Sign in to follow this  
turbowrx15

ICON 12 or SA-12?

SSA ICON 12" or SA-12?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. SSA ICON 12" or SA-12?

Ok Ive narrowed it down to these 2 subs going in a 2.34 cu aero ported box.Any opinions or videos on the icons?

Two totally different drivers. With different goals. ughdunno.gif

which one gets louder or sounds better?Do they even have any more Icon 12s?

Since your just stating this vs that, I say icons. Better power handling, sound very good.

And asking for videos shouldn't aid in your decision in ANY way. Seeing if someones door flexes a lot, doesn't mean it's going to be a louder driver...

Any way, I just do happen to have some videos of icons playing...

never owned an icon YET.. but i do own an sa-12. I was very happy with the sundown driver, it left me feeling like i needed another one, but i was able to throw over the rated rms to it no problem in a 1.75 cu ft box tuned to 30hz and it sounded clean, i wanted it so I could play real music and sound good not just slowed down, bass enhanced music. It did what i wanted it to do. Ive heard good about both subs but as mentioned there not exactly in the same category.

I've personally owned and used icons, I loved them. Sound quality was awesome, yet still got loud. I'm currently doing a new build and actually wanted to use some icons but there out of stock, so I ended up going with xcons...

I've never heard any sa12s, just held one once :P

Never heard the Icons, but I heard a wall of 6 SA-12's. Loud as shit and sounded pretty damn good. Dropped stupid low too. I know they are built for different goals, but I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Never heard the Icons, but I heard a wall of 6 SA-12's. Loud as shit and sounded pretty damn good. Dropped stupid low too. I know they are built for different goals, but I don't think you could go wrong either way.

With that amount of cone area, it should be loud, even if it was sony xplods... or the most pristine SQ based driver :P

With that amount of cone area, it should be loud, even if it was sony xplods... or the most pristine SQ based driver :P

Pyle? :ohnoes9:

This.

Please give more info on your goals or needs instead of having people compare two drivers that should not be compared.

This.

Please give more info on your goals or needs instead of having people compare two drivers that should not be compared.

Curious as to why this is? I know the t/s specs are similar and they model almost the same in box software, but that's like saying rum and bourbon taste the same because they're both brown.

This.

Curious as to why this is? I know the t/s specs are similar and they model almost the same in box software, but that's like saying rum and bourbon taste the same because they're both brown.

Jacob points, markets and designed the SA for different customers, needs, or demands then what we did with the Icon. :)

If your looking for more SPL output, the Sundown SA-12 would be a better fit for you.

Go with the Sundown.. If you needed more output you could easily do a second in the future.... :morepower1:

But the Icon can be very loud to.

You want 140dbs with just one 12" ? Not easy. If you want to play music too, it will be harder !

Just my 2 cents.

You can get the SA12 with SPL coils, they handle power better thermally and get louder due to having a lighter moving mass. But won't play as low.

Keep in mind you're comparing a driver designed for 600rms to one designed for 1250.

I can't comment on the Icon at all, but the SA is a very under rated driver. I've been more than happy with mine thus far. They're louder and sound better than my D6s which had a 3" 4 layer coil. Both are built well so you can't go wrong. But I think the SA12 with spl coils will get louder.

vid of my SAs in a trunk, tuning is in the 38 range powered by an atomic 3k(they take the power all day)

This thread is old!!! :peepwall:

This thread is old!!! peepwall.gif

I didn't even look.... Someone must have voted to get it bumped up lol

i'd get icon if you can afford it, but i got an sa cause it's cheaper. It's awesome though, sounds really good. i'm defiantly happy with it

Edited by dimethoxy

Thread is old :Doh: