BanginGMC

Truck off, head unit off, amp on...

:puzzled: so... i'm sitting in my house for hours, its getting late so i open my garage and too pull my truck in and i notice my amp was still on.. but there was no key in the ignition or anything.. so i'm like what the fuck? i pop my key in and click it over.. head unit doesn't turn on but my amp is still on.. so i pop my hood and unhook my neg on my batt, amp stays on, unhook the pos, amp goes off. Why did this happen?

is the amp still working other wise?

what amp?

is the remote hooked up from the hu?

is there any stray strands of wire accidental hitting the remote?

is the amp still working other wise? Well i heard distortion coming from my speakers

what amp? PDX 4.100

is the remote hooked up from the hu? Yes, the remote wire on my headunit is bad so a friend on here suggested to wiring it in with the power wire with the head unit so when the head unit turns on the amp will as well.

is there any stray strands of wire accidental hitting the remote? by the amp.. let me check.. nope all clean

Did you happen to use a constant? Was it the HU amp wire, or one from the fuses? Well man GL with it!! To bad i wont have this truck much longer you could come out and take a look at it, maybe even give me a hand with the box!! Handling full sheets of 3/4 MDF are heavy!! :D

Did you happen to use a constant? Was it the HU amp wire, or one from the fuses? Well man GL with it!! To bad i wont have this truck much longer you could come out and take a look at it, maybe even give me a hand with the box!! Handling full sheets of 3/4 MDF are heavy!! :D

I did not use the constant... made sure i didnt do that mistake, this is the first time this happened. I unhooked the butt connector then twisted the power n remote wire together and then used a new butt connector and connected it back to the same wire as before, ignition wire i believe.. isnt that the non constant one?

I'll give you a hand if you help me on this! :P

I did not use the constant... made sure i didnt do that mistake, this is the first time this happened. I unhooked the butt connector then twisted the power n remote wire together and then used a new butt connector and connected it back to the same wire as before, ignition wire i believe.. isnt that the non constant one?

I'll give you a hand if you help me on this! :P

that sounds fine, next step might be to try the amp in another vehicle

What results are we trying to get if i hook it up in another truck? I am going to hook my batt up again and see if the prob happens again.. maybe it was a freak thing? :peepwall:

So, i hooked my batt up and my amp turned on the second it was connected... i need a new place for my remote wire, dont i? i find it strange that it just started doing this...

When I was using my Memphis amp, the power LED would stay lit when the truck was off, and I know I was using the correct wiring. The thing is though, there was little or no power draw from it, battery never went dead after letting the truck sit for days. I'm thinking it might have just been the LED for some reason, but I never experienced any ill effects from it.

May have been a short inside the amplifier.

Try hooking it up to somebody else's car.

Remove the amp and hook it up directly to the battery just to the amps +/-. Does it turn on? If it doesn't then jump a wire from the + to the rem. Does it now turn on?

That will tell you if it's the amp or in your wiring.

May have been a short inside the amplifier.

Try hooking it up to somebody else's car.

Why would a short cause it to stay on? i can hook it up in my dodge dakota but there is no speakers that are able to connect to it.

Do you think its a possibility its broke?

Remove the amp and hook it up directly to the battery just to the amps +/-. Does it turn on? If it doesn't then jump a wire from the + to the rem. Does it now turn on?

That will tell you if it's the amp or in your wiring.

This is going to require me taking my power and ground from underneath my carpet and unbolting my ground? :suicide-santa:

I dont understand what you mean by "If it doesn't then jump a wire from the + to the rem."

okay i hooked the amp up to my batt and it didnt turn on then i jumped a wire from the pos to the rem and it turned on.

easy question-

What color is the wire that you used that is spliced with the remote wire?

It suppose to be RED. If u spliced it with the yellow wire... then there's your problem.

easy question-

It suppose to be RED. If u spliced it with the yellow wire... then there's your problem.

I am almost positive that i didn't connect it to the constant, it wouldn't make sense.. i connected the wires about roughly a week ago and last night is the first time this happened, if i connected it to the constant wouldn't the amp be on alllllll the time.

But i am unscrewing everything as i type, we will see.

easy question-

I am almost positive that i didn't connect it to the constant, it wouldn't make sense.. i connected the wires about roughly a week ago and last night is the first time this happened, if i connected it to the constant wouldn't the amp be on alllllll the time.

Try taking the "remote"' wire out the amp. That will answer ALL questions.

The color of the wire coming from the H/Us harness which i spliced into is RED -- going into the trucks wiring (harness cut out) is YELLOW.

The YELLOW wire coming from the H/Us harness which i didn't splice into is -- going to a direct speaker wire from the batt.

easy question-

What results should i get?

easy question-

What results should i get?

Amp should turn off since it has no signal.....

hmm... measure voltage across that red wire when the car is off. see if u get a reading.

I bet you used the "clock wire" (usually yellow) as the remote instead of the acc. wire. ?????

The remote should only come off the wire on the H/U - nothing else....

Most H/U it's either a blue wire or blue with white stripe.

Sometimes marked "power ant." or "acc."

lol, i'm waitin for this answer

Me too

The remote wire is like a switch that once a 12v current flows to the terminal the amp kicks on.

The remote is getting constant battery power instead of a switched/ interrupted power source.