Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

New Bench Power Supply Setup

CIMG4190.JPG

CIMG4191.JPG

Runs on 240v AC -- supplying 260 amps continuous current set to 14.8v

Hooked up to some Stinger SPV-70s... need to get one more in there.

Should do quite well... this replaces our prior setup of three Pyramid 40-amp units (only one recently as we blew up the other two). We went through those on a regular basis... this should be more reliable and much more power than we had before.

My Dad came in and installed the 240v panel for us (he was an electrician for 20+ years) -- each supply has it's own breaker.

Brandon did all of the wiring on the board for the supplies themselves.

Quite a bit of work in the whole deal but will make testing alot easier :)

WOW!! Impressive setup!! Let's do some testing... :drink40:

Nothing like having a stout power supply set up for testing.

That thing looks great!

:drink40:

shouldn't you need ~900 amps for testing strapped 4500D's? and that would make a great blow the video.

shouldn't you need ~900 amps for testing strapped 4500D's? and that would make a great blow the video.

Typically Jacob does strapping in his vehicles

still got/wanna get rid of the remaining 40amp pyramid unit?

We don't test that kind of power on the bench - as was mentioned I'd do that in my vehicle.

We also have a battery bank to back up short period high power testing.

I'll be holding onto this one :) I've had it for almost 10 years... it's a bit of a Frankenstein inside from being repaired / modded of the years -- which is why all the others blew and it didn't *laughs*

ohh ok damn... i feel the sentimental value aspect.

what brand/model are the ones your using now if i may ask? i'm tired of using a psu to power my saz1500 and once it gets bout 1/4 volume it shuts off. but im a broke ass and gotta find the best for less lol

I'll be holding onto this one :) I've had it for almost 10 years... it's a bit of a Frankenstein inside from being repaired / modded of the years -- which is why all the others blew and it didn't *laughs*

You have been doing stuff in car audio since you were a teenager? Thats crazy!

wow only 350w? guess thats why u got so many. my psu is 18amps 460w. i've got all the 12v(yellow) wired together and all the blacks together going to my amp should i add the +3v and 5v to the 12v? cause now that i look and think theres no way its gettin 460w right now

imma end up frying myself i better not even mess with it lol........but if u got any tips for me lemme know

You have been doing stuff in car audio since you were a teenager? Thats crazy!

Yep ! Brandon sold me my first system when I was 17

wow only 350w? guess thats why u got so many. my psu is 18amps 460w. i've got all the 12v(yellow) wired together and all the blacks together going to my amp should i add the +3v and 5v to the 12v? cause now that i look and think theres no way its gettin 460w right now

no only use the 12V wires, also if your computer PSU has more then 1 12V rail that could be part of your problem. i have a PSU that will do 90 or 100 amps and 1k watts. the bigger problem for computer psu's is that there very sentivie and will shut down if it thinks it see a short, i can knock a power supply off line with some multi meters. get some sealed battery's and a trickle charger thats what i use. well not sealed for mine because my batts are out side.

also cheep psu do not put out rated for long, or list there peek output power witch is for the power surge of start up. radio shack sells 20-25 amp ac / dc switching supplys that i like. you just need to find what works for you as a test bench power supply.

hear are some old pics of my rig, it has more wiring now.

IMG_1672.JPG

and spare equipment that came from the good ol days.

DSCN0594.JPG

Oh yeah, that's sexy. I told you this on FB.. the wiring is beautiful.

yeah i got several batts setting around 2 brand new ones. its just the charger lol we have 2 of em and neither one work its b.s..... probably gotta sell my sub this week to help keep our electricity and cable/internet on bums me out. but hey just gives me a reason to get new beats when i get my new car lol

Sign in to follow this