Shopvac

Tweeters

Would you guys be kind enough to recommend a pair of good tweeters...

info.

Budget- $200 - $250 for the pair

Would be connected to a single channel with 160W rms in parellel, 2 ohm load (active). (sax 100.4D)

Prefered, (but not limited to), to buy tweeter with x-over, hence gives me the option of going active or passive.

Thanks.

Would you guys be kind enough to recommend a pair of good tweeters...

info.

Budget- $200 - $250 for the pair

Would be connected to a single channel with 160W rms in parellel, 2 ohm load (active). (sax 100.4D)

Prefered, (but not limited to), to buy tweeter with x-over, hence gives me the option of going active or passive.

Thanks.

Earthquake Screamers are pretty good... 125rms per one. About $150 on their site for two, but i seen it for $75 bucks online somewhere.

Check out Madisound. They sell SEAS tweeters.

https://www.madisound.com/store/index.php?cPath=45_229_250

I have a pair of seas prestige alum. Dome tweets and I couldn't be happier with them, also have a set of mach 5 mli 6.5's all on a jl 300/4. It sounds pretty good nice and clean sounding.

Why are you connecting the tweeters in parallel to a single channel?

Additionally, it's impossible to give recommendations for tweeters without knowing what your implementation is. What mids will you be using? How low do you need the tweeters to play? Can you fit large format or small format only? Will the tweeters be on-axis or off-axis? Do you have a preference in sound?

And, again, why are you connecting the pair of tweeters to a single channel?

Additionally, it's impossible to give recommendations for tweeters without knowing what your implementation is. What mids will you be using? How low do you need the tweeters to play? Can you fit large format or small format only? Will the tweeters be on-axis or off-axis? Do you have a preference in sound?

will try to answer some of your question, as I am fairly new to this....

I am using a sax 100.4D ..ch 1 tweeters, ch 2 mids, ch 3/4 bridged for sub or mid bass depending if I extend the system by adding a dedicated sub amp later..

Using tweeters in parellel to maximise power from a single ch which would be 160 watts at 2 ohm load instead of 100 watts at 4 ohms.

Will be using a pair (unknown as yet) of 6.5 mids 4 ohms in parallel, again to acheive 160 w instead of 100w, could do with that recommendation aswell....??

I can fit large or small format, do not know what you mean by on or off axis??, with respect to sound I am heading towards SQ as a total system.

(also according to specs the amp is stable at 2 ohm stereo, and 4 ohm bridged)

Edited by Shopvac

will try to answer some of your question, as I am fairly new to this....

I am using a sax 100.4D ..ch 1 tweeters, ch 2 mids, ch 3/4 bridged for sub or mid bass depending if I extend the system by adding a dedicated sub amp later..

Using tweeters in parellel to maximise power from a single ch which would be 160 watts at 2 ohm load instead of 100 watts at 4 ohms.

Will be using a pair (unknown as yet) of 6.5 mids 4 ohms in parallel, again to acheive 160 w instead of 100w, could do with that recommendation aswell....??

I can fit large or small format, do not know what you mean by on or off axis??, with respect to sound I am heading towards SQ as a total system.

(also according to specs the amp is stable at 2 ohm stereo, and 4 ohm bridged)

BAD! Do not do this... run channel 1 for a mid and a tweeter with a crossover either active or passive to split the signal... run channel 2 to run a mid and a tweeter with a crossover either active or passive to split the signal... Doing it the way you mention will give you a royally screwed up sound stage... I would bridge 3/4 and use that for rear fill or midbass either using you HU and amp or another crossover to bandpass them so you do not mess up your sound stage. Then i would get another amp to run a sub, the largest single sub possible to keep it simple..

If you want to only use one four channel amplifier:

Purchase a component set (with xovers) that fits your budget and needs. Run channel 1&2 for the components and channel 3&4 bridged for a sub.

Do NOT do this. Your music is stereo. You must maintain independent left and right channels for the speakers in order to maintain stereo sound. Your proposed plan would not separate left and right signals, the results would be disastrous.....an aural abomination. The left speakers must only receive left channel information, the right speakers only right channel information.

You have three main options;

1. Run the front speakers (mids and tweeters) with passive crossovers, with the left mid and tweeter on channel 1 through a passive crossover and the right mid and tweeter on channel 2 through a passive crossover.
  2. Add a smaller 2-channel amplifier to the system to run the tweeters and try to run the system actively. Then you could have one tweeter on each channel of the 2-channel amplifier (left TW on CH1, right TW on CH2) and use two of the channels on the 4-channel amp for the mids (left Mid on CH1 and right Mid on CH2; CH3/4 bridged to the sub).
  3. Add a dedicted subwoofer to the system and run both the mids and tweeters from the 4-channel amplifier actively (left TW on CH1, right TW on CH2, left mid on CH3, right mid on CH4; subwoofer on the mono amp).

Honestly, given your experience level.....active sounds like an extremely bad plan for you. Your best option would be to go with a passive component set. In other words, don't look for mids and tweeters separately.....look at one of the many predesigned component sets from the main manufacturers.

Really, we need to start from scratch. What is your budget?

do not know what you mean by on or off axis??

Axis basically refers to the speakers aiming in relation to your listening position (the drivers seat). If the speakers are aimed towards you, that's on-axis. If they're not aimed towards you, the are off-axis.

run channel 1 for a mid and a tweeter with a crossover either active or passive to split the signal... run channel 2 to run a mid and a tweeter with a crossover either active or passive to split the signal...

Can't run active with a mid and tweeter sharing a channel. Active requires each driver have it's own dedicated channel as the processing occurs at the preamp stage.

Do NOT do this. Your music is stereo. You must maintain independent left and right channels for the speakers in order to maintain stereo sound. Your proposed plan would not separate left and right signals, the results would be disastrous.....an aural abomination. The left speakers must only receive left channel information, the right speakers only right channel information.

You have three main options;

1. Run the front speakers (mids and tweeters) with passive crossovers, with the left mid and tweeter on channel 1 through a passive crossover and the right mid and tweeter on channel 2 through a passive crossover.
  2. Add a smaller 2-channel amplifier to the system to run the tweeters and try to run the system actively. Then you could have one tweeter on each channel of the 2-channel amplifier (left TW on CH1, right TW on CH2) and use two of the channels on the 4-channel amp for the mids (left Mid on CH1 and right Mid on CH2; CH3/4 bridged to the sub).
  3. Add a dedicted subwoofer to the system and run both the mids and tweeters from the 4-channel amplifier actively (left TW on CH1, right TW on CH2, left mid on CH3, right mid on CH4; subwoofer on the mono amp).

Honestly, given your experience level.....active sounds like an extremely bad plan for you. Your best option would be to go with a passive component set. In other words, don't look for mids and tweeters separately.....look at one of the many predesigned component sets from the main manufacturers.

Really, we need to start from scratch. What is your budget?

do not know what you mean by on or off axis??

Axis basically refers to the speakers aiming in relation to your listening position (the drivers seat). If the speakers are aimed towards you, that's on-axis. If they're not aimed towards you, the are off-axis.

My initial plan was to use the sax 100.4D for a total system amp, front stage (tweeters & mids) & sub, in an active setup. And later add a dedicated sub amp, and use the ch 3/4 on sax 100.4D for mid bass drivers. However I can clearly see thats not possible.

Thanks for your insightful response, I would have to go back to the drawing board and figure out which way I would go, looks like I would have to start passive and later on go active, with a dedicated sub amp, and also include a third amp (2 ch) for mid bass.

One remaining question I have, would mid bass be mono or stereo?

thanks for all the responses....

run channel 1 for a mid and a tweeter with a crossover either active or passive to split the signal... run channel 2 to run a mid and a tweeter with a crossover either active or passive to split the signal...

Can't run active with a mid and tweeter sharing a channel. Active requires each driver have it's own dedicated channel as the processing occurs at the preamp stage.

You are quite right... brain fart for a min there... SORRY! Thats what i get for replying from work.

Stereo. Simple rule of thumb.....you need a "left" and a "right" for everything except the subwoofer. Midbass, midrange, treble (tweeters)....all stereo.

You can still run the system from the single 4-channel amplifier.....it'll just require you use a passive crossover for the mids and tweeters instead of running active. I had a system like this a couple years ago and really loved the simplicity of it.

Were you wanting a single amplifier for space reasons, simplicity reasons, or budget reasons?

Stereo. Simple rule of thumb.....you need a "left" and a "right" for everything except the subwoofer. Midbass, midrange, treble (tweeters)....all stereo.

You can still run the system from the single 4-channel amplifier.....it'll just require you use a passive crossover for the mids and tweeters instead of running active. I had a system like this a couple years ago and really loved the simplicity of it.

Were you wanting a single amplifier for space reasons, simplicity reasons, or budget reasons?

Yeah I will run the single 4 ch amp for now, and add as money comes in, thanks alot for all your help..

Wow this thread helped me out a lot. I cannot find a good pair of tweeters by search engine. Besides speakers from rockford fosgate :peepwall:

I would set up just the front stage on the 100.4 now and add a monoblock for the subs later when you get the funds.

You will need time to tune it anyway.

:fing34:

Wow this thread helped me out a lot. I cannot find a good pair of tweeters by search engine. Besides speakers from rockford fosgate :peepwall:

Tons of good tweeters out there, but RF no longer really makes any of them....at least not that I've heard lately.

As for the OP. Either up the amplifier ante now or buy a comp set, you don't really have any other choice.

good luck and let us know what you end up with... :)