Sign in to follow this  
smashedz28

Battery hold downs

How do you guys strap your rear battery's down from moving? Im trying to add a second battery to my s10 and im kind of stumped right now, i have a few extreme idea's but its alot of damn work. I did it in my tahoe but it was easy, perfect spot under rear seat, this one will be where the rear fold down seat would be in an extended cab S10.

what i have right now is the seat removed and I built a false floor in the area, I have a battery box but its too tall for this battery, i could cut it down maybe 3-4" but im afraid its gonna look horrible. i could also build like a battery box out of wood and screw it down, but my woodworking skills arent the greatest either, probably wouldn't look to hot either. Maybe you guys can help me with some idea's or tell me the ways you have done this in your vehicle. I had to give it a break today, started getting frustrated after doing the big 3 and running my 1/0 ga wire. figured i would get back on it in the morning with hopefully a better plan of attack.

If the box you have now is too tall could you put a block of wood into it to lift the battery? Or something to raise the battery to where you want it.

In my scion I cut part of the false floor storage tray and slid them into that. Then used bungie cords to secure it to the car. They don't move at all.

You could try a block of wood with L brackets on the ends of it. Not sure if it will work as good with larger batteries

its a group 24 battery, not extremely huge. This is my idea as of right now west marine . that MIGHT work. if that doesnt work then my dad was saying i should get some threaded rod, put it thru the false floor front and back, then a piece of aluminum across the top secured to the rods.

As far as putting blocks in the bottom of the tray, thats something i didnt think about to be honest. The battery box is plastic though and im afraid that wont be too strong with the battery sitting up that high in the box.

Im still interested to hear how you guys have done this. please keep posting.

the battery I have is the 3rd one down in this picture here . im not sure if the west marine hold down will clear the dual post part or not.

Ok, thinking i figured it out. This very simple to do, should hold the battery just fine. and under $10.

building a box out of spare mdf for mine

Nothing, all 3 of my rear batteries hold them selves down with their own weight. :)

Nothing, all 3 of my rear batteries hold them selves down with their own weight. :)

until you get into a car accident and they fly through the cabin?

Ok, thinking i figured it out. This very simple to do, should hold the battery just fine. and under $10.

This is what I am using and was going to suggest.

i just use vel-crow from wal-mart! it worked for my battery that was 50lb's! never moved once on me!

or you can use 4 little L brackets about 10cents each at home depot but if you use those you could risk the battery jumping out IF you go over a big big big bump at a high rate of speed lol!

or one of those ideas you listed above will also work!

but my personal favorite is vel-crow! cheap and works great!

until you get into a car accident and they fly through the cabin?

As of now they have a set of seats to go through, and in a few weeks they will have a wall to get through. lol

They sell plastic battery boxes by the batteries in wal-mart.

I went ahead and used that strap i linked. had to use 2 strips of MDF on the sides to keep it from moving and screwed the false floor under it to the floor of the vehicle, not goin anywhere

DSCN0415.jpg