swagger_wagon468

Jonathan's 1994 Camry Wagon build. | Video(s) on page 22!

hmm... ok. yea, Sean, any input on this subject? (in terms i would understand) :lol2:

wait for it....lol That how i read it.

hmm... ok. yea, Sean, any input on this subject? (in terms i would understand) :lol2:

The whole thing is: your setting the gain on your substage amp to your max listening volume.

Whether your max listening volume is 3/4 the way up on your head unit or it's 35/35 on your head unit it's immaterial.

If all your speakers are on amps and aren't relying on head unit power then it's possible to turn your headunit to 35/35 and set your mids/highs amp's gains accordingly.

Trying to say that 35/35 on your head unit sends a clipped signal to your amps is wrong, everything is relative. Depending on the amp's gain, the amp will / will not clip the signal.

Try this: plug your ipod into your head unit using an aux cable, now turn the volume way down on the ipod and turn the volume on the head unit up to it's max volume, sounds fine doesn't it?

So either way works, personally I set everything up within a couple clicks of my head units max volume that way you have some headroom depending on the songs recording level and if someone else is driving my car they can't turn the volume up any louder and ruin my equipment.

Just my take, :)

Makes sense... but I never let anyone drive the swagger wagon. :D

I should upload some pics...

I hear ya, but when I take my jeep into a shop who knows what they do :P

The whole thing is: your setting the gain on your substage amp to your max listening volume.

Whether your max listening volume is 3/4 the way up on your head unit or it's 35/35 on your head unit it's immaterial.

If all your speakers are on amps and aren't relying on head unit power then it's possible to turn your headunit to 35/35 and set your mids/highs amp's gains accordingly.

Trying to say that 35/35 on your head unit sends a clipped signal to your amps is wrong, everything is relative. Depending on the amp's gain, the amp will / will not clip the signal.

Try this: plug your ipod into your head unit using an aux cable, now turn the volume way down on the ipod and turn the volume on the head unit up to it's max volume, sounds fine doesn't it?

So either way works, personally I set everything up within a couple clicks of my head units max volume that way you have some headroom depending on the songs recording level and if someone else is driving my car they can't turn the volume up any louder and ruin my equipment.

Just my take, :)

Why do you think people set their gains on 3/4 hu vol mainly because thats when its not clipping. Most alpines clip at volume 25 out of 35 so if you do that little ipod trick it's still clipping( i think) when you have ipod all the way down and above 25 its clipping. clipping is a wave...you can play a clipped song. Amps get the signal from the RCA's (HU) and amplify so if its a clipped song its going to amplify a clipped song.

My Take on this.

HU do clip that's why you set them below clipping so you dont amplify a square wave and send it to your speakers.

ah I still think what I'm saying can work if done right :P

Doesn't matter for the OP though.

ah I still think what I'm saying can work if done right :P

Doesn't matter for the OP though.

Yes it does.

So... enough of this.lol.

today I set the gain so max is btween 25-28 depending on song. Now... I have what I think is a low pass filter on the amp. What's that do? I turned it all the way upp... and didn't sound any different from all the way down...?

today I set the gain so max is btween 25-28 depending on song. Now... I have what I think is a low pass filter on the amp. What's that do? I turned it all the way upp... and didn't sound any different from all the way down...?

were are the speakers crossed at? Just set it at 65

What speakers is this amp powering? sub stage? If so I'd set the LPF anywhere from around 60hz-80hz. Do you have mids on an amplifier? If so what are they crossed at?

What do mean crossed at? And what does it do?

"crossed at" is the same as saying the filter is set to xxx. A Low pass filter attenuates frequencies above the set frequency.

So setting your LPF at 80hz would lower the signal of midbass and highs being sent to the subwoofer. It's not a cutoff but a slope (hence the reason you hear 12db slope, 24db slope etc)

Hmm... still kinda jiberish to me. Lol. This amp is powering my front stage. Its. Bridged (190w Rms). They are Bravox carbon fiber components. The thing is tho... when I turned it all the way up, to the middle, etc... it all sounded the same.

Low Pass filters allow low frequencies to pass below a selected crossover frequency, filtering out all frequencies above it

High Pass filters allow high frequencies above a selected crossover frequency to pass, filtering out all frequencies below it

Start at 80hz on each for a good starting point. So, you would be sending 80hz and up to your mids/highs and 80hz and down to your subs.

Play around with them from there to see what sounds/blends best.

:fing34:

Hmm... still kinda jiberish to me. Lol. This amp is powering my front stage. Its. Bridged (190w Rms). They are Bravox carbon fiber components. The thing is tho... when I turned it all the way up, to the middle, etc... it all sounded the same.

What amp are you using? What music or song were you playing that made it seem like it sounded the same?

wait on speakers your not supposed to be using LPF....

A, a subwoofer is a speaker and you just advised him on using a lpf for his sub amp.

B, low pass filter is certainly a good idea for keeping your midbass drivers playing midbass and your tweeters playing highs.

A, a subwoofer is a speaker and you just advised him on using a lpf for his sub amp.

B, low pass filter is certainly a good idea for keeping your midbass drivers playing midbass and your tweeters playing highs.

Is he running active no....I thought you don't need to run he LPF on Voice speakers.

Is he running active no....I thought you don't need to run he LPF on Voice speakers.

I don't know what speakers he's using :ughdunno: lol

I think its the Bravox's..... :peepwall:

I think its the Bravox's..... :peepwall:

In that case they have their own passive crossover, and kinda explains why adjusting the lpf on your amp yielded no difference in sound :D

So OP, don't worry about the lpf.

Oooo ok. So if I have crossovers, then that means the lpf won't do anything right?... Gotchya.

In your case you don't want to use it.