Nikuk

SS-S Demo Ring

:WELCOME:

I thought it'd be a good idea to create a central thread for the plans that we are making for the demo driver. Something that we can reference during and post-testing, something that we can reference for the many reviews to come.

I 'll have to get Kent in here soon, as He'll have hands on it next week.

As I'd told Mike, I should have plenty of power and space availible in-car, errr esuvee. I'll test mostly in car, as that's easiest for me (where the equipment supports it), though I may still try it in home (if I can source an amp by then).

Insofar, for power I'm working with a pair of Orion 1200D's strapped. Nominal power of 2400wrms @ 2ohm. I don't have any plans to use any more power then that, as tempting as the topology is, I will NOT try this driver for any SPL. Well, not THIS particular woofer. :)

As far as enclosures, I'm thinking of a few:

2.0 sealed with & w/o polyfill (50%)

4.0 sealed with & w/o polyfill (50%)

6.0 sealed w/no polyfill

2.0 ported 32 & 38

3.0 ported 32 & 38

4.0 ported 25, 32, & 38

6.0 ported 20, 28, & 36

and possibly the 9.0 ported 20hz

Obviously, I'll be converting most boxes into one another (sealing the ported's, "shrinking" the bigger's, and whatnot) so I hope to get at least 1 hour with each alignment. Try out 3 or 4 aday.

-Nick

Well, I will have a Visonik V900HC which does a rated 750x2 @ 4 Ohms. So I am hoping for a solid 1200 - 1500 RMS @ 3.5 nominal.

December is a ways off, so assuming I will have the time to build enclosures I would like to have....

3 NET @ 33hz

5 NET @ 30hz

2.5 Sealed - No Polyfill

3 Sealed - No Polyfill

3.5 Sealed - No Polyfill

Only setups I would be interested in running - so these I will test!!

My plans are pretty simple. Right now only really planning in a 2-3cuft sealed enclosure. If I get creative I may fab up a box that's, say, 5cuft gross with an adjustable inner wall so the final net volume can be adjusted at will.....guess it depends on how much time I have on my hands.

Also going to be powering it initially with my SS Rubicon 702....which is capable of giving 800-900w @ 2-4ohm bridged. Wanted to test 'er out in a relatively low power application see how she does. Also have access to a larger amp if necessary though.

I'll have a strapped pair of modded 1501d's at disposal. I'll prolly through it in what boxes I already have, 2.3 cubes @32hz, 2.6 cubes @32hz, and maybe make up a 3 cubes sealed box...

NG

im looking at doing some non-optimal boxes (smaller) to proove this sub is not for the small install.

looking at 1cube, 2cube, and 3cubes all sealed. and possibly a 3 cube tuned low, and high (just for kicks)

i should have 800~1kw on tap, relativly low power, if this had of happend last month, id of had a viper2500d to slap on this sucker (as i was going to order an RLS, but i just dont have the $$ anymore)

and each box will go on the TL and if the rest of the install is up to snuff, (crossover is back and everything is installed) ill to some SQ testing to see how this compairs.

but it should be quite fun i reckon.

damn 3.5ohm VC! i'll have ~800w to it. since i forgot all about the demo and i get an email saing expect the driver in a week or two. i'm not gonna have alot of money to be building a bunch of different boxes for it. i'll be using my current box for my 15's. i'm gonna slug it for 5ft @ 25Hz. and then do 6ft sealed. i'm gonna try to talk my friend into letting me borrow his amp that does ~1500 @ 4ohm:) i'm just glad he mailed me when he did...this weekend i was ripping everything out and walling it off, and would of had no room for the 12.

i'm here!!

plans are...

power...a touch over 1200wrms from an orion 2500d, and a touch over 350wrms from her hifonics nemesis...

boxes.....2.5ft^3 tuned to 28hz, 2ft^3 tuned to 34hz to start. will probably throw it in the 1.25ish prefabbeb sealed box i use for testing, just for giggles. will probably convert the ported box to sealed to test it in 2 and 2.5ft^3 .

vehicle...same as nicks, Trailblazer, if i can get it wired..lol. the truck is taken up by a monster and i don't really feel like removing it, by will if i have too.

meter..will definitely get termlabbed....

will shoot for at least a day in each alignment.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Will you guys (all of you) please post up reviews or at least impressions.

