

The red probably isn't true.

I would be surprised if he wasn't gaining financially from having his name on a product. It's possible he's not, but it would surprise me.

Regardless, remove him from the chain and there's still more mark-up requirements than there is with a Fi product.