Sign in to follow this  
rak_24540

Lights dimming help

I have a 99 Siverado LT 5.3. I upgraded big 3, 220 amp alternator, 2 extra kinetik 1800's, running 0 ga wire. I only have a rockford T10001bd,pushing 2 T110's, and a rockford T600-4 running MB quarts 5.25 in kick panel and 6.5 mid bass in doors. Lights still dim when bass hits going down the road. I don't know what else to upgrade to get it to stop. All grounds seem to be good. I was looking to upgrade, that's the reason for 2 kinetiks, but if lights dim with what I have it will go black if I upgrade. Any help on what could be going on. Thanks

Edited by rak_24540

You should have plenty of electrical for that amp.

I would double check those grounds if it were me.

Your lights may be dimming, but do you know what your voltage drop is?

just check your voltage. If your voltage does not drop below 13 and just ignore the dimming lights. My voltage stays at 13.5 when the bass hits and my lights dim and i only have a sundown sae 1200d big 3, and an xs d1200

Sounds like a ground issue. Where is your ground connected for the Kinetiks?

Check your voltage. You may have a faulty alternator but I still cant imagine that your electrical is suffering from a single t10001bd and t600-4. Must be a small mistake with your install.

I'm looking into getting a 300 amp alt now. Just don't know who to get it from. I'm researching now. I'll check grounds again today. I still don't think it should dim with what I have. I'll keep checking. Thanks for help.

You said your grounded to the frame ... Did you upgrade you body grounds also ??

I meant to chassis. I didn't get to check today , just got home. Will do in the morning. Thanks for ideas guys. I'll keep checking. Just frustrating.

I'm looking into getting a 300 amp alt now. Just don't know who to get it from. I'm researching now. I'll check grounds again today. I still don't think it should dim with what I have. I'll keep checking. Thanks for help.

check the DC power section on here.

check the DC power section on here.

Second on the DC Power :drink40: , hell my lights dim sometimes and I have 8 batteries and 2 DC Power 270XP alts and not dropping below 14 volts........sometimes you just gotta live with it.

Second on the DC Power :drink40: , hell my lights dim sometimes and I have 8 batteries and 2 DC Power 270XP alts and not dropping below 14 volts........sometimes you just gotta live with it.

damnnn dude. I cant stand dimming; i couldnt imagine having to live with it even despite havin upgrades to the extent that you do!

This is when a cap. works well. When even a cheap 1/2 farad cap is wired in with the headlights it eliminates the very small voltage changes that effects your headlights.

I have seen small 4 channel amps effect headlights. A lot of newer vehicals you can really notice very small voltage changes in the headlights.

Just my opinion/and what I have done.

Chad

hell my lights dim sometimes and I have 8 batteries and 2 DC Power 270XP alts and not dropping below 14 volts........sometimes you just gotta live with it.

Exactly.

Lights dim due to voltage drop, even if the voltage drop in itself isn't bad (dropping from 15v to 14.5v) the lights will go from being brighter on 15v to lesser on 14.v

What you could do is get HIDs. They look cool, their way brighter, you can get bulbs in almost any temp so you can have a normal stock looking color if you don't want some ricey shit, and your lights shouldn't dim.

HIDs use a ballast and I don't believe they are effected by voltage drop.

^^ i was bout to post the same..

HID's