BanginGMC

Sound Deadener Showdown

I want to take short time aside to thank Don and his company Sound Deadener Showdown for making great products. He was VERY helpful on telling me what i need and did not try to sell me more the what was necessary to make an extra buck, i recommend his company products to anybody that really wants a quite ride.

The products:

16 CLD Tiles

1 roll Extruded Butyl Rope

1 sheet 1/4" CCF

The CLD Tiles went on my doors real nicely, they were easy to cut and shape with scissors.. but not so much with a box cutter lol

The Extruded Butyl Rope can stretch FAAAAAAAAAAAAR as fuck! i took about a piece the size of my thumb and pulled it about 6-12 feet -- just for shits and giggles. The rope will NOT stick to ANYTHING with a dirty surface so make sure you have it clean!

The 1/4" CCF is VERY NICE foam!! Has a nice thick compact feel to it, i put a piece of foam against my mouth to see if any air passes through... nope, that shit had my cheeks about to explode haha

Overall i am very happy i picked this company for my baby! :D

Nice pick. Heard nothing but great things about the products and Don is VERY helpful to all that inquire. :drink40:

I want to take short time aside to thank Don and his company Sound Deadener Showdown for making great products. He was VERY helpful on telling me what i need and did not try to sell me more the what was necessary to make an extra buck, i recommend his company products to anybody that really wants a quite ride.

The products:

16 CLD Tiles

1 sheet 1/4" CCF

The CLD Tiles went on my doors real nicely, they were easy to cut and shape with scissors.. but not so much with a box cutter lol

The Extruded Butyl Rope can stretch FAAAAAAAAAAAAR as fuck! i took about a piece the size of my thumb and pulled it about 6-12 feet -- just for shits and giggles. The rope will NOT stick to ANYTHING with a dirty surface so make sure you have it clean!

The 1/4" CCF is VERY NICE foam!! Has a nice thick compact feel to it, i put a piece of foam against my mouth to see if any air passes through... nope, that shit had my cheeks about to explode haha

lol bored much?

i'm definitely going to go with SDS when i deaden my doors. thanks for the reassurance (like i need any... :P)

The products:

16 CLD Tiles

1 sheet 1/4" CCF

lol bored much?

i'm definitely going to go with SDS when i deaden my doors. thanks for the reassurance (like i need any... :P)

haha yeah pretty much

and welcome :fing34:

Just sent in my order, it should arrive on Monday :)

Don is really helpful and has great customer service.

If his products are anywhere near his customer service then they will be awesome!

I'm excited!!!!

How much of a difference are these products making?

Thank you

My dad is thinking about doing a full treatment in his Tundra soon. He just wants a nice quiet ride so I'm hoping to achieve that with a combination of 'em all.

My dad is thinking about doing a full treatment in his Tundra soon. He just wants a nice quiet ride so I'm hoping to achieve that with a combination of 'em all.

So does my dad. It will be a much quite ride w/ these products

90% of my customers are people who just want a quiet ride - it's definitely not just car audio guys. Pickups are the easiest vehicles to treat. Gut them and it's just a big cube, almost all flat surfaces. You can treat a pickup in 1/3 the time it takes to do a car or SUV.

:drink40:

I did my ENTIRE Ranger. It went from sounding like a roller coaster, to a Cadillac.

Hey don would it be best to use the ccf and MLV in combination?

Like the CCF on the plastic door panel and the MLV on top of the Outside metal door panel.

Hey don would it be best to use the ccf and MLV in combination?

Like the CCF on the plastic door panel and the MLV on top of the Outside metal door panel.

It's definitely best to use them in combination - you don't want the MLV to be in direct contact with the sheet metal. Use CCF to lift it off. It gets confusing because you'll see a lot of pretty outrageous claims made for CCF. Some people claim it blocks sound, others say it absorbs it. In reality, it does neither very well at all. You need to think of CCF as serving a mechanical and not an acoustical function: it keeps two things that would otherwise be in contact with each other apart. This can be MLV and sheet metal or a trim panel and sheet metal. It basically stops rattles and stops vibrations from being transmitted from one object to another. It's a gasketing material.

You need mass to block sound. That's where MLV comes in. CCF is much to light to block anything useful at all. You need thickness to absorb. CCF is a poor absorber of sound for the same reason it won't absorb water. Even if it were a great absorber, a 1/8" thick material will only absorb frequencies above the audible range. A 1/4" material will just barely get into the audible range. This is why it makes no sense to line the outer skin with CCF to "absorb the back wave" from door mounted speakers. Who has speakers in their doors producing frequencies >= 27 kHz? Even if you did, how much are you willing to do to absorb it. If you wanted to absorb something meaningful, say 500 Hz, you'd need an absorbent material that's 6 or 7 inches thick.

I've asked the people who claim CCF on the outer skin does wonders to explain how it does anything at all. They invariably say that they applied vibration damper to the outer skin, inner skin, trim panel and everything else they can reach. Then they applied a layer of CCF. After all of this, the speakers sound better, therefore the CCF did hat it was supposed to do :puzzled:

The only solution that makes any sense is to acoustically reinforce the inner skin. Doing that makes what is going on with the back wave much less important. This is one of the reasons I always hang MLV on the inner skin if I can, especially if there are speakers in the doors. Adding MLV to either the inner skin or outer skin will do a pretty good job of blocking exterior noise. Inner skin improves speaker performance. Outer skin makes it harder to hear the speakers outside the car.

