shadowm891

4" midbass drivers

hello everyone i was wondering if any of you may know of any good sites online that sell just the mid bass drivers in 4 " i have a nice pair of tweeters up front but i wanna change my door speakers that came with the car to some mid bass drivers. it seems the car came with component set speakers stock but who ever own the car before took them out and replace the door speakers with 2 way speakers and upgrade the tweeters and i would like something with a lil bass in my car so it wont be so flat.

check out www.madisound.com

here's one Eton 4-200/A8 Symphony, 4" Mid/Bass with Aluminum Former from Madisound

the mid-bass ones aren't their own section so you gotta search a little bit to find them. Don't expect a whole lot of midbass from a 4" though...

Any reference or neosym woofers from Dayton audio at Parts express

Midbass from a 4" driver is not going to happen.

Think bigger.

how would i beable to go bigger if my car only take's 4 inch on the door's

Think bigger.

how would i be able to go bigger if my car only take's 4 inch on the door's

You fabricate things so it fits.

That's what 99% of the forum does. Making stock into something completely new.

Think bigger.

how would i be able to go bigger if my car only take's 4 inch on the door's

You fabricate things so it fits.

That's what 99% of the forum does. Making stock into something completely new.

ah so like making the holes bigger in the door's and such

Midbasses don't work with tweeters unless you have a midrange...

i see well if u don't mind me asking what are midrange speakers still little new to the speaker system stuff

could you possibly go into more depth with this. Cause i was really fixed on a 2 way active set up and i didnt want to cut anymore into my door panels

For a nice 2 way you could look in to the mli65.

mach 5 audio?

For a nice 2 way you could look in to the mli65.

mach 5 audio?

Yup!

their sold out

Think bigger.

Sure it can. It may not be as loud as a 6.5 or 8" woofer, but cone size does NOT dictate frequency ability.

Think bigger.

Sure it can. It may not be as loud as a 6.5 or 8" woofer, but cone size does NOT dictate frequency ability.

Cone size (and/or displacement) does dictate realistic frequency limitations and usable bandwidth capabilities.

Sure you can get a 4" driver, or a tweeter for that matter, to physically play a 100hz tone....but it would not be logical to expect great midbass performance from a 4" driver because the limited displacement is going to greatly restrict the output capabilities to the point of rendering them virtually useless at that frequency unless 1) you don't plan to listen to them at reasonable levels, 2) you enjoy excessive amounts of distortion, or 3) you plan on using multiple drivers per channel. Even with a "long throw" 4" driver like the underhung TB linked above, the driver is going to be restricted to ~91db of linear output at 100hz. That's with the driver operating at Xmax which is generally going to put the distortion somewhere in the vicinity of 10%. At 80hz it's restricted to ~88db. At 60hz, ~83db.

On the opposite end of the frequency spectrum, cone diameter is going to directly affect off-axis response as frequency increases. In addition, generally larger cones are going to experience break-up at a lower frequency than a comparable smaller diameter cone which is also going to restrict usable bandwidth.

There are certainly "good ideas" and "bad ideas" in regards to frequency bandwidth that is directly attributable to cone diamater/driver displacement. Using a 4" driver as a midbass would fall in the latter category unless we are discussing extremely unorthodox arrangements/alignments. Your argument would hold some water if we were discussing "woofer speed" or the like, but it misses the mark in this discussion.

could you possibly go into more depth with this. Cause i was really fixed on a 2 way active set up and i didnt want to cut anymore into my door panels

I believe his point was that "midbass" is a frequency range that, though opinions differ, is generally going to be considered frequencies below ~500hz or so. Given no tweeter is going to realistically play that low, he'll need a speaker that also covers the "midrange" frequencies.

More or less, he was just telling him that he used the word, as "midbass" doesn't completely encompass his needs. And yes, it can be an important distinction because a driver that excels in the "midbass" frequencies may not necessarily do well in the "midrange" frequencies.