swagger_wagon468

Jonathan's 1994 Camry Wagon build. | Video(s) on page 22!

I think I might have found a good deal on a saz3000d. It would be ok for my XCON as long as I keep the gain down right?

buying tonight if you guys thinkk its ok to do.

I think I might have found a good deal on a saz3000d. It would be ok for my XCON as long as I keep the gain down right?

buying tonight if you guys thinkk its ok to do.

less gain, less power.

Bought a Sundown saz-1500d today. He said he's shipping it tomorrow! Im excited.

Question... im getting a 180xp alt from DC at the end of the month and I was wondering...

1) which should I do first? Upgrade my primary batt, get a second batt, or just wait till I can do both at the same time

?

Im just not to familiar with the whole electrical part. Current batt is a walmart with 765 cold crank amps. (Idek if that's good.) Lolz.

Im also ordering a design for my box. Doing kerfed port annd double baffle.

7.5ft^3 is about right correct? Its right within the optimal specs.

thanks and stay tuned.

If your gonna get a ho alternator then 9 times out of 10 with the amount of power your running you want need a secondary battery in the trunk. Just get a upgraded stock battery and volt meter, then monitor your voltage. After you install everything then determine if more electrical upgrades are needed.

O ok. Sweet. So just like a d2400 up front and I should be good? That would be nice.

Also, I was talking to kyle from DC, and he had a avalon witht the same engine as my Camry. And he was satin somethin about the d2400 was reverse( or not reverse... can't remember.) And that he just had the positive terminal go to the starter?... something like that. Any of that sound like somethin u have heard being done before?

You could get rain/wind guards to go around your windows to prevent the drizzle on your tweets

Today I took 10 min out of my day to go to besbuy and get some splitters and bridge my amp. Got a pack of 2 Kicker splitters for $15. Not too bad.

But talk about an improvement... sounds sooo much better. Tweeters are alot crisper. And the woofers are much clearer. Now each side is seeing 190wrms.I have the gain about a 1/5th of the way up. And is perfectly clear untill 29 on the volume knob. (Out of 35 I think.) I have a Kenwood. So I think I need to turn it down just a tad. So I can get 30 with no distortion.

I wouldnt go any higher than 26 or 27, remember never to turn your volume up past 75% (thats usually how I do it).

I wouldnt go any higher than 26 or 27, remember never to turn your volume up past 75% (thats usually how I do it).

You could match the gain on the amp(s) so your head unit would play loudest without distortion at it's max volume. Assuming all speakers are being ran off amps and not head unit power.

right? :peepwall:

You could match the gain on the amp(s) so your head unit would play loudest without distortion at it's max volume. Assuming all speakers are being ran off amps and not head unit power.

but then volume might be too low at normal listening volume? not sure if that is the reasoning for most tutorials suggestions 3/4 volume when adjusting gains.... I could be wrong though..

Thanks for the complements. :D and more input on the volume situation would be good. I heard not to go past 30 when max is 35. But idk... :ughdunno:

but then volume might be too low at normal listening volume? not sure if that is the reasoning for most tutorials suggestions 3/4 volume when adjusting gains.... I could be wrong though..

When using head unit power you can typically turn the volume up 3/4 of the way to max before it starts to distort, but what I'm saying is when your using an external amplifier for all your speakers then your no longer relying on your head units power.

So you could set all your amp gains accordingly with the head unit at max volume. It would theoretically work and I don't see any reason it would not, but I don't have an amp for my mids and highs yet so I haven't tried it.

I have everything powered by amplifiers on my car, and I have stuck to the 3/4 rule. What I was stating wasn't trying to rival the stance of distortion, I was stating that setting your gains with the with the volume wide open is simply making your system quieter at the lower volumes... So if at 3/4 volume, taking the formula of: √ (RMS wattage x ohms used) .. My JL 500/1 for example: √(500*4) = 44.7

This means I need to have an output of 44.7v to get the desired output to my subwoofer, right? If I have my HU wide open on volume that means that I am increasing the input which in-turn would demand less gain to create that same 44.7v thus making the output theoretically lower than if I had set the gains at 3/4 volume... Am I right? or I have I lost the concept of this?

I have everything powered by amplifiers on my car, and I have stuck to the 3/4 rule. What I was stating wasn't trying to rival the stance of distortion, I was stating that setting your gains with the with the volume wide open is simply making your system quieter at the lower volumes... So if at 3/4 volume, taking the formula of: √ (RMS wattage x ohms used) .. My JL 500/1 for example: √(500*4) = 44.7

This means I need to have an output of 44.7v to get the desired output to my subwoofer, right? If I have my HU wide open on volume that means that I am increasing the input which in-turn would demand less gain to create that same 44.7v thus making the output theoretically lower than if I had set the gains at 3/4 volume... Am I right? or I have I lost the concept of this?

you would want to create the 44.7v while your headunit is at 3/4, not full tilt. If you set your gain to 44.7v at full volume then you are not going to get the full 44.7v output at 3/4 HU volume.

Hope that helps?

Edited by bimmerboy

All your doing is matching an input voltage with an adjustable knob (gain) to get full power at xxx volume without clipping.

Whether you have your gain at 1/10 and max volume at 35/35 or gain at 10/10 and max volume at 10/35, output should be the same. (numbers are made up, but you get the idea)

Hmm... it seems as if most say to stick to the 3/4 rule. So for a Kenwood, that would be like 27 right? If so, I would need to set my gains as high as I can with out distortion at 27 volume. Correct?

Hmm... it seems as if most say to stick to the 3/4 rule. So for a Kenwood, that would be like 27 right? If so, I would need to set my gains as high as I can with out distortion at 27 volume. Correct?

Turn your head unit volume up to the max you listen to it (without distortion) then turn the gain up on the sub amp until it clips then back it off till it's clean again

Clipping is a signal...when the headunit sends a clipped signal from the RCA's your amp amplifies it. So if you turn it up to 35 out of 35 and only have like 1/4 of the gain up thats still a clipped signal.

Clipping is a signal...when the headunit sends a clipped signal from the RCA's your amp amplifies it. So if you turn it up to 35 out of 35 and only have like 1/4 of the gain up thats still a clipped signal.

Hmm I don't know about that. M5, Imp?

Sounds about right, but I'm only going off recommendations and tutorials I've followed from manufacturer websites...

hmm... ok. yea, Sean, any input on this subject? (in terms i would understand) :lol2:

Edited by swagger_wagon468