Dictator1992

Stained,Varnished sub box!

Well here is my dual 12inch box i built. Love the box design and everything came out really clean! (Sorry about quality of pics taken with camcorder SONY HD'S suck for pics!)

I decided not to paint,vinly or carpet wanted to do something a little different stain and varnish the box like piece of furniture type of look.

The results i gathered where alright mdf didnt like to soak that much stain and varnish up easy. MDF isnt wood so you wont get the best results.

(Miniwax Products)

320 sand paper before any layers

Stain-1 Layer

Sanding Sealer-1Layer

Varnish-5layers(First 2layers of varnish was sanded with 320grit , 3rd and 4th 600grit)

The look of the box came out little darker then i wanted with a decent mirror reflection and GREAT glossy look. Didnt even polish wax or buff the box out yet and its crazy SHINY!

dsc00046dd.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dsc00048ns.jpg

dsc00049pz.jpg

dsc00058ib.jpg

Thats are Guard dog, Mean Little SNOWBALL! it has 13POUNDS of pure muscle on it!

dsc00061du.jpg

Edited by Dictator1992

Hard to tell anything from the pics buddy.

Take some out in the sunshine. Good light will make your pics 100x's better.

Cute pooch.

Fred wants to come pay her a visit. lol

at the risk of being a dick.

those are the worst pics ever.

Get some better pictures, outside in the daylight should work well. I have been thinking about doing this with my next box, would really like to see how it turned out.

Yeah i know they look horrible just going to try to take a video.....

Cute pooch! Pics of the box, Meh!

:roflmao:

Yeah i know they look horrible just going to try to take a video.....

:popcorn:

Alright here is ALOT BETTER pics took it with actually a camera this time lol.

Only got a couple build pics of the box battery died

Before anything on the wood

hpim4662.jpg

last build photo!

hpim4661n.jpg

Now the real deal pics! The little specs you see is glue i didnt sand off didnt realize it was their till i started to stain :noob:

hpim4661n.jpg

The shiny spots you see on the box is the sun reflecting on it real shiny!

hpim4666s.jpg

Nice clean sexy photo. You know you dig that volvo a*s

hpim4667.jpg

Bottom right has one little glue spec SO pissed about that crap!

hpim4668.jpg

Look to the left of the port you see a glue spot again, I want to shoot myself for this crap!

Word of advice if you ever stain or varnish LOOK OVER the whole box for all glue spots really really carefully break out the geazer magnifier if that helps because i dam shure should i used one!

hpim4670.jpg

Overall i say the stain and varnish came out really good considering i never used stain or varnish before!

hpim4672.jpg

Edited by Dictator1992

Love the finish :drink40:

And it matches the interior ;)

Some in the sun photo which makes the box glow!

If you look at the bottom you can see the grass reflection in the box its like a mirror lol!

hpim4673t.jpg

Just a nice back photo of the box.

hpim4674g.jpg

Those crates make the box look really custom :)

hpim4676.jpg

The bottom left of the box just has carpet fuzz on it from the wagon.

hpim4677.jpg

Now when i did the stain and varnish i used the cheapest brush's i could get my hands on which is a no no no but i didnt feel like spending 30$ is brush's!

hpim4678.jpg

Just some pics for those pic whores, Not trying to be 2 repetitive!

hpim4681.jpg

Crazy shiny lol!

hpim4682.jpg

Close up photo to see the mdf grain lol NOT no such thing as grain in mdf stain varnish fail!

hpim4683.jpg

The biggest mistake of the whole box was the side's but you wont see those in the wagon so not a biggy

hpim4683.jpg

Fail side

hpim4680f.jpg

Edited by Dictator1992

Love the finish :drink40:

And it matches the interior ;)

Thanks stefan, The stain i went with was a little darker then i wanted it to be since the interior is more of a light color.On the + Side the color black matchs the stain real good so the bl's will look pretty good in their not flushed!