Doors are one of the areas that frequently require us to make compromises - practical realities stop us from creating the theoretically ideal solution. For outer skin treatment I go Sheet Metal / CCF / MLV, using this technique. This requires sufficiently large access holes to get to the outer skin. The main practical reality to deal with when applying CCF and MLV to the inner skin is getting the trim panel back on. The ideal would be Sheet Metal / CCF / MLV / CCF / Trim Panel. In many cases, moving the MLV away from the sheet metal by even 1/8" will make it impossible to get the trim panel back on. For this reason, I usually hang the MLV directly on the inner skin and add a layer of CCF to the side facing the trim panel. WHen you reinstall the trim panel, the CCF compresses, the MLV is forced against the inner skin and it works out pretty well. Here's my usual door "recipe":

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clean the outer skin thoroughly. No matter how clean the rest of the vehicle is, the inside of the doors is likely to be filthy. I use denatured alcohol on a rag. Wipe it down until the rag comes out clean.

Start by pressing Extruded Butyl Rope (EBR) between the outer skin and the side impact protection beams. Leave gaps every few inches to allow water to drain. Cut some strips from a heavy plastic bag and press them into the top surface of the EBR to protect it from dirt.

Apply half the CLD Tiles allocated to the outer skin above and half below the side impact protection beam. Cut 2 more CLD Tiles into smaller pieces and apply them to the inner door skin.

Hang MLV on the inner door skin using Velcro Strips with pressure sensitive adhesive on both sides. The strips are 2"X4" but you can cut them in half for this application (most applications really). Start with 2 pieces in the top corners to hold the MLV in place while you trim it to fit. You want it to be as large as it can be - just barely fitting inside the trim panel when it is replaced. You will need to cut some holes in the MLV to allow cables, rods, shafts, wires, clips and the speakers to come through. You want these holes to be as small as possible. Every place we use MLV we are building a barrier and a barrier needs to be as large and contiguous as possible.

It helps during the fitting process to periodically remove the MLV from the door and lay it in the trim panel to test fit it. The Velcro makes this easy. When you first hang the MLV on the door, cut holes where the trim panel clips go into the door. You can then use these holes to orient the MLV inside the trim panel.

When you are satisfied with the MLV fit, add two more Velcro Strip pieces to the bottom corners. It's generally a good idea to add a third piece on top for added strength. Finally, use HH-66 Vinyl Cement to tack a layer of closed cell foam (CCF) on the side of the MLV facing the trim panel. When the trim panel is reinstalled, the CCF will compress slightly, getting rid of rattles and buzzes in the trim panel itself and between the trim panel and the inner door skin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll bet you're sorry you asked :D

got damn.

well now i know what to do

2 pieces of MLV and 4 pieces of ccf

1MLV in each door sandwiched betweeen 2 pieces of CCF .

Ill definantly will be buying from you man thanks

Aaron approved :)

Many of you know that other than an occasional blemished sheet of CCF, I don't usually offer B-Stock items. I just received a few pallets of CLD Tiles that are slightly too thin and instead of being cut square, are about 10° off. The adhesive is fine. The foil is fine. Just a little thin, like between normal and Dynamat thickness. I've received sub-par shipments before and have refused to accept them. They've ended up as landfill. These are too good to throw away. While they last, I'll be selling them, for $1.25, 40 at a time. 40 fit in a USPS Priority Flat Rate box that will ship anywhere in the US for $10.40. That means:

40 B-Stock CLD Tiles @ 1.25 = $50.00

Shipping: 10.70

Total: $60.70

As many boxes as you like.

I'd use these myself and will if any projects come along, I'd just use a couple more.

Just e-mail if you're interested: don@sounddeadenershowdown.com

Aaron approved :)

Many of you know that other than an occasional blemished sheet of CCF, I don't usually offer B-Stock items. I just received a few pallets of CLD Tiles that are slightly too thin and instead of being cut square, are about 10° off. The adhesive is fine. The foil is fine. Just a little thin, like between normal and Dynamat thickness. I've received sub-par shipments before and have refused to accept them. They've ended up as landfill. These are too good to throw away. While they last, I'll be selling them, for $1.25, 40 at a time. 40 fit in a USPS Priority Flat Rate box that will ship anywhere in the US for $10.40. That means:

40 B-Stock CLD Tiles @ 1.25 = $50.00

Shipping: 10.70

Total: $60.70

As many boxes as you like.

I'd use these myself and will if any projects come along, I'd just use a couple more.

Just e-mail if you're interested: don@sounddeadenershowdown.com

Great price on a graet product but how does it stack up against the might audio wrap?

ANT

Great price on a graet product but how does it stack up against the might audio wrap?

ANT

None of us have a chance against the mighty AudioWrap. Remember: "The Aluminum does enhance stereo and bass acoustics".

How many do you have? I should be sending you money tomorrow ;)

How many do you have? I should be sending you money tomorrow ;)

Thousands :D

Looks like a perfect time to buy some more, I'll be getting ahold of you ;)

ANT

None of us have a chance against the mighty AudioWrap. Remember: "The Aluminum does enhance stereo and bass acoustics".

I have the reply in my email but CACO deleted the thread before I could reply .. I loved it..

ANT

just placed an order.

thanks for all the help don- if your product is as good as your customer service- i know its got to be one of the best around

cant wait to try it out

just placed an order.

thanks for all the help don- if your product is as good as your customer service- i know its got to be one of the best around

cant wait to try it out

My pleasure - better change the shipping address to South Cackalacky :D

good stuff- got the doors done- used almost 3/4 of the box sent usps of the cld on all the doors- got a little trimming left- the mid bass went from ehh- to dam i didnt know these had that in them-- i was opening everything up i was like where the hell is the velcro and cement about 30 mins later i went :Doh:

thanks for the great product again