jrod1050

Do active head units have subsonic filters?

I'm wondering will a active head unit solve my problem. I have a jbl gto 1201.1 II and it doesnt have a subsonic filter. I probably going to get a Alpine 9887.

I know they have low and high pass filters for mids and highs but im not sure about the subwoofer controls

Most DO NOT have a SSF. I have yet to see one that does, but I only pay attention to 3 brands of HU companies, so that's not to say that some might.

Not if you need to use the active filters as well. Most will only bandpass the MB or "rear" outputs. They will usually have a limitation for how low they can go in frequency and for what frequencies. I would guess you'd have a 31.5 and a 40Hz HP on the midbass channel (which could be used for the sub) and then just use the tweeter HP for the mids. Better check the levels for the tweet that it will HP low enough (ie 60/80/100Hz or whatever).

So really, the answer is no it would be far from ideal to use it for that but potentially if your needs were simple it is possible. I am not sure on the 9887 as I haven't owned a BEP Alpine in 10 years, but definitely not on the Pio or Eclipse units.

My Pioneer DEH 5250SD has a sub output on the rear left channel which can be turned on or off, doesn't include a SSF though. LP cutoffs on the sub output are 60 80 100 and 125 Hz, it also includes a 5 channel custom EQ and a HP filter but it isn't adjustable. i think that's about as much tuning that you're going to get from a HU, but maybe there's something out there with a SSF.

Not that i've seen...you've gotta go external to get a decent subsonic filter.

Ok. appreciate the help guys ill either go with an external crossover or try one of the FMods

DON'T buy an Fmod, they are not the right solution.

whats wrong with a fmod?

whats wrong with a fmod?

X2 ///M5. I'm sure you have a good reason for staying away from them. also can anybody recommend a half way decent external crossover. I really just need a high pass crossover because the amp im using already has a low pass on it

They take ONE electronic component, put it in a housing, and sell it for 10-100x what that component costs. Nothing hard about just buying said component instead.

Better to buy something with an adjustable SSF filter. FMODS are usually fixed and just not worth it!

They take ONE electronic component, put it in a housing, and sell it for 10-100x what that component costs. Nothing hard about just buying said component instead.

i just figured it be more cost effective for me since my amp has a fixed sub sonic filter at 15 hz. They have a f-mod that cut's off everything below 30hz and my box is tuned to 33hz so I thought it'd be perfect. Compared to buying another amp period

i just figured it be more cost effective for me since my amp has a fixed sub sonic filter at 15 hz. They have a f-mod that cut's off everything below 30hz and my box is tuned to 33hz so I thought it'd be perfect. Compared to buying another amp period

If that is all you can get for now until you can get a better external SSF or an amp with a variable SSF then go for it, just my .02

whats wrong with a fmod?

X2 ///M5. I'm sure you have a good reason for staying away from them. also can anybody recommend a half way decent external crossover. I really just need a high pass crossover because the amp im using already has a low pass on it

Try Alpine.

If that is all you can get for now until you can get a better external SSF or an amp with a variable SSF then go for it, just my .02

you mean something like this? PFMOD HP-Sub

or something else? which i dont know what that could be...