armyranger3858

why do people hate on optima yellow tops

a lot of people i have talked to on forums say to stay away from optima yellow tops, why?

Edited by armyranger3858

Ive noticed over the years their cca ratings have gone down.

Edited by Optimus_Prime

QC has gone down the drain in the past few years. Plus they are overpriced.

QC has gone down the drain in the past few years. Plus they are overpriced.

x2, people I know who sell them have been complaining about the quality for years.

'CCA is the maximum amperes that can be continuously removed from a battery for 30 seconds at 0°F before its voltage drops to unusable levels. A 550 CCA battery can supply 550 amperes for 30 seconds at 0°F. This was important back in the days when vehicles took a long time to start. Now if you put a charge to your starter for 30 seconds it would probably burn up, and it doesn't make any difference in car audio.' - Nathan @ XS Power

But anyway, most of us have used Optima batteries in our setups, we just found better options available. : )

My experience with Optima products has been good. But I personally prefer XS, Stinger and SVR. I had a few SVR's over the years and they were pretty sturdy. A number of people love Deka's for the value.

From what I have read their QC has gone down from outsourcing their work and using impure lead.

Even if what above is not true. There is much better for the money.

I've probably had 30 Optimas in my life. I have had a total of 3 bad ones and all had internal shorts. Normally that wouldn't bother me, but they changed the warranty several years ago and you now have to return it to the original store you purchased from or call Optima and go through a huge hassle to get an RMA to return to any other dealer. Aside from that, I've never had an issue with them and I always find them to be the cheapest out of all the others mentioned in this thread. You just have to know where and how to buy.

I have always run red tops in my vehicles with no issues. I am running two of them now, we will see how they do once I put 2k watts through them.

I was always told to get Optimas but for the money I ended up with Kinetik and it has been pretty good so far. My weak point right now is my alternator, can't reserve power if it isn't being made... My 80a max stock is not doing my Kinetik any justice. I think even after I get my DC Power alternator, I will get a Kinetik for the rear to supply a constant to the amplifiers... :)

I have always had a Yellow Top under the hood of my vehicles, and I have never had a dead battery.

I have always had a Yellow Top under the hood of my vehicles, and I have never had a dead battery.

I've had a few as well and never a bad one. I got a good deal on mine so I'm happy.

(sorry i -1 this. i accidentally clicked it while on this stupid laptop)

I've had a few as well and never a bad one. I got a good deal on mine so I'm happy.

Fixed

Yeah I had great success with the ones I used and the bad one that I did have was all my fault. I will be trying XS Power batteries for my future builds.

Fixed

Yeah I had great success with the ones I used and the bad one that I did have was all my fault. I will be trying XS Power batteries for my future builds.

You will not be disappointed. I have had the same D3100 for 3 years. It has been in and out of more than a few vehicles/systems, sat for a full year, and was installed on a tractor and lost until I found it a few months ago. I charged it over night and now it is in my car. :drink40: