I just got a box design confirmed by a few of my friends that it will work.. Now I do not have the space for it (doh). It is literally a few inches too big to fit in my trunk. Pretty much it is a 4 cuFt box tuned to 30hz using two removable aeroports. One removed keeps the tuning at 30hz, two in makes the tuning 44hz for comps. Now my question is what if I use pvc piping (I heard its not as loud because its not flared) and instead of having it come straight out, make a 90 degree angle as soon as it leaves the box... Anybody know what this would do for tuning? Or how to figure out with a box calculator what it may do?

i think the no flare=no loud rumour is :bull: a port is a port. aeroports do however reduce port noise greatly. personaly i would go and get aeros for low port noise, but just strait pvc works great. there realy isnt much of a diference between aeros and pvc but port noise.

i think the no flare=no loud rumour is :bull: a port is a port. aeroports do however reduce port noise greatly. personaly i would go and get aeros for low port noise, but just strait pvc works great. there realy isnt much of a diference between aeros and pvc but port noise.

Alright. Have any idea about the 90 degree angle? Im thinking it wont hurt the tuning that much.

Edited by Hell-Razor

aeroports allow you to use slightly less port area because of the flare, typically when you use less port, you get "scuffing" or port noise.

aeroports allow you to use slightly less port area because of the flare, typically when you use less port, you get "scuffing" or port noise.

actually 30-50% less!

Well the port im using is 10.5 inches in diameter... i think thats a pretty big pipe... now two of those for tuning higher and thats a REALLY big pipe

Alright. Have any idea about the 90 degree angle? Im thinking it wont hurt the tuning that much.

you measure the length of the port down the center. measuring that on a curve is easy to do with a string

but with a 10.5" diameter pipe im not sure if you are gonna be using an elbow or just cutting and fitting the pipe. last time i priced fittings for large diameter pipe the price was pretty outlandish.

I just realized that I need to go 6 inches outside the box. And if I were going to bend the pipe (10.5 inches) using an elbow I would actually take up more room.. Well sob. This box may not work after all...

i think the no flare=no loud rumour is :bull: a port is a port.

do some tests... come back and let us know if you still think the same ;)

i think the no flare=no loud rumour is :bull: a port is a port.

do some tests... come back and let us know if you still think the same ;)

I'll do some testing next week and post the results :)

I switched to 6 inch aero ports from a slotted port when I started in competition a couple months ago. I was stuck at 141 dB at the headrest with the slot. I made another box with the same volume but with dual aero ports. Both ends are flared. I have a middle section that I remove for competition at 44 Hz and the daily is 32Hz. I gained a dB by going to the aeroports. I don't know if making a bend in the ports would have any effect.

for daily it doesnt matter..

for comp- besides trial n error in tuning it right, Aeros should ALWAYS be external, no bend and flared for best results.

For even better results, if you have the room, the internal flare that mounts flush with the internal wall should be about 2x the flared diameter of the external flare so you would have to make that yourself.

for daily it doesnt matter..

for comp- besides trial n error in tuning it right, Aeros should ALWAYS be external, no bend and flared for best results.

For even better results, if you have the room, the internal flare that mounts flush with the internal wall should be about 2x the flared diameter of the external flare so you would have to make that yourself.

can i get some more explantion on this?? maybe a picture as to what you are referring to?

i have no pics to show you.. it was tested by Harmon Kardon in an article they did a while back when testing various port types and flares to get best results from them.

quel fromage

i have no pics to show you.. it was tested by Harmon Kardon in an article they did a while back when testing various port types and flares to get best results from them.

Lord, do you EVER think or just e-gurgitate crap you've read somewhere.