shankumz

Muffled sound when volume is too high

When ever i cruise around with my brother. He somtimes likes to turn up the volume to the point where the bass isnt clear at all but has a muffled sound and isnt as loud as it was at a lower volume. Also the speakers distort at such high volume. I hate to admit it to him but he thinks when the bass hits at such high volume the bass that is traveling towards you is being messed up

My belief is when you turn it up high enough, the air flow in the port cause too much air flow and can cause port noise. You can accualy hear the air moving back and forth in the port. My brother's box is about tuned to 46 hz and is about 2-3 c ft. a apline type r with 1200 watts rms

your right, it sounds like not enough port area.

I hope that's a joke, he didn't specify any port dimensions :ughdunno:

OP, for one, the box is tuned way too high, his subsonic filter may vary well be set wrong and thus allows the driver to unload very quickly on just about any music, or the signal is being clipped and just sounds like shit, or not enough port area.

Without port dimensions and actual box volume it's hard to get a straight answer on port area noise being the issue here.

your right, it sounds like not enough port area.

I hope that's a joke, he didn't specify any port dimensions :ughdunno:

OP, for one, the box is tuned way too high, his subsonic filter may vary well be set wrong and thus allows the driver to unload very quickly on just about any music, or the signal is being clipped and just sounds like shit, or not enough port area.

Without port dimensions and actual box volume it's hard to get a straight answer on port area noise being the issue here.

I will try to give you the name of the accual box. because this box wasnt pre made. It was already made in factory. The port is rounded and i would say its about 5 inches in diameter. I know this isn't axact measurments but i hope i get full detail of the box

I also keep trying to tell my bro to tune his box lower but he says it's fine like it is. I can tell him he could be getting more than he is getting right now. PLus his fuse holder is fucked up. Peices of the fuse are falling apart and the wire is walmart brand. We went to get a alternator from walmart but that alternator did not work for shit. So never ever get any car work done from walmart. or even buy anything from walmart

Edited by TehShankums

1200 rms on a type r ? Are you sure it's 1200 watts? A five inch port is no where near the realm of not enough port for a type r. It would only be around 6.5 inches long if it is tuned to 46 hertz. Is it around 6" long or longer.

1200 rms on a type r ? Are you sure it's 1200 watts? A five inch port is no where near the realm of not enough port for a type r. It would only be around 6.5 inches long if it is tuned to 46 hertz. Is it around 6" long or longer.

That's all my brothers stuff. I would never tune my enclosure at 46 hertz. thats too too high. I hope he learns lol

How big of a box would you have if you have a 12" ssa xcon in a box tuned to 32

How big of a box would you have if you have a 12" ssa xcon in a box tuned to 32

Mess around with the port calculators at 12volt, http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#por

Hopefully this will give you an idea of whats going on when you change box volume or port length and in effect change port tuning.

*MOVING TOPIC*

When ever i cruise around with my brother. He somtimes likes to turn up the volume to the point where the bass isnt clear at all but has a muffled sound and isnt as loud as it was at a lower volume. Also the speakers distort at such high volume. I hate to admit it to him but he thinks when the bass hits at such high volume the bass that is traveling towards you is being messed up

My belief is when you turn it up high enough, the air flow in the port cause too much air flow and can cause port noise. You can accualy hear the air moving back and forth in the port. My brother's box is about tuned to 46 hz and is about 2-3 c ft. a apline type r with 1200 watts rms

He's clipping it. Other than the fact that it's tuned too high for music, the box has nothing to do with it. It might be box related if it didn't get louder after a certain point, but the fact that it gets quieter and sounds muffled tells me it's getting clipped.

He's clipping it. Other than the fact that it's tuned too high for music, the box has nothing to do with it. It might be box related if it didn't get louder after a certain point, but the fact that it gets quieter and sounds muffled tells me it's getting clipped.

Clipping doesn't always cause it to get quieter, in fact it usually causes an increase in output.

More information is need. What amp? What electrical modifications do you have done? More specs on box?

low voltage can lead to bad signal which will make the speaker sound like poop.

Crap, I really hate the new advent of everyone recommending 32-34Hz tuning as for MOST drivers and MOST listeners it is WAY too low. 46Hz may be too high, but 32Hz is probably more too low than 46Hz is too high. Of course it is music and taste dependent on top of the driver, but ultra low tuning is not something that should be generically recommended.

Crap, I really hate the new advent of everyone recommending 32-34Hz tuning as for MOST drivers and MOST listeners it is WAY too low. 46Hz may be too high, but 32Hz is probably more too low than 46Hz is too high. Of course it is music and taste dependent on top of the driver, but ultra low tuning is not something that should be generically recommended.

I'm going to guess his brother primarily listens to rap, (possible bad assumption)

And I wasn't going to recommend 32-34hz, I was going to recommend 35hz ;):roflmao:

Well we can wait for the op to reply and hopefully someone will notice the problem.

I'm going to guess his brother primarily listens to rap, (possible bad assumption)

And I wasn't going to recommend 32-34hz, I was going to recommend 35hz ;):roflmao:

Well we can wait for the op to reply and hopefully someone will notice the problem.

And even then 32-34 is a bad recommendation. This is a Type R.

And even then 32-34 is a bad recommendation. This is a Type R.

Don't they work pretty well with 38hz? Just as a general tune to cover most basis.

You know I was reading the topic itself. "muffled sound when volume is high" i had a almost dead on same problem with a component set in my doors. Would sound great even at full volume but maybe a minute into high volume it would act up, would sound as if a pillow was put over the top of them. I was told my amp was up too high, i turned it down and still had the problem. what I think my problem was is that my head unit had a ton of features and I had something turned up too high there, i set the deck to flat and problem went away. Just a thought.

Edited by smashedz28

Clipping doesn't always cause it to get quieter, in fact it usually causes an increase in output.

More information is need. What amp? What electrical modifications do you have done? More specs on box?

Does it cause an increase in output? Yes. Do you understand why? I'm guessing you don't because if you did and actually did real world testing what I said would make sense. I didn't say if it was clipping the input or output either. If the input is clipped, the amp can be doing 5 watts and have the same effect. If the equipment hasn't died yet, I'd be willing to guess the HU or preamp in the amp is clipping.

low voltage can lead to bad signal which will make the speaker sound like poop.

Also true.

You know I was reading the topic itself. "muffled sound when volume is high" i had a almost dead on same problem with a component set in my doors. Would sound great even at full volume but maybe a minute into high volume it would act up, would sound as if a pillow was put over the top of them. I was told my amp was up too high, i turned it down and still had the problem. what I think my problem was is that my head unit had a ton of features and I had something turned up too high there, i set the deck to flat and problem went away. Just a thought.

That's a result of clipping the HU or preamp. It was overdriving it. Sounds like you had a Pioneer LOL

sounds like you are trying to get more out

of your system than it is capable of

personally I would get more power behind those

components , set the gains correctly and stay below

3/4 volume on the head unit

Op is here and yes he does almost always listens to rap. I will have to ask him what enclosure it is.

Excuse me i beleive it was 1200 max watts

No wonder the seller sold The enclosure and the type r for only $100. The type r is def over $100 and the Enclosure is if i remember almost $200. If i find a image of it. You guys will problably fiegure this out in a jip :dancing:

Edited by TehShankums

when dealing with car audio stick to rms ratings, assuming its a decent amp.

No wonder the seller sold The enclosure and the type r for only $100. The type are is def over $100 and the Enclosure is if i remember almost $200. If i find a image of it. You guys will problably fiegure this out in a jip :dancing:

probably sold it because it was stolen... haha anyways, taking some measurements of the box would help more