Dare I ask why you didn't go with 15s or 18s? Looks like you got the room :peepwall:

:D

Love the box bro. Been wantin to do this with a birch box I have for a while. Box is going in my bro-in-law's car now, but still may attempt this. Thinkin a cherry wood look.

Edited by PHATBOi

Didn't think MDF could look that good with a stain...Good Job!! :fing34:

Turned out good Doo!

I agree, in the back of my head I thought it was not a good idea to stain MDF, proved me wrong.

@Stefan, I told him first time I saw it there was a ton of wasted space in that wagon. lol

I think he needed the room to put his purse back there.

HAHA - I kid.

Dare I ask why you didn't go with 15s or 18s? Looks like you got the room :peepwall:

:D

Really didnt feel like droping 1k on a new set of speaks since i have lots other stuff to do to the wagon! Sir-lancelot did offer too sell his two 18inch xcons for a hell of a price but i need a alt and new paint job for the wagon!

In time for shure i will have 18's :)) Just let me tap the potential with my 12's first.

Turned out good Doo!I agree, in the back of my head I thought it was not a good idea to stain MDF, proved me wrong.@Stefan, I told him first time I saw it there was a ton of wasted space in that wagon. lolI think he needed the room to put his purse back there. HAHA - I kid.

haha

Dare I ask why you didn't go with 15s or 18s? Looks like you got the room :peepwall::D
Really didnt feel like droping 1k on a new set of speaks since i have lots other stuff to do to the wagon! Sir-lancelot did offer too sell his two 18inch xcons for a hell of a price but i need a alt and new paint job for the wagon! In time for shure i will have 18's :)) Just let me tap the potential with my 12's first.

Just curious, didn't know you already had the 12s. I'm just happy my volvo has tons of space, that the substage will take up the whole cargo area, but I'll be able to carry more people / stuff in the back seats then I ever could in the jeep.

win win situation

Love the box bro. Been wantin to do this with a birch box I have for a while. Box is going in my bro-in-law's car now, but still may attempt this. Thinkin a cherry wood look.

Yeah its really not that bad of a finish with the stain and varnish, Cost was a little pricey but the amount of crap i have left over of varnish and stain will last for a couple more box's in the future!

Tips's

>GET GOOD sandpaper i used 3m AND it clogged so quick!

>Nice paint brushs will make it real smooth to the touch and more of a deeper shine also helps apply your layers more evenly and light. Layers to heavy will cause air bubbles and un even coats which wont make the finish turn out good!

Edited by Dictator1992

wow that looks awesome. looks like a oldschool home stereo box. but a very fancy version. good job

Turned out good Doo!I agree, in the back of my head I thought it was not a good idea to stain MDF, proved me wrong.@Stefan, I told him first time I saw it there was a ton of wasted space in that wagon. lolI think he needed the room to put his purse back there. HAHA - I kid.

haha

Dare I ask why you didn't go with 15s or 18s? Looks like you got the room :peepwall::D
Really didnt feel like droping 1k on a new set of speaks since i have lots other stuff to do to the wagon! Sir-lancelot did offer too sell his two 18inch xcons for a hell of a price but i need a alt and new paint job for the wagon! In time for shure i will have 18's :)) Just let me tap the potential with my 12's first.

Yeah i have the subs and the amp already gave me the advantage to spend the extra time on staining and varnishing instead of working to afford those high priced items lol. Yeah your volvo is pimp stefan but what volvo isnt pimp!

Just curious, didn't know you already had the 12s. I'm just happy my volvo has tons of space, that the substage will take up the whole cargo area, but I'll be able to carry more people / stuff in the back seats then I ever could in the jeep.

win win situation

wow that looks awesome. looks like a oldschool home stereo box. but a very fancy version. good job

lol thanks never thought of it like that!

Didn't think MDF could look that good with a stain...Good Job!! :fing34:

Yeah i had my doubts to when i started the process . My back up plan was just to paint it black if it turned out like crap but didnt have to resort to that!