Hmm is the demo ring still open cause It looks like I'm one of the only people who could throw over 2000rms to it. hmm Anyways these sound like they are going to be some serious ground pounders. :)

u know we will!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

thats the idea of this thread :)

The only reason I brought it up is because I swear it seemed as though there was supposed to be a 100 SI reviews and there were like 2 (these are not actual numbers, I just used them for effect).

Okay make that 3, I just saw ollies post.

BTW Squeak, Ray, Nik, someone....could one of you add an AP and maybe a Mickey Mouse IB setup (as in not super hardcore sealed front/back) with the LMT. I am very, very interested in these alignments.

I want to go sealed, was thinking of trying my RL-p box, but I want to go sealed to get the most SQ out of this thing,

thinking 2.75 or larger sealed

psycho, I won't run an AP enclosure because I dont have a ton of experiance with them... and this isnt my driver. sorry

psycho, I won't run an AP enclosure because I dont have a ton of experiance with them... and this isnt my driver. sorry

Ahh, you make a good point, I didn't really consider that something bad could happen to the driver if something goes wrong. I don't even know how likely it is to happen. So I guess first thing sould be

HEY MIKE!!

if someone were to volunteer their skills and know how to do an AP or IB setup, would it be okay with you or would you rather not. Again I don't know how fragile a woofer is in these setups but I am hoping you know. If not can someone chime in.

Okay so if Mike gives the okay would one of you guys be willing?

If someone in the demo-ring who has experience with either of these alignments, has the inclination to try it out with the RL-s.. by all means. It should go without saying that one should start with low power and gradually move their way up, but I don't see why someone shouldn't try it out! thumbup.gif

IB? are u kidding?? lol....i don't have a trunk...hehe..

as to AP, i have no experience...and as of right now, no time for building. i wish i did, that sounds like a plan..but between work and helping a competitor friend trying to find a 156, i'm just a tad overworked (gotta throw in the boy's football team as well)

anyway, i wish i could help....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

If the 15 goes out, it would be unreal to see what the 9.0 cubes box would do with about 2k watts on it

BTW Squeak, Ray, Nik, someone....could one of you add an AP and maybe a Mickey Mouse IB setup (as in not super hardcore sealed front/back) with the LMT. I am very, very interested in these alignments.

I was just thinking about this the other day.

I just may toss 'er in IB.....I'm not entirely sure yet. But if I get the time to set it up I will.

Plus IB would work better with my limited power.

I don't know....we'll see

im looking at doing some non-optimal boxes (smaller) to proove this sub is not for the small install.

looking at 1cube, 2cube, and 3cubes all sealed. and possibly a 3 cube tuned low, and high (just for kicks)

but it should be quite fun i reckon.

When are you scheduled to receive the demo? I am curious about how it performs in small sealed boxes.

Mike could you possibily give an approximate location/date of the ring?

Yea no problem denim - I'll post an estimated time table for the demo-ring tomorrow. Came down with a cold last night, and coupled with the smoke from all these wildfires (one of which is within a mile of my home), I'm just taking it easy tonight.

I'll get it up soon though :coffee:

Yea no problem denim - I'll post an estimated time table for the demo-ring tomorrow.  Came down with a cold last night, and coupled with the smoke from all these wildfires (one of which is within a mile of my home), I'm just taking it easy tonight. 

I'll get it up soon though  :coffee:

hey no rush man, if I were you I would stay up and camp out back with my water on and my garden hose in my hand ready to spray to defend my turf

get well and be safe

Dont burn on us mike !!!!

They arent to far from me either, got a bit of ash in the sky here

Ah, it's not so bad. I have at least 10 blocks of residential housing between myself and the base of the mountain that the fire is consuming. It would be a miracle if it made it all the way to my place, as it would have to cross over a thick 4-lane (with parking on both sides) boulevard to do so. Sucks for those that are losin' their houses though sad.gif

The smoke made for a killer sunset.. if I get a chance I'll throw up some pic's in the off-topic section or something sun.gif