sundownz

Sundown X-12 Prototype

Very nice! I like the new cooling ring spacer.

These also will feature a 3" coil?

Very nice! I like the new cooling ring spacer.

These also will feature a 3" coil?

Yes, these use a 3" coil

Will this line require similar box sizes as the SA's??

Will this line require similar box sizes as the SA's??

Yes it will -- the same boxes should work perfectly.

This is the X12 version Im taking when we discussed will have the new regressive spider and or retooled suspension? Oh hell just call me when you get a chance LEAP-X is ready for mechanical plotting etc if you need testing.

I got a fast question,

why are you using 3inch coils... why not use 4inch coils? is there a down fall to 4inch coils? isn't more always better?

pardon the novice question but I was just wondering why you tend to use 3inch coils.

I got a fast question,

why are you using 3inch coils... why not use 4inch coils? is there a down fall to 4inch coils? isn't more always better?

pardon the novice question but I was just wondering why you tend to use 3inch coils.

They weigh a lot more, handle a bit more power but for a 1000 watt rated driver a 3" coil does a better job.

I got a fast question,

It has to do with weight and mecanical limitations. A 4"coil takes up more of the spider and limets movement

more then likely he would have to change the gap on the motor as well and its really not needed. If jacob upgrades the nightshade or creates a woofer above the nightshade you may see a 4in coil come into play.

For a 1000-watt sub a 4" coil is bit time over-kill for one.

Secondly, as was mentioned, I wouldn't have room for a good spider as we are on the 7" landing.

Third, as was also mentioned, the coil would be VERY heavy as we are using copper windings.

---

As an "in general" why we don't have a 4" coil driver yet -- the simple answer is I'm still working on soft parts for that.

Don't worry... things are in the works.

This is the X12 version Im taking when we discussed will have the new regressive spider and or retooled suspension? Oh hell just call me when you get a chance LEAP-X is ready for mechanical plotting etc if you need testing.

This spider isn't one of the regressive units I've shown you but is indeed very nice -- very much like what I'm using on the Z v.3 :)

more then likely he would have to change the gap on the motor as well and its really not needed. If jacob upgrades the nightshade or creates a woofer above the nightshade you may see a 4in coil come into play.

Uh, yeah he would have to change the gap of this motor to accept a 4inch coil.

Don't comment if your not 100% on what your talking about.

And a 4inch coil can be used for a 1000rms driver. Hence the new 4inch coil BL from FI. And I'm sure there are other subs using 4inch+ coils and under 1000rms. Its all in the design and application the sub is needed for.

Technically you can find light duty subs with huge diameter coils if you look around -- but they also typically have a short winding height like the new Alpine Shallow Type-R :

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/swr-t12 -- 4 inch coil

Or the JL Audio Shallow :

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs_pages.php?page_id=245 -- 7 inch coil

IMO -- if the new 4" coil BL has a WW and cooling setup anything like the current model it will be legitimately much more than a 1kw driver... likely would out-perform the older BTLs thermally for that matter. I can only imagine if they still rate it for 1kw that is simply to be very conservative :)

-----

In any event -- in our case -- we are still working on the soft parts for a 4" coil... have had a spider drawn up for some time but other projects have been priority.

They actually did increase the rating for the BL4" ;)

Tejcurrent is starting the rebuild on his ride you should make him some subs that will take ~20-40k across 4 drivers i think for extended periods of time. 3.5" - 5.5" coil maybe? he wont release any details other then the electrical so far. sorry for thread jack.

what would be the biggest coil / power handling coil that would be usable / might we ever see from you?

Technically you can find light duty subs with huge diameter coils if you look around -- but they also typically have a short winding height like the new Alpine Shallow Type-R :

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/swr-t12 -- 4 inch coil

Or the JL Audio Shallow :

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs_pages.php?page_id=245 -- 7 inch coil

IMO -- if the new 4" coil BL has a WW and cooling setup anything like the current model it will be legitimately much more than a 1kw driver... likely would out-perform the older BTLs thermally for that matter. I can only imagine if they still rate it for 1kw that is simply to be very conservative :)

-----

In any event -- in our case -- we are still working on the soft parts for a 4" coil... have had a spider drawn up for some time but other projects have been priority.

I was just stating 4inch+ coils can be used in low/mid level drivers. It doesn't have to be a 4000rms monster sub.

But most people think bigger is better regardless, even though there are plenty of great 3inch coil drivers, that will meet every need.

what would be the biggest coil / power handling coil that would be usable / might we ever see from you?

I have some plans for larger diameter coils but they are far enough off that it's not worth bringing up just yet.

The X-12 will be around $285 MAP or so -- similar progression in pricing difference per size as the SA line as well.

nice I will wait a bit longer and see what more info you give and I am interested in team pricing :)

I will also be adding an internal aluminum shorting ring standard on these -- a feature not commonly found on woofers in this category.

This reduces inductance, flattens the inductance curve, improves power delivery by lowering reactive rise, and also is a bit of a heat-sink (minimal).

Our Z v.2 (and v.3) and Nightshade v.2 models feature this as well and I decided to trickle it down :)

I thought I read somewhere that the ring made the impedance fall to low on the Z v2 so you discontinued use of the ring on the Z v2?