sundownz

You guys know I can't just work on one...

... Neo-8 -- here is the other design I'm trying... more traditional over-hung design.

Will be testing head to head with the XBL^2 unit when it is ready.

Sneak peak as this prototype has been fully assembled at the factory :

Neo81.jpg

Neo82.jpg

I would use a different frame if this were to be produced as the spider on this sample is not going to handle the throw I want.

I'm trying out several ideas for the Neo 8... this one is TOTALLY different from the other one... this one is overhung, huge motor, solid core, 2.5" coil, giant shorting ring, etc.

The other is XBL^2, compact motor, vented core, 3" coil, smaller shorting rings, etc.

sexy, can we get a cone shot and does this use the cone that you are tooling for this woofer or is it not done yet?

This one uses a traditional paper cone... it's more of a test bed for ideas. May never even make it :)

But it's cool enough that I wanted to share pictures.

Yikes, steel billet by the truck load. :P

Jake the mad scientist at it again!

Love the ideas rolling through the Sundown laboratory!

that makes me happy in pants!...tuned in for test vids

Any Chance I Could Order 5 of these as a custom order if they never make it to production?

With the final spider on them and dustcaps

Jake... you make me want to live right next door to you just to see the things you come up with!

Sample is here -- needs more work before testing is to begin -- but here are some pictures next to an SA-8 :

CIMG4134.JPG

CIMG4135.JPG

I may have to make the motor a LITTLE smaller too -- it's a huge battle to mount it with speaker wires *laughs*

any idea what the price is looking like on 1 of these mini monsters? if you decide to end up selling that prototype i call dibs just to mount it inverted.lol. just to see the looks it would get. lol even if it dont work ill still buy it just because i love monster 8's more then any other size woofer

ohh yea forgot to say GOOD JOB JACOB! looks killer

Edited by aimone

I do not know if it will be made so I have not estimated pricing. Nor do I know if the design is even done -- just sharing photos of stuff I'm working on at this point.

Going to do some more work on this as it is then have another one made with more magnet slugs on it.

Going to do some more work on this as it is then have another one made with more magnet slugs on it.

:fapfapfap:

Saw this IRL today and it is definitely the most unique motor structure I have ever seen. It sucks that I didn't see it get to play or anything though...

What's up with the ginormous backplate? Just from looking at the pictures it doesn't look like it needs all of that simply for rearward clearances.......is the large backplate required to carry the full magnetic flux of the motor without oversaturating?

This looks like some hideous mutated version of say, Jackie Chan if he was 2ft tall! I love this thing! It's like a super angry leprechaun with a machine gun, it's like if you put a 5.0 in a go-cart, its.... Oh to hell with it, gimmie one! :drink40:

What's up with the ginormous backplate? Just from looking at the pictures it doesn't look like it needs all of that simply for rearward clearances.......is the large backplate required to carry the full magnetic flux of the motor without oversaturating?

The "back plate" part is 25mm thick -- and is needed for the amount of flux intended for the design.

35mm of the plate is cut out for clearance which leaves a good bit of room so I can use a range of coil lengths. With a 50mm long coil I have 37.5mm of clearance remaining, for example.

I didn't want to have a multi-piece assembly so I had it all milled out from a solid chunk of steel... back plate and pole are all one piece.

The "back plate" part is 25mm thick -- and is needed for the amount of flux intended for the design.

35mm of the plate is cut out for clearance which leaves a good bit of room so I can use a range of coil lengths. With a 50mm long coil I have 37.5mm of clearance remaining, for example.

I didn't want to have a multi-piece assembly so I had it all milled out from a solid chunk of steel... back plate and pole are all one piece.

Cool beans.

I was just curious......looked like a whole lot of steel back there :)

Normally I would ask why, but with the bass head types, I just say KOO!

neo magnets are have a stronger magnetic pull from what i've read up on it

Whats so special about Neo?

He is THE ONE. . . .