Sign in to follow this  
jcarter1885

New Sub Setup 2011

Hey all, Im trying to decide what I want to do for my summer sub setup. It will be going in a 1998 Acura 3.5RL, trunk system with about 4ft.^3 after displacement. I will be using around 3500 watts for either setup and dont plan on more power (not looking for number really but that would be nice). Im looking for more of a daily ground pounder with a great low end response that can be brutal when I turn it up. For tuning im planning on 31hz, I listen to mostly chopped and screwed music/r&b/old school and rap. Here are the options, any more questions just ask.

Sub Options:

3-10" Fi Q's

2-12" SSA Xcons or DD 3512s

15" AA Mayhem

*Electrical will be a DC Power H/O Alternator, XS Power D2400 and D3100 batteries and Big 3 wiring.

**2-12"s will be rear firing, more than likely the 15" and 3-10" will be upward firing.

med_gallery_7913_319_19753.jpg

med_gallery_7913_319_2613.jpg

I think the XCONS will definitely fit the bill covering the low's your looking for while handling the power fine.

3 tens may pose an odd impedance for your amplifier.

In the past I always went with either a pair of 10" or 12" in trunk applications.

Yeah impedence is one of the things that is keeping me from doing the 10's, just threw it out as an option since its on the back burner. The main advantage of the 12''s is I can do rear or forward firing port and subwoofers and not upward firing causing more abuse to the trunk lid then wanted.

Your helping me make this decision easier, so far im liking the 2-12"s idea.

You could easily (sorta) do 3 10's forward firing whilst porting through the rear deck.

You could easily (sorta) do 3 10's forward firing whilst porting through the rear deck.

I definitely thought about that but my rear deck is well constructed and dont want to put that much work into modifying it honestly. If I had my last vehicle then the rear deck wouldnt be an issue right now. Right now if I did the 3-10"s it would be upward firing for the subwoofers.

I definitely thought about that but my rear deck is well constructed and dont want to put that much work into modifying it honestly. If I had my last vehicle then the rear deck wouldnt be an issue right now. Right now if I did the 3-10"s it would be upward firing for the subwoofers.

ah aeroports would help too, port through the factory speakers/subwoofer if you have one

Yeah I have 2 - 6x9" speaker cutouts in the rear deck for the rear deck speakers but it is not accessible through the trunk. I would have to cut some metal to get to the speakers through the trunk or port through the rear deck. Dont think I want to do any cutting right now at this point.

I definitely like the ideas keep them coming.

ive played with the 12" Q and a 15" Q. dont think thats what you want, each time ive installed one i was looking for something just like you described and havent got it yet. tried 3 different boxes for the 12" and only 1 for the 15".. 12 was in a trunk car also, 15 in a truck. clean as hell though. Just doesnt have that .. "oh shit" effect. I would go 15" mayhem, or the xcons (havent heard them but sure they will do it also). just my 2 cents. as far as design im no help so ill leave that to these guys. the mayhem being equivalent to the BTL which i do have experience with will for sure give you the 'oh shit!" effect. ;)

edit, for what its worth the Q setups both consisted of 1 sub per vehicle, not 3.

Edited by smashedz28

ive played with the 12" Q and a 15" Q. dont think thats what you want, each time ive installed one i was looking for something just like you described and havent got it yet. tried 3 different boxes for the 12" and only 1 for the 15".. 12 was in a trunk car also, 15 in a truck. clean as hell though. Just doesnt have that .. "oh shit" effect. I would go 15" mayhem, or the xcons (havent heard them but sure they will do it also). just my 2 cents. as far as design im no help so ill leave that to these guys. the mayhem being equivalent to the BTL which i do have experience with will for sure give you the 'oh shit!" effect. ;)

edit, for what its worth the Q setups both consisted of 1 sub per vehicle, not 3.

I definitely appreciate your input and thats what I kinda been thinking about the Q's as well, I bet there one hell of a woofer but may not just be enough. I really need to go out to some shows and hear some setups to get a better idea of what i want but there really arent any shows around. Thanks again

Out of those choices i would say the x-con bro, musical and will take a beating..... as in my buddy daily-ed one on 2 aq 2200s@.5 each. Not saying every setup can do that but sounded great and hit the lows. I do have to say he saw a big jump by going to a z.2.

(2) 12" Xcons :fing34: I have mine in a 4 cubic foot box tuned to 32hz and I love it.

"Summer sub set up"

I love how you have broken down your installs in to seasons now. lol :fing34:

If your not out for just numbers and want a really great sounding, low end smashing subwoofer...... you already know what to do.

XCON tuned low.

"Summer sub set up"

I love how you have broken down your installs in to seasons now. lol :fing34:

If your not out for just numbers and want a really great sounding, low end smashing subwoofer...... you already know what to do.

XCON tuned low.

Naw not really a seasonal thing just got a few things to handle first and no this will not be started till summer time, plus moving which will kill most of my funds but thats not on topic.

Im liking the SSA Xcons or AA Havocs dual 12" idea.

Out of those choices i would say the x-con bro, musical and will take a beating..... as in my buddy daily-ed one on 2 aq 2200s@.5 each. Not saying every setup can do that but sounded great and hit the lows. I do have to say he saw a big jump by going to a z.2.

I had a Z v.1 and it was ok, I liked it just not really what I was looking for. I want a sub to get loud but that not be the only thing, it sounded good but not what I wanted. I want my subwoofer to still sound excellent as it gets louder.

Your response helped me make a good decision. Considering what you said and how i feel about the Z, i do think the Xcons will be for me. :thanx:

You may want to consider the IA Death Row or Death Penalty series. My 18" DR is a low end beast, with a tight accurate transient attack that I prefer and I'm tuned to 37hz.

A lot great options out there. The Zv.2 is a beefier, louder subwoofer than the Zv.1.

You may want to consider the IA Death Row or Death Penalty series. My 18" DR is a low end beast, with a tight accurate transient attack that I prefer and I'm tuned to 37hz.

A lot great options out there. The Zv.2 is a beefier, louder subwoofer than the Zv.1.

Yeah and I didnt care for the Zv.1 to much so I think the Zv.2 wouldnt fit my goals either.

My favorite subs are Kicker CVX and JL Audio w6 so far(havent listened to my SSA Icon yet), there are others that I liked but they were mostly mainstream companies. Just looking for something similar with a little more output, I know subs cant be compared just giving you guys an idea of what has satisfied me in the past.