mikeb890

How loud can I go?

Alright so when I get out of college soon i plan on buying a Mitsubishi Evo as I am completely in love with them lol. Ive got an Fi BL 15 now and it just doesn't do it for me, not loud enough at all. I would love to have a ridiculously loud setup for the next car, and was considering an SUV so I can go even louder, but hate driving them. What is the loudest setup I can put in a car without walling it off and without worrying about the windshield cracking on me? Would love to stick with Fi and upgrade to btl's. Would one Fi btl 18 be too much, or two btl 15's? How many watts roughly until i have to worry about the windshield?

Without a wall I doubt you will be able to fit the proper size enclosures for an 18 or 2 15's. What will your electrical consist of? How loud you will be is going to be almost entirely dependent on your install. Need more details.

Sorry man but this post is unrealistic. The numbers you are wanting to have are not just from a set formula. Windshield flex does not depend on power, it will depend on box build and tuning and many many other things. And when you say is the 18 too much? Too much for what? To big, or you think that one 18 might affect your windshield?? It will all depend on the size of the trunk and what kind of box you build. So i would say just build then find out!!

You could try doing two 12" btls sealed from the trunk facing forward. This way the back wave is completely isolated from the front wave, so there is no cancellation (for the most part). That's more surface area than a 15, with a lot more motor force. I wanted to do 2 15's for the longest time, and my trunk actually has enough volume, but it would just be way to much of a challenge to fit them in there.

Edited by ulrisa

Without a wall I doubt you will be able to fit the proper size enclosures for an 18 or 2 15's. What will your electrical consist of? How loud you will be is going to be almost entirely dependent on your install. Need more details.

Yeah my bad i failed to give enough details. I doubt 2 15's would even fit in that trunk actually. Electrical would be an h/o alt, big 3, everything done with 0 gauge, optima yellow top under the hood, and a kinetik in the back. Box would be whatever the recommendation is for the subs i go with, tuned around 33Hz or so most likely. I'm liking the two 12" fi btls idea here, now just to decide between those or a single 18" btl, since i listen to pretty much all rap/hip-hop and love them lows haha. So with this electrical and doing maybe 4000 watts total if i went with the two 12" btls, you think the windshield would be an issue still?

Its either going to be a single 15" BTL or 2-12" BTL's that will fit, doubt you can get the correct enclosure in that trunk for an 18".

Its either going to be a single 15" BTL or 2-12" BTL's that will fit, doubt you can get the correct enclosure in that trunk for an 18".

second that. why do you want an 18 in an evo???? :puzzled:

i am in the process of buying one also and all i want in there is a 12 BL thats it.

Yeah my bad i failed to give enough details. I doubt 2 15's would even fit in that trunk actually. Electrical would be an h/o alt, big 3, everything done with 0 gauge, optima yellow top under the hood, and a kinetik in the back. Box would be whatever the recommendation is for the subs i go with, tuned around 33Hz or so most likely. I'm liking the two 12" fi btls idea here, now just to decide between those or a single 18" btl, since i listen to pretty much all rap/hip-hop and love them lows haha. So with this electrical and doing maybe 4000 watts total if i went with the two 12" btls, you think the windshield would be an issue still?

There is no way to know how your windshield will react other than I can tell you for sure it will flex. Two 12 inch BTL's should be louder than one 15 because you'd have more cone area and twice the power(assuming you're going to run rms). I really doubt you will have enough room for the proper size enclosure for an 18 in the trunk.

i am in the process of buying one also and all i want in there is a 12 BL thats it.

Yeah forget about the 18. I will either do a 15 or two 12" btls. I just need to get something way louder than my current 15 BL, but since its going in an evo i just dont want to do any kind of damage to the car u know. I'm also going to be new to driving a manual actually haha, stupid question but u think it will be difficult driving stick with all that bass by any chance? (since you have to listen to the engine i believe, could be wrong since im still new to this lmao)

Yeah forget about the 18. I will either do a 15 or two 12" btls. I just need to get something way louder than my current 15 BL, but since its going in an evo i just dont want to do any kind of damage to the car u know. I'm also going to be new to driving a manual actually haha, stupid question but u think it will be difficult driving stick with all that bass by any chance? (since you have to listen to the engine i believe, could be wrong since im still new to this lmao)

Being able to hear the engine rev helps but Evo's have a tachometer(RPM meter) so you'll be able to keep an eye on it. If it is difficult for you to drive with bass now then you could have some issues but I think you'll be fine. I feel bad for that poor clutch though...

Hahah yeah i'll have the car before the system so that should allow me some time for getting used to it all. The tachometer should help for sure. Alright well i've got a better plan now of what to do now for everything thanks.

Edited by mikeb890

4152 watts and your windshield will crack.

Decide what vehicle your going to get before you start asking what you can fit... Once you decide on a vehicle then give us some measurements so we know what your working with.

Decide what vehicle your going to get before you start asking what you can fit... Once you decide on a vehicle then give us some measurements so we know what your working with.

What? How do you figure that #? :puzzled:

Don't worry about the windshield nothing will happen to it.

EDIT: lol Mr Bojangles, it's a joke.

Edited by kirill007

easy, I pulled it out of my ass. cmon now you thought I was being serious =/

Haha I was wondering there for a minute to be honest. There are a ton of factors, not just watts...

Sarcasm is a bitch. :peepwall:

it's my way of being semi helpful, once the op has real legitimate questions then I'll provide to the best of my knowledge real legitimate answers :)

it's my way of being semi helpful, once the op has real legitimate questions then I'll provide to the best of my knowledge real legitimate answers :)

user was banned for this post

YOU ARE A DOUCHE!!

You never cease to make unintelligent posts.

To the OP, I understand the feeling of wanting to build a system up as quick and as soon as possible, I've done it :P

When you get your vehicle (evo?) get some measurements and decide how much room your willing to sacrifice for an enclosure.

Then we can start doing some number crunching and figure out what will best fit your goals.

Whoa! Need a helmet on when you read through this! LOL

Don't wanna get hit with a off the wall attempt at belittling somebody... :shrug:

Ignorance can be fixed, stupid is forever.

Guys remember no matter how stupid the question may seem to some,

it may not seem so dumb to others.

At one time we've all asked questions we wish never fell out of our mouths.

There are a ton of variables that can apply to each install.

That's why there's comps.

It's too hard to say (ballpark) how loud anything will be in anywhere

until it's installed and working properly.

As for cracking the windshield....

There are a lot of factors that come into play when this happens.

Anything from a bad piece of glass, improper installation, extreme temps, has glass ever been

impacted by anything, the list goes on, and on....

Unless you're dumping a small power plant and a ton of extra batteries into the Evo,

there shouldn't be an issue.

No car and no budget,,..............I suggest just reading everything you can until you at least have these two important items.

You've stated that the BL 15" isn't loud enough and what you've done to the car ('08 tc), but you didn't state (and no one has asked) what was/is the specs. of the enclosure the BL is in. How is it installed in your car and so on.

This may help some of the people that are trying to help you.

Better buckle the chin strap to.

Edited by cobra93

You've stated that the BL 15" isn't loud enough and what you've done to the car ('08 tc), but you didn't state (and no one has asked) what was/is the specs. of the enclosure the BL is in. How is it installed in your car and so on.

This may help some of the people that are trying to help you.

Better buckle the chin strap to.

very good point, the enclosure makes a worlds difference :)

If you go with a btl, make sure you will have the electrical to back it up. Most cars electrical systems will not produce 2000+ watts.