The enD

My first properly done box

Hi, people. Here I'll be posting my build log of a box I am working on. This is going to be my first properly done box. First time using plywood, wood glue, clamps and any sort of design and calculations. Last one was done with particle board, silicone and screws. :noob:

Let's talk about the box. It is going to be 1.74 cub ft for a 12" SA-12 , the used material is poplar plywood, kerfed port tuned to 32hz, flushed driver, painted port and around the driver in white, wrapped in carpet, bolt terminals.

The design was done by Bromo and excellent is the least I can say about it. He did all I asked about the box in a pretty fast time considering it is not an easy job. He is the man! :)

And let's get on with the pictures, shall we? :)

endsample_f6c6e_25736082.png

Example of Bromos work. He gave me all the dimensions and a good explanation about how I should proceed with the kerfing. If you are wondering who should do your box, PM him and he will hook you up with an awesome design! ;)

dsc06353_25107_25736061.jpg

Got wood? :)

dsc06355_fc11a_25736062.jpg

Doing some work.

dsc06357_06602_25736065.jpg

Playing with the macro. Forgot to turn on the flash. :/

dsc06362_fe1c6_25736067.jpg

Cleaning factory cuts.

dsc06365_79fc5_25736068.jpg

Part of the puzzle done. I think I need to cut two more pieces and then it's glue time.

That is for today. Any comments welcome. :fing34:

And thanks once more to bromo.

Hey there... Dude I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Glad to see you're gettin' started doing what you been wanting to do for awhile now!

we get the idea but i think i need to help Bromo on using Sketchup, hehe.

There are quite a few finishing touches u can do so the design actually looks the way it suppose to.

For the actual design-

The internal baffle needs to be flushed with the kerf.

If you are going to 45 "some corners", you might as well do all of them...

There are some designs where u cant 45 every corner but according to this design, you can.

and for a personal preference of mine, instead of running a dowel rod the whole width of the box, just attach it to the vertical runs so the void in between the 2 vertical runs are wide open. Gives more room to breathe and less potential for turbulence.

And honestly, just based on the design itself, you shouldn't even need ANY internal bracing...

If you glue the top down and put a LOT of weight on it to securily adhere to the internal port wall, back wall and side walls, then the lengths of the internal walls in the box aren't really long enough to be concerned of flexing to the point that it would hinder performance.

Hey there... Dude I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Glad to see you're gettin' started doing what you been wanting to do for awhile now!

Thanks, man. Yeah it's been a while. Stay tuned for more pictures. That's pretty basic what I am doing right now. When I get to the kerfing is the actual fun. Hope I don't screw it up.

For the actual design-

The internal baffle needs to be flushed with the kerf.

If you are going to 45 "some corners", you might as well do all of them...

There are some designs where u cant 45 every corner but according to this design, you can.

and for a personal preference of mine, instead of running a dowel rod the whole width of the box, just attach it to the vertical runs so the void in between the 2 vertical runs are wide open. Gives more room to breathe and less potential for turbulence.

And honestly, just based on the design itself, you shouldn't even need ANY internal bracing...

If you glue the top down and put a LOT of weight on it to securily adhere to the internal port wall, back wall and side walls, then the lengths of the internal walls in the box aren't really long enough to be concerned of flexing to the point that it would hinder performance.

For the baffle thing I may and I may not flush it.

Actually this was the first picture he send me. After that we changed the port tuning and added bracing. This is the final product.

theend17432hz_433c2_25677451.png

I don't think more 45 are necessary. And I am going to skip bracing exactly because of the boxs size and turbulence.

them some big ass pics

I forgot to turn on the flash or they would've been even better. I like to play around with the camera. I take a couple of different pictures of the same thing and leave only the best one. Always hi res. Sorry if I takes a while to load. Just leave it a while and then come back. ;)

do NOT put that extra turn on the port wall... Just do the 45 in the corner next to it.

Adding that little bitty turn on the port wall like that is just... not good.

It will create turbulence and that port is too sharp anyways.

the 45 in the corner next to it will still acoustically tune it the way you want to and if it by any chance doesnt, you may be off.. 1hz. this isn't audible.

No reason to double the side walls either.

No reason to double the side walls either.

That's the design view. The sides are flushed too, not doubled.

The top of the top panel is transparent, it's not doubled on the sides.

Bromo is very good with enclosure designs.

Eating breakfast at 3 PM :D

I've been doing some work in the morning. Glued bottom and back.

First time kerfing, so did some experiments before working on the actual piece.

Now I am going to glue the sides and cut the kerf.

img_1048_00e04_25736069.jpg

These were made by my father when working with bigger project like whole doors and windows. But I ended up not using them.

img_1053_8c04f_25736070.jpg

I need more clamps.

img_1055_511c3_25736071.jpg

Glued and clamped. My hand kinda hurt a lil but it's for good, very tight bond.

img_1057_b6dba_25736072.jpg

Right before cleaning the excess glue.

img_1059_96db6_25736073.jpg

img_1062_2976c_25736074.jpg

Playing with kerfing. There is a critical point where the wood bends or breaks.

img_1063_b151c_25736075.jpg

img_1064_41b04_25736076.jpg

Looks good to me. Now I have to do the same thing to the big piece. :ehh:

-Teo

img_1067_97137_25736078.jpg

First two pieces glued.

img_1068_e228b_25736079.jpg

Now lets fire this bad boy up. Mega Sander lol

img_1082_0e85d_25736080.jpg

That's the side which will be a part of the port. It has to be smooth for the paint. Before/After picture. Very soft. :)

img_1089_56f45_25736081.jpg

The whole piece is covered with glue which is very important for a strong bond.

img_1091_983e9_25736084.jpg

Clamping again.

img_1093_6eda1_25736085.jpg

And now the kerfing.

img_1097_441df_25736086.jpg

Marking where I should cut.

AND NOW EPIC FAIL....................................................................

img_1099_b6029_25736087.jpg

img_1101_01eac_25736089.jpg

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :suicide-santa:

That is it for today. I'll just make a new piece tomorrow. :)

Would this design also work the new SKAR 12" subwoofer?? It also requires about 1.75 cuft and similar tuning. What do you guys think?

Made some progress this night. Been out of town these days so it's the only time I can work.

img_1170_8ae10_25736091.jpg

Sides glued.

img_1172_a7be6_25736092.jpg

New pieces sanded and drawn again. This time I used a piece of wood and a clamp to attach it to the baffle. That way I can hold the saw against it and make straight line. The first time I hold it without support and the lines were not the best.

img_1176_b7aad_25736093.jpg

Perfect. That extra line is for the 11th channel, but I didn't cut it.

img_1177_4fd28_25736094.jpg

YES!

img_1179_c4a52_25736095.jpg

img_1180_4b638_25736096.jpg

Dry fit. It needs a little more work for a perfect 1/4 circle.

img_1182_48fe8_25736097.jpg

There were some little crack, but nothing to make it actually break. Minor sanding and it will be perfect.

img_1183_d28a1_25736099.jpg

Beautiful. I'm relieved considering my first failed attempt.

looks great... wish I had the tools and time to do this work

looks great... wish I had the tools and time to do this work

Thanks, man. If I didn't have the proper tools I would not have got into this for sure.

The box is looking good!! Nice choice of wood. :fing34: wish I had that belt sander. :wub:

dude please resize the images smaller. Its taking forEVA to finish loading. :sleepwerd4::suicide-santa: Good shit otherwise.

Resizing the images making them twice smaller. Should be ready in a couple.