azbbccamaro

what sub to buy?

ok so i know this is probobly a dumb question but i have to ask. what is the best series of sub to buy for a daily bad ass bass machine? to fill it in for you here we go...... i have a 86 bmw 325E a friend and i did everything ti this car as a team effort. it has two mephis 5 1/4 on a 2 channle ads, 2 orion 6x9's on a orion 225 and (had) 2 soundstream t4's 15's in a 10 cubic foot box, round ported, tuned for 35 hrtz. the car has two huge glass matte batterys and a 320amp alt on it. now the subs were driven bt a orion d1200...... obviosly way under driven, but it purduced 130 dbs on a normal song ( blur berry yum yum by ludacris). so the one sub re burnt the voice coil and i said enough and sold the other sub and shit caned the burt one..... it was fixed twice...once by me and one when i bought it.... sence then i and my partner in crime have bought and trade for some realy bass ass amps that we know will do the power.... and now i am ready to settle down and buy the right set of subs... all of the bad ass boys on youtube seem to run FI so that is why i am here.... now i need pointed in the right direction... any help would be greaylt apreciated....thx :popcorn:

Goals? .... I'm gonna go on a limb and say Loud and Low!

Budget?

No such thing as under driven!

ok so goals are able to break the windows... and for them not to be a piece of shit. and yes you have me all figured out...loud and low.... 60 hrtz are for whimps! pretend there is no budget... besides i am going to have to save to get it anyways...... :shrug:

If there is no budget i would suggest 2 FI BTL 12's. (or fifteens if u can fit them)

Build a nice box for them.(2 12's=4.75cu ft before displacements with 70sq inches of port area.) ( with 2 15's= 8cu ft with 120 sq inches of port area.)

The 12's tuned to 34hertz and the 15's to 32 hertz.(with the 15's you should get louder and lower, but it's not always the case.)

Don't know how much power you will put on them, but 2 2500 amps would be nice.(and ofcourse the electrical to support it, 300amp alt + 3 batts atleast)

But you will probably don't break windows, but you will see them flexing like a ****.

No budget... you need a maxx, think of it as how long you want to be saving.

Top quality audio equipment: Revolution Design Audio

Incriminator Audio: No Chrome, No Carbon Fiber, No BS! Period (21" wardens)

Fi: (BTL 18")

Just some that came to mind real quick, remember.. its not only the Subs and Amps you are saving for!!!! Batteries and alternators ADD UP REAL QUICK!!!

EDIT: basing my answer off the reasoning you need good subs, i didn't read much further on size, electrical, power wanted, etc

Edited by BanginGMC

well i know all about the windows flexing....and amp wise i think would have that covered by eather the ppi 2600 or the massive amps that we have... no what about using a box that is just about 5cubic feet per sub? it has 5 inch ports and like i said is tuned to 32 hrtz.

Goodluck with blowing windows...

If you want to be as possible then build a wall!! LOL A couple of 18 inch xcons would be sick. I had a daily driver wall setup, it wasn't too unbearable, I just hated backing up.......

What model amp you plan on running? That ppi amp, isn't really gonna unlock the potential of a serious sub setup....just sayin, not enough power.....

Edited by mr.sagat

like i said the massive will do 4000 watts rms...a side... and the ppi is a 2150 with the 2600 power supplys and outputs.

OK maybe you dont have a budget... but how much space do you want to take up?

like i said the massive will do 4000 watts rms...a side... and the ppi is a 2150 with the 2600 power supplys and outputs.

Like you said? You never mentioned the size of your Massive, I had to assume the massive was small, since the ppi 2600 isn't really all that great by todays standards. AFAIK massive never had an amp that puts that puts out 8000 watts rms. I'm not trying to be a dick, I just don't want you to have unrealistic expectations of your system. Windows will probably never break and any current or past model of

Massive audio amps will not put out 8000 rms.

Edited by mr.sagat

sorry it is a massive d400x.... 4000 watts rms total and thats not the badest amp it is just the first name that came to mine form the pile. anyways the box i have is 10 cubic feet in a 86 bmw 325E 4 door.... the box couldnt be any bigger in the trunk it maxed out in every way. so hopefully i can use the box other wise i need another car.

Your not gonna break any windows...

It's just my opinion man, but with that kind of system in a car trunk, it's gonna be damn near impossible to get the car rattling out. If you build a wall like I suggested, you'd could run a lot bigger box with a lot bigger port that would be pressurizing a smaller section of the car. Car rattles from the trunk area, would be reduced greatly since there shouldn't be any pressure there. I couldn't see myself using 5,000 watts in a daily driver, let alone a trunk setup. If that is your amp and your charging system, then use it to it's full potential. If you can get 5k out of the amp, then your limiting factors are still your subs and box of the install. To take those out of the equation, build a wall and run subs that are low end monsters, and try to run a lot of cone area. 4 18's in a wall has always been something I wanted to do. If you look on youtube most of the guys doing hair tricks have either a wall or a ton of cone area, sometimes both.

If you just have to use a trunk setup, find a way to make a bandpass setup and have the port coming up the back dash. Those setups are sexy :)

If you get another car and it's based on loudness, get a van, station wagon or suv please :)

Edited by mr.sagat

the car hits 135dbs.... no offense but i am not into walls.... the car is a daily driver so i wall is out of the question as well as 18's..... more cone flex then i am looking for.....but back to the orginal topic what is the best 15 to buy???thx

was that box ported? if not you might try building a ported box for those 15s...u should be at least into the 140's with 2 decent 15s.

yes... it has two big 5 inch round ports thats one of the vids... and thanks devin you are the secong to sat btl's...

i have 2 two ideas for you first one is build a small wall in the back seat just dont cover the back window and use your trunk for air space...or the second i think it is called a fourth order box to keep your trunk from ratteling.for the sub id say get ia death penalty iv sat in a jimmy with 4 of them and i could not breath.

SPL BMW, there are no best!

Read a little more topics, look at the install pics, build logs,...

Then you will have more ideas of what you need.

I would suggest SSA Xcon, but BTL's are very loud (they play in another category, SSSSSSSSPL).

Take a look at the manufacturers sub-forums : ssa, incriminator audio, fi,...

You will come back with more questions,...maybe !

Wow a 135...

:No:

I have a friend pulling 141.6 with a single 12" AQ SDC2.5 on a 1200 watt Sony Xplod in a stock vehicle. It's sad that BM'er only scores a 135 with two 15's.

ok so it is looking like btls are the way to go..... and ass for your buddy there are alot of variables... car chape port size box tune... was a song played or a tune put threw it....where was the meter located at.... it can go on and on....but that is cool man, it goes to show that you dont always have to drop hard core coin to geet some monster bass... i give you friend props. :drink